bluelight discount

25 minutes ago, Bobblehat71 said:

Hi All,

Are RCL currently offering a bluelight discount ?

Yes, but you have to book through K-Mart. (You probably won't get that reference in Wales, sorry, just a dumb joke.)

What's a bluelight discount?

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Haha 8

Blue light is a UK discount scheme for first responders.  I know they were offering a discount over the phone from the UK line, but this was just after Covid.  Maybe give them a ring and see if it's still offered?

I have heard as the discount is not combinable with others, it's not always the cheapest offer

• Thanks 1

That’s funny. FYI, here in the States there was a general goods stores (clothing, home goods, etc) that would have specials on products that would throw on a cart and push to the front of the store. The cart had a pole with a blue light mounted on top - thus “blue light special”. As I recall (I was very young at its heyday), it was the junk that they could not sell any other way. 

thanks for the trip down memory lane and for serving your community 

14 hours ago, jakeil7 said:

That’s funny. FYI, here in the States there was a general goods stores (clothing, home goods, etc) that would have specials on products that would throw on a cart and push to the front of the store. The cart had a pole with a blue light mounted on top - thus “blue light special”. As I recall (I was very young at its heyday), it was the junk that they could not sell any other way. 

thanks for the trip down memory lane and for serving your community 

I was young too, but still remember...."Attention K-Mart shoppers..." as they announced their "blue light special" which would only be available for a short period of time (say 15 minutes or so).  In the USA we'd refer to them as a discount department store, and those specials drew customers with an urgency, since the sale price was over when the light went out.  At their peak, they had close to 2,500 stores world wide while today there are only 9 left, of which 3 are in the USA.  

In their struggle to remain viable, they tried many things, but I don't remember them ever selling Royal Caribbean Cruises.