Viking Octantis Great Lakes pre & Post CHICAGO

rosewood jo

Planning to taking this pre-excursion and the trip beginning our pre-extension in Chicago on July 12. Unfortunately got a email from Viking just yesterday dropping the Art Institute of Chicago and the Pasta Making workshop for - it appears - a second architectural walking tour and a food walking tour. Three walking tours in one day?!  Emailed Viking Guest Services and they referred me to the website ... which still shows the Art Institute of Chicago and the Pasta making workshop ... great response (not). The webpage even states activities could change order ... but not that they would change entire activities!

Very disappointed by the change, the lack of explanation from Viking, and the response by Guest Services. We'll go on the pre-extension and let you know ... but be very aware, as we are now, that if you're taking it for the activities they advertise you could be disappointed.

Edited by fdpevey

1 hour ago, rosewood jo said:

We really wanted to go on architecture river cruise too

Have you checked on line to see if the architecture River cruise is offered as a public cruise. We did this tour on our own and it was fascinating…The Art Institute is a great museum….the Chagall windows alone are worth the price of admission.

5 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

Have you checked on line to see if the architecture River cruise is offered as a public cruise. We did this tour on our own and it was fascinating…The Art Institute is a great museum….the Chagall windows alone are worth the price of admission.

Link is in Post #4 of this thread

I'll let you know when we get back. The Architectural Walking and River Cruise appears to still be a part of the pre-excursion in Chicago. And - who knows - this could just be a blip email and what is on the website turns out to be accurate.

After thinking it through, we're going with the plan to have a good time ... no matter what! Isn't that the best idea for any cruise?

• Like 1

I’ll get my letter for the July 21 trip.   Can I share with me the DEPT a phone number  that sent u that letter.    That way I can confirm what our iten really is;).  Thks.   Can’t wait to hear about ur trip 😉

I live in the suburbs of Chicago and most of the things you’d like to do in Chicago are very easy to do on your own.  The Art Institute is right on Michigan Ave and on Thursdays it is open until 8:00 pm.  If you become a member you can get in an hour before everyone else…that may be less money than what you’d pay for a shore excursion.  You can also take an Architectural Boat Tour on your own…you board just off of Michigan Avenue.  The Goodman Theatre is in the Loop on Dearborn Street, 2 blocks west of Michigan Avenue. During July “ Tommy” the musical is playing there and they have matinees on Wednesdays and Saturdays.  The Chicago Theatre is on State Street, 1 block west of Michigan Ave and I am not sure what their shows are,  Wrigley Field is a must see and you can take an Uber, cab or jumper on the Red Line train to get there.  Depending on when you are here, check Stub Hub for tickets or you might get lucky at the Box Office or on the website.  There are lots of good bars and restaurants in the Wrigleyville area.  Chicagoans are very friendly and will point you in the right direction.  Have a great trip and wander around Chicago.  The concierge at your hotel should be able to answer more questions.  Have a great time!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cubs Fan said:

live in the suburbs of Chicago and most of the things you’d like to do in Chicago are very easy to do on your own.

Totally agreed. You won’t need to follow a lollipop to have a good and safe time. 

• Like 2

I’ll get my letter for the July 21 trip.   Can I share with me the DEPT a phone number  that sent u that letter.    That way I can confirm what our iten really is;).  Thks.   Can’t wait to hear about ur trip 😉

8 hours ago, fdpevey said:

I'll let you know when we get back. The Architectural Walking and River Cruise appears to still be a part of the pre-excursion in Chicago. And - who knows - this could just be a blip email and what is on the website turns out to be accurate.

After thinking it through, we're going with the plan to have a good time ... no matter what! Isn't that the best idea for any cruise?

Update - a second reply from vikingguestservices@viking.com to my confusion now says that the email I got from Viking and the first response I got from Guests Services were in error and the pre-excursion will follow what is listed on the website. Go figure - we will see! As I said above, we'll plan to have a good time.

Edited by fdpevey
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rosewood jo said:

Here’s what on the website back in Dec when I bought the pre extention

IMG_5539.jpeg

This is the 2nd itinerary I was given - but not the one on the website for our cruise. No wonder they - and we - are confused!