What changes to dining?

Just now, Merion_Mom said:

I find this reaction fascinating.  "Only found one night without an acceptable and tasty choice."

And that's ok?  That you are on a cruise, paying for all of the nights of your cruise, and one night the menu had NOTHING you wanted to eat?

Certainly IMO, this should not happen.

Everyone else in my party had great food that night.  I am spice adverse and not a fan of their grilled chicken so, no it was not my night.  I had good appetizers and a good dessert.  They are serving thousands of people.  Don’t think it a surprise that occasionally a passenger doesn’t like any of the offerings.  That’s what WJ is for.  The staff tried very hard and I had no problem.  Certainly didn’t starve.

9 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

And you actually experienced that there was just as much variety as before?

Certainly not the case on Oasis.  Many fewer stations, much more repetition. Very noticeably fewer choices.  Just not the same.

I would tend to agree with you that the variety has decreased, but even recently I have always found plenty of things I liked when I ate at the WJ. One thing to keep in mind is I don’t eat too much when I cruise, so that could influence my impression/observations. There are a lot of reasons l enjoy cruising, but food is not high on my priority list. 

These responses are fascinating to me because this is all so subjective. My sister thinks cruise food is wonderful. She would probably call it gourmet. I think she has no taste, lol. I think cruise food is tolerable (and I don't expect anything to be "good" given how many people they have to feed). So whether or not someone on the internet likes the food or not should probably be taken in that context. Anyways -- I do think how opinions vary here is really interesting. Perhaps some of it is attributable to kitchen staffing on particular sailings, but I think most of it is going to be taste/cultural. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I find this reaction fascinating.  "Only found one night without an acceptable and tasty choice."

And that's ok?  That you are on a cruise, paying for all of the nights of your cruise, and one night the menu had NOTHING you wanted to eat?

Certainly IMO, this should not happen.

Agree, tastes are individual though. On our recent 11 and 12 nighters we used 11 day menus and always found something we liked. It was 100% match or lower of course.

I remember such situations on lines more food oriented like Holland for example.

Hopefully poster did not go hungry. Symphony has some other venues.

Btw for us Royal was never a foodie line even when we started in 2004 to sail with them on Splendor of the Seas or Explorer of the Seas. Actually I think I like variety better than back then.

Edited by Tatka

17 hours ago, babchia said:

I have a 14-night cruise coming up in September and have been trying to find copies of all of the different menus that are now offered.  I have only been able to identify the following:

*Welcome Aboard  (usually first night)
*A Taste of France  (usually first formal night)
*A Taste of the Caribbean
*A Taste of the USA
*A Taste of Mexico
*A Taste of Italy
*A Taste of the Mediterranean
A Taste of Royal History
A Taste of Asia
*A Taste of the UK / British
*Welcome to Royal Night  (usually second formal night)
*Welcome to Bon Voyage  (usually last night)

I have not yet been able to locate a copy of the Asia or the Royal History menus on the Internet, and have not found a 13th menu.  Does anyone know where to find all of the new menus?

I’ve been trying to find the extras as well, as I have two 13 night ones in 2024. Last cruise was a 10 night, and had all of the ones mentioned except Royal History and Asia. Head waiter on my last cruise did say they have 20-something total menus for the MDR, but not many sailings they get used on. 

Just followed along a 12 night on Anthem (I believe) in the app to see the menus and did see the Royal History and Asia menus for that sailing. Best bet I think is to try and do the same in the app with a longer sailing if you can find them. Maybe I can follow along with yours in September to see those extra menus 😂

Along with Welcome Aboard, France, Royal Night (for sailings with two+ formals), and Bon Voyage, I’ve also read that Caribbean & Mexico are usually served on the night of first port in those locations too if the sailing has them.