Oceania Riviera Views Insights Libations Live Extravaganza

ORV

14 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

On an iPhone, hold the $ sign key down and the available icons for pounds, euros, etc will appear. Slide you finger to the one you want and let go (£, €….).

iPhone.  What is that?  🤔  I just looked at my Android phone and it's the same.  Thanks for the hint.  My Android tablet is different.  The second page of symbols has the £.

Edited by 1985rz1

5 hours ago, ORV said:

Thanks for the lesson, I know the difference, just didn’t worry with finding the symbol on my phone. I think if I referred to UK money, we would refer to as 8 pounds. I wasn’t aware that using the abbreviation for pound wasn’t allowed. Here we go, it cost £8.

It was a heavy glass. 

😂😂.

What really confused me was I've heard Americans refer to a 5 ounce pour.  8lbs is 128oz, since lbs is the abbreviation for pounds avoirdupois, as opposed to pounds sterling.  It's your thread ORV, and you can use what you like.  I'm just easily confused.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

On an iPhone, hold the $ sign key down and the available icons for pounds, euros, etc will appear. Slide you finger to the one you want and let go (£, €….).

On my 14 I can push the 123 button , then push the #+= button and it will bring up the choice of € or £ or ¥. Your method sounds like less steps, let’s see if it works on mine. £. Yep, that works too, with more options. ₽¢₩

1 hour ago, ORV said:

On my 14 I can push the 123 button , then push the #+= button and it will bring up the choice of € or £ or ¥. Your method sounds like less steps, let’s see if it works on mine. £. Yep, that works too, with more options. ₽¢₩

Learn something new every day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, DOJO466 said:

And you don't know this ORV?

For some reason I had thought it was at 5:30-6:30 in the past, but these things run together. 

For those interested in such things, there was no shuttle in South Queensferry to Edinburgh. Our friends took a taxi back after a tour yesterday. 32 £(look at what I learned). 

Also no shuttle in Invergordon, but there is not much here. I’m going to Glenmorangie distillery. 

On the other hand, this is a seldom offered itinerary. 

The weather this cruise has been absolutely beautiful. Today is no exception, sunny and mid 70’s, it’s supposed to stay nice as we go north.  Relatively so. 

The food has been pretty much standard for Oceania, really good to excellent with a couple of exceptions. The service everywhere including room stewards has also been great. I’ll update if I see anything to the contrary. 

I do believe we have quite a few Oceania first timers, but have no facts to back that up. 

There has been quite a few wine tasting offers, craft cocktails and craft Gin offers, all at a pretty good premium. No scotch tasting though, go figure. Got to go, we just arrived at the distillery. 

• Like 1

We’ll this tour was  a complete bust, here is what we booked. Price was 169 US dollars. 

A Taste of Scottish Whisky (ING-006)

Port: Invergordon
Tour Length: Half-Day (Approximately 3 1/4 hours)
  • Travel by coach across the Highlands to visit a site dear to every Scottish whisky-drinker’s heart. 
  • Enjoy a personally guided tour of the historic Glenmorangie Distillery, with a wee dram to taste.
  • Learn about the “Men of Tain” who make the delicious spirits here, and see their copper swan-neck stills and the oak casks Glenmorangie ages in. 
  • Spend awhile at the admiring the exhibits at the Visitor Center or shopping the tempting wares at the distillery store.

Savor a personally guided tour of a Scottish Highlands venue that every whisky connoisseur has a soft spot for: Glenmorangie Distillery (or equivalent). These folks have been crafting their range of fine single malt whiskies for over 170 years, using methods as unchanging as the Dornoch Firth terrain that surrounds this scenic locale. Pure, mineral-rich water is still drawn from springs, the best malted barley brought in from local growers. And, most importantly, the “Sixteen Men of Tain” – the distiller’s entire workforce – maintain a commitment to the art of whisky creation that has continued across generations of families and through wars, fire, drought and whatever else life might throw at them. Your distillery tour begins with an introduction to the natural ingredients and time-honored skills that make Glenmorangie so distinct. You’ll see gleaming swan-neck copper stills – tallest in the Highlands – and casks of American oak. And, about 45 minutes into the experience, you’ll be rewarded with a “wee dram” of whisky to sample. Later, at the historic Visitor Center, you can see a magnificent old working steam engine, artifacts from the distillery’s past and a model still. Then, of course, there’s the distillery shop to visit – most dangerous of the sights.

HELPFUL HINTS
  • Wear weather-appropriate clothing; include a light raincoat or umbrella. 
  • Flat, comfortable walking shoes are recommended. 
  • Bring a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen as needed.
PLEASE NOTE
This tour includes about 1.5 hours of walking, along with a significant number of steps to negotiate. The tour is not considered suitable for wheelchair guests and those with mobility concerns are cautioned to evaluate their personal level of stamina before participating. The order of sites visited may vary.

Here is what we got, a bus ride to Glenmorangie distillery, guide told us to wait by visitors center while she coordinates the tour. She comes back and says we don’t have a tour, you only have a tasting. We’re sent to the gift shop and a clerk comes out with a tray of little shots of their baseline 10 year old that you can buy anywhere in the US for $30-$40 a 750 bottle. No descriptions, no information. No offers of any of their other lines. Not even a proper tasting, much less a distillery tour. The clerk checks into things and says we were supposed to be at the Glen Ord distillery, which would have been ok, but it’s too late to go there now, so we get to go wander around a lovey little village called Dornoch for an hour with very little stores or anything to do other enjoy the weather and scenery. 

Who wants to take odds on Oceania making this right without being pressed? I’ll update as we have info. 

Wow  Orv  that is too bad

we did the tour several years ago   found it interesting

Mind you I do not  drink scotch  but many enjoyed the tasting & it showed  LOL

Hope you get something  off the price

@ORV

I know you are on your cruise so no need to do this.

I am sure you have heard that the new Simply More pricing structure was teased to some ta's but not being released until 7/1.  If you were planning to book a future cruise while onboard, wondering if they will discuss it.  Sounds like cruise only is going away and new pricing structure will include beer and wine at lunch and dinner and a set amount of OBC which must be used towards excursions.

Obviously those of us who don't drink or use O excursions are concerned the price will go up beyond what we are willing to pay.

Wondering if the on board bookers have any more details yet.

We are hearing that people who have booked before July 1 will get to keep their current cruise only fair and have the option to upgrade if they want.  Were we onboard we might take the opportunity to book multiple future cruises at cruise only with the added OBC bonus and lower deposit as this sounds like the last opportunity to do so.

Anyway, no problem if you can't and I know you are on vacation.

Have fun.

51 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Wow  Orv  that is too bad

we did the tour several years ago   found it interesting

Mind you I do not  drink scotch  but many enjoyed the tasting & it showed  LOL

Hope you get something  off the price

Yet to be seen, no one at Destination Services until 5. It 3:15 here now, at 5 I have other things to do, then they’ll be closed all day tomorrow. They should make it right without having to deal with them. I don’t go on vacation to have to deal with problems that shouldn’t exist. To say I’m disappointed is an understatement. 

Besides that, if they don’t see it my way then I might start speaking too loud, and some people might think I’m mad. Then my wife gets embarrassed and no one is happy. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

So, for the last two days there has been a craft cocktail tasting in Martinis at 4, with trivia being at 4:15. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out what a mistake that is. 

Woofa, I’ll see what I can find out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Yet to be seen, no one at Destination Services until 5. It 3:15 here now, at 5 I have other things to do, then they’ll be closed all day tomorrow. They should make it right without having to deal with them. I don’t go on vacation to have to deal with problems that shouldn’t exist. To say I’m disappointed is an understatement. 

Besides that, if they don’t see it my way then I might start speaking too loud, and some people might think I’m mad. Then my wife gets embarrassed and no one is happy. 

I am sure they will get plenty of complaints

if not  your Mid cruise survey  would work  or  a letter  dropped off to the GM 😉

Hope the rest of the cruise  works out better 

Lyn

On 6/13/2023 at 10:12 AM, ORV said:

Some tavern, Aberlour 12 yr old, good price, small pour. Supposed to be a double, but only about 8lbs. 

IMG_0692.jpeg

In the UK there are strict laws about the exact quantity of a pour. However, a double can be either 50ml or 70ml depending if the standard pour in the pub is 25ml or 35ml.

https://www.gov.uk/weights-measures-and-packaging-the-law/specified-quantities

In the US its often 1.5 oz for a standard pour so not much less than 50ml. 

England and Wales are more likely to be 25ml/50ml. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ORV said:

For some reason I had thought it was at 5:30-6:30 in the past, but these things run together. 

Just set your watch to a different time zone (there are some half hour ones), and you'll be fine 🍸🍷🍺

So about the inside room. I don’t know if the refurbishment has taken room out of the inside cabin but the one we are in seems much smaller than the one we spent 32 days in on Marina in 2016. It was not an accessible room so that could not make a difference. Other than a very small desk and two tiny bedside tables there are no horizontal surfaces. So people that like to spread their stuff out should avoid this room. We have one small round stool to sit on other than the bed. 

The bathroom is every bit as small as the R ships, with a tiny tiny shower. I might have gained a £ or two since 2016 but I can barely fit in this shower. I’m 6’ 2” and sadly a little bit over 250£ and it’s really tight. The knee room is just as tight. 

Not complaining about this, just reporting. We’re still having a great time. 

DS says they will take care of yesterdays issue by the end of the cruise, waiting to see what the outcome is. 

In Lerwick today, and where we’re anchored is absolutely beautiful. Getting ready to go out and explore. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ORV said:

So about the inside room. I don’t know if the refurbishment has taken room out of the inside cabin but the one we are in seems much smaller than the one we spent 32 days in on Marina in 2016. It was not an accessible room so that could not make a difference. Other than a very small desk and two tiny bedside tables there are no horizontal surfaces. So people that like to spread their stuff out should avoid this room. We have one small round stool to sit on other than the bed. 

The bathroom is every bit as small as the R ships, with a tiny tiny shower. I might have gained a £ or two since 2016 but I can barely fit in this shower. I’m 6’ 2” and sadly a little bit over 250£ and it’s really tight. The knee room is just as tight. 

Not complaining about this, just reporting. We’re still having a great time. 

DS says they will take care of yesterdays issue by the end of the cruise, waiting to see what the outcome is. 

In Lerwick today, and where we’re anchored is absolutely beautiful. Getting ready to go out and explore. 

I found out that sometimes it might be difficult to make comparisons to something we experienced 5-10 years ago. When something looks different, my wife always says "it's not the room, it's you" 😁

Isn't the inside room exactly the same size as all not suite rooms on R ships? Veranda on R ships might give an illusion of space because it's open, but it looks like exactly the same size (just different arrangement of the furniture).

5 hours ago, ORV said:

The memory fades  over time  so maybe  you forgot how small those cabins  were  😉

Friends had one on deck 7  & when we went to look at it   yes  it was compact as you described

Enjoy Lerwick

do not pet the ponies  ..they bite 😉

Are you doing a tour there ?

56 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Isn't the inside room exactly the same size as all not suite rooms on R ships?

I’m on Riviera, and inside is definitely smaller than standard veranda. We were just in one in March and had more room everywhere. Remember, there was never a tub in the insides. 

174 sq inside, 291 veranda, that would include balcony but that’s probably only 60 -75 sq

Edited by ORV

9 minutes ago, ORV said:

I’m on Riviera, and inside is definitely smaller than standard veranda. We were just in one in March and had more room everywhere. Remember, there was never a tub in the insides. 

174 sq inside, 291 veranda, that would include balcony but that’s probably only 60 -75 sq

I was referring to inside on the Riviera/Marina compared to veranda (or all not suite cabins) on R ships. I'm well aware that veranda on O ships is much bigger than inside on O ships.

• Like 1