Viking Ocean Cruises Post-COVID

InsGuy3

We are contemplating a Viking Mars cruise in the Explorers Suite (ES1). We have been on 2 Viking Ocean cruises in the same Suite category just prior to the pandemic and just absolutely loved the Viking experience. During the pandemic, we couldn’t settle on a particular Viking cruise due to various reasons, itinerary, time of year, embarking port, number of days, etc. We have cruised 4 times since Viking with differing experiences and would like to experience the Viking way again. Our main positives about Viking were the dining experiences, the Nordic Spa and massages, the fantastic crew, and the overall atmosphere around the ship. We would love to hear the CC member comments on the Viking experience post-COVID. Has much changed in the dining, the staffing, the entertainment, etc. much appreciated 

Oh boy, you will most likely get a whole lot of positives and negatives here.  We did 2 Viking cruises during 2021 Covid and both were wonderful.  Yes there were glitches with service and start up but the ships were not full and it was SO nice to be cruising.  Did one post Covid cruise (Caribbean & Amazon) this winter and enjoyed it immensely.  However, since it was the first time Viking did this itinerary since before Covid there were some issues.  But as far as the crew enthusiasm and attention, it was 5 star.  The spa and massages were excellent (I had 3), the dining was superb and the overall experience wonderful.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Oh boy, you will most likely get a whole lot of positives and negatives here.  We did 2 Viking cruises during 2021 Covid and both were wonderful.  Yes there were glitches with service and start up but the ships were not full and it was SO nice to be cruising.  Did one post Covid cruise (Caribbean & Amazon) this winter and enjoyed it immensely.  However, since it was the first time Viking did this itinerary since before Covid there were some issues.  But as far as the crew enthusiasm and attention, it was 5 star.  The spa and massages were excellent (I had 3), the dining was superb and the overall experience wonderful.

Thank you so much for your response. We figured people will have all different views and opinions but wonderful to hear that you hit upon all the aspects that we were really interested in and they all seemed very positive. We really enjoyed our 2 previous Viking cruises. In fact we debarked from our last Viking cruise in February 2020 just days before COVID became REAL!

We just completed a 20 day, quite arduous Middle East cruise on Viking Mars. Neither of us developed a respiratory illness. Others did. As far as onboard experiences we didn't notice much difference from our pre Covid Viking cruise.  We on Mars too. 

• Like 2

Thank you, Pushka and Janetcbl. Seems like not much has changed since we last cruised in February 2020. Great to know. We are looking at the Fort Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale via the Panama Canal. 

• Like 1

Took 1st V cruise, Venus Greek Odyssey in Dec 2021. Everything was just perfect, dining, service, shows, tours etc.  Just loved the whole V experience.  Only about 400 pax ,but was told nearly a full compliment crew.  Crew was so happy again to be out there, could not do enough to please us. Sure, we had all the COVID protocols, masking, testing , distancing, temps,  etc., but felt really safe, and thankfully stayed healthy.

I know one's 1st cruise on any line can color your thoughts, but after cruising for about 40 years on X, Royal, O, and Sun Line, we just were very impressed with the V product.

Went again Dec 2022, a TA on Sea, BCN/SJU.  Nearly full and just as fine as 1st.

Have another booked later this year.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info
  • Like 4

I am  currently on the Viking Jupiter. First cruise post  pandemic. Staff, dining service all excellent as before. I did not go to any entertainment because our cruise is port intensive and most of our excursions were at 8:00 am assembly so  stateroom breakfast early and alway we go.

Realized that as I  get older I do like my sleep , usually in bed on the ship by 9:30.pm. 

This  ship was sold out but did not feel like it was crowded at all , only a few times when coming for a lecture  at 6pm there is a wait  for seating in Restaurant, but only for about 10 minutes max.

• Like 2

Thank you, FetaCheese,Twitchly, and Azulann!

All the responses so far are echoing what we hoped would be the case on this fine cruise company. We are also not entertainment show sorts. Getting too old for late night performances. We thoroughly enjoyed the crew, the food, massages the overall atmosphere on the ship, and the nordic pool during our last cruises with V. Seems like those haven't changed after the pandemic.

11 hours ago, InsGuy3 said:

Thank you, Pushka and Janetcbl. Seems like not much has changed since we last cruised in February 2020. Great to know. We are looking at the Fort Lauderdale to Fort Lauderdale via the Panama Canal. 

We just booked this February 2025 Panama cruise on Mars.  

• Like 2