Silversea Dawn - any specific rooms/floors to avoid?

spryder

Are there any known noise or other nuisance issues we should know about when picking a room/floor on Silversea Dawn?  Besides obviously not being under the pool, or under/over a restaurant/club.  Are there any verandas that have obstructed views or is going in for a "Guaranteed Veranda" relatively safe if we don't care about what end/side of the ship we're on.

Thank you!

The only ones we would avoid would be the silver suites and owners suites on Deck 9 as they are under the pool. The verandah suites on deck 9 are not directly under the pool.

Saying that we had members of our trivia team on deck 9 in an owners suite and another in a silver suite and they both said there wasn't a problem.

• Like 1

There's a general consideration for all ships, not just the Dawn, that if you are in a very forward cabin on a lower deck you will probably be very aware of when the anchor is dropped for tender ports, it is reported to be pretty noisy. And you will get much more ocean motion in that area in rough seas.

Going for a guarantee has a fairly high chance you'll get a very forward cabin as they are not so popular.

I never sail in a very forward cabin for those reasons, plus I'm lazy and it's further to walk to everything from there. I was once offered a free last minute upgrade from a vista to a verandah fully forward on deck seven and turned it down.

I'm on the Dawn right now in a 520s cabin which is IMO the best location for a classic verandah.

The very best location on the ship for a combination of quiet, being near everything, and least ocean motion is the 650s cabins - but that's why they're deluxe verandahs. I have sailed in them and there is no noise from Dolce Vita.

The 750s / 760s come a reasonably close second best.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

We were in 529 on Silver Moon and going in 529 later this year on Silver Dawn. Great cabin, ideal location, no noise from Dolce Vita or laundry room. Centrally located.

Edited by tiggertom
  • Like 1

I too was in 529 on the Moon earlier this year and can confirm it’s an excellent cabin. You’d think that being next to Dolce Vita, the launderette, the elevator, and the stairs could be a noise issue but it definitely isn’t - in fact the proximity to those things is an absolute plus. 

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tiggertom said:

We were in 529 on Silver Moon and going in 529 later this year on Silver Dawn. Great cabin, ideal location, no noise from Dolce Vita or laundry room. Centrally located.

I was in that same cabin back in January on Dawn too🙂

• Like 1

I can speak from recent experience, as we were on the Dawn for 38 days in late April and May.  We were booked in suite 639 which is just above the entertainment area of the Dolce Vita lounge.  The Dolce Vita remains quiet until afternoon Trivia and in the evening when they typically have a piano and guitar player who sings.  Occasionally there will be events such as Death by Chocolate and other events that bring the need for live music.  There are large black sound speakers in the ceiling above the stage that vibrate and can be clearly heard in the suites directly above which are suites 636, 637, 638 and 639.  While it can be said that the Dolce Vita seems like a sleepy venue, its amazing how much sound can come from two speakers when you are positioned directly above them.  The couple in 636 moved 5 days into the voyage because of the noise.  The couple next door in 637 also complained but were told they couldn't move because there were no more Deluxe Verandas left.  We endured it until we reached Southampton, where we were able to move up to deck 7 for the last segment of our trip.  On our last cruise in 2022, we were aboard the Moon in suite 653 and heard nothing from Dolce Vita, so its not all the suites on deck 6 that are affected, just the ones directly above the stage.   The reception desk staff told us they are used to receiving complaints from these 4 suites on deck 6.  As jollyjones indicated above, any of the 650's suites are probably the best on the ship.

Edited by CruzinFeraBruzin
typo error

6 hours ago, mancunian said:

Delighted to hear that the 520’s range of cabins and the two thumbs up for 529.  We are on the UK cruise on 27th August in 528.

Not long now Lois - looking forward to possibly having a chat.

Good morning, just about 70 days.......have you popped over to the roll call? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 2:04 PM, Lois R said:

Good morning, just about 70 days.......have you popped over to the roll call? 

Hi Lois.  Yes we have already met up there.

I am disappointed.  We originally booked a vista suite on Dawn for late August.   We werei initially upgraded soon after to 705.  Had rather mixed feelings.  Yes it gave us a veranda but as I use a rollator it seemed a long way to walk.   Actually on SS we are happy with the vista cabins as near dolce vita where I can break my journey to the forward elevator and as we love sitting at the aft are more inclined to sit in Arts Cafe or Panorama.  However we quickly got used to the idea and then on going on to My Silversea noticed we had been moved to 528 and we were delighted.  A veranda and a very convenient cabin and confirmation on here it would be good.

We have just discovered we are back in 705 and now very disappointed.  Had someone made a mistake I wonder.  Anyway we will survive.  We will probably be found with me sitting on rollator taking a rest halfway.  LOL!

33 minutes ago, PSahoy said:

While you’re on the topic of the Dawn can any of you recent travelers share your experiences with SALT and SALT lab? Is it worth SS’s hype or more hokey? Thanks 

Hi, I don't think there is anything hokey about it (just my opinion). I have eaten in the restaurant, had drinks in the Salt Bar (love it there) and have participated in the Salt Lab classes on various cruises. 

It is not like you have to pay extra for any of it.....if you don't enjoy trying new foods or cooking, then by all means, don't try it. But as for being hokey? Nope, not in my view.

• Like 1

Since reservations are not required, ask to see the menu before you sit down and if if you do not see something that  intrigues you, go to Atlantide.  You will have a great meal either way.

I’m on Silver Dawn 524 and it’s the first time we have had any kind of noise.  We would usually be on deck 8 and we thought being lower was causing the problem though reading the posts here is making me realise others on same floor and close to us haven’t had any noise issue at all. Initially we thought it was engine noise though when docked it’s still constant and makes it very difficult to get asleep at night.  I wouldn’t be booking it again.  

3 hours ago, Tudorcruisers said:

I’m on Silver Dawn 524 and it’s the first time we have had any kind of noise.  We would usually be on deck 8 and we thought being lower was causing the problem though reading the posts here is making me realise others on same floor and close to us haven’t had any noise issue at all. Initially we thought it was engine noise though when docked it’s still constant and makes it very difficult to get asleep at night.  I wouldn’t be booking it again.  

Interesting.
I just spent two weeks on the Dawn in cabin 524 and had no problem with noise at all. 
And I’m very sensitive to noise. 
I wonder what’s changed since I disembarked last week. 
Check that the verandah door is fully closed, it needs a unusually firm push to close all the way. If it’s not fully shut you will get outside noise. And of course you will hear the side impellers when docking but they stop when you’re docked. 

The only disruptive noise we heard on deck 5, rm 511, was the side thrusters or side impellers or whatever they are called, when we were docking. However, I seem to recall some other strange noise that I couldn’t identify, didn’t know if it was a toilet flush in adjacent room or something else, but didn’t affect my sleep that I can remember,  it was occasional.