Direct to Wilderness Train - Book Train Only?

BRDLY99

Yes you can.  We did it back in 2019 when we booked a land package before our comped / free cruise.  We booked train and lodging through Pursuit and the train segments were in Adventure and Gold Star.  Adventure were seats that were unsold in the cars used by the cruise lines and we traveled one segment in the Holland America car.  Gold Star is the top class available through the railroad.  Here is another company that sells rail, I have no doubt there are others https://www.alaskatrain.com/information/rates.html

• Like 1

I believe the Alaska Railroad can be booked independently. You might also consider a Rail Tour.

I did a Princess Lodges rail tour that was completely separate from my cruise and loved it. There was no bus travel nor were there lots of organized group excursions or planned meals. We could pick the excursions we wanted at each lodge or do something on our own. To me it was the best of all worlds - hotels, train tickets and transfers arranged, leave luggage outside your door each departure morning and find it in your room at the next destination but spend each day as you wish. 

https://www.princesslodges.com/alaska-rail-tours/learn/

Edited by Torfamm

We booked a last minute Alaskan cruise, and the land tours were sold out.  Booking independently was quite a bit cheaper and we were very happy with our tour (but we did need to handle our own luggage.)  Also, I think you can only leave from Whittier if you are on an official Princess excursion (at least that was the case 12 years ago).  Otherwise you need to travel to Anchorage to pick up transportation to Denali.  We got to visit the wildlife conservation center on the way, which some people hated because it was animals in pens like a  zoo, but we really liked being so close to them.  If you need any more help logistically planning this tour, try the alaska board.  

The OP asked about the "Direct to the Wilderness" trains which run directly between Whittier and Talkeetna or Denali without a need to overnight in Anchorage. Anything involving scheduled Alaska RR trains requires an Anchorage overnight (too early a departure northbound and too late an arrival southbound).

Direct to the Wilderness trains are charters. The last I knew (did a cruise tour in 2018), Talkeetna is served by a train of Alaska RR equipment that goes Whittier-Talkeetna-Whittier in one day. Denali is served by two trains of Princess equipment that go one-way Whittier-Denali or reverse (too far to be covered by one train).

Schedules I had from 2018 are:

Talkeenta service: Dp Whittier 7:15a, Ar Talkeetna 12:45p, Dp Talkeetna 1:45p, Ar Whititer 6:45p

Denali service: Dp Whittier 8:15a, Ar Denali 5:45p and Dp Denali 8:00a, Ar Whiiter 5:30p

The Talkeetna equipment was Seward-based as it was also used for Seward-Anchorage-Seward charter service for other cruise lines on the other five days of the week. So on Princess days (Wednesday and Saturday), the equipment deadheads Seward to Whittier first and then Whittier to Seward at the end of the day.