UBER OR TAXI COST LAX TO LONG BEACH

jamscckmc

7 minutes ago, MTAK said:

This appears to be the more direct route to the hotels near the harbor @Redondo, specifically the hotel we are looking at, and I assumed we would go that way. When you say "not much faster" can you give me an idea of time? Google claims 27 mins. but I realize that may be optomistic.

I'd guess closer to 40 minutes.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I'd guess closer to 40 minutes.

Seems like that might be a better use of our time rather than sitting at an Airport hotel. Any particular reason you mentioned getting a Cab versus using Uber, etc.?

10 hours ago, MTAK said:

Seems like that might be a better use of our time rather than sitting at an Airport hotel. Any particular reason you mentioned getting a Cab versus using Uber, etc.?

No.I prefer Uber, a lot of people have no experience with it.

I was planning on using Uber to go from our LAX hotel to Carnival port Monday late morning. Stories of LA traffic have me scared though!  I’m worried about missing the ship!  Is that something I should be considering when choosing between Carnival’s transfer and Uber?

13 hours ago, Mbcruiser704 said:

I was planning on using Uber to go from our LAX hotel to Carnival port Monday late morning. Stories of LA traffic have me scared though!  I’m worried about missing the ship!  Is that something I should be considering when choosing between Carnival’s transfer and Uber?

No, not at all. There may be traffic, but you won't come close to missing the ship.

• Thanks 1

I wanted to hear if any comments for the area where the Homewood Suites on Redondo Beach is located and if it would be okay to stay in that area for 2 nights pre-cruise?

The other one that we are looking at is Hampton Inn in Torrance.

Not sure which would be better in terms of  the surrounding area especially without a car.

Thanks  

22 hours ago, XSYTD said:

I wanted to hear if any comments for the area where the Homewood Suites on Redondo Beach is located and if it would be okay to stay in that area for 2 nights pre-cruise?

The other one that we are looking at is Hampton Inn in Torrance.

Not sure which would be better in terms of  the surrounding area especially without a car.

Absolutely, 100%, hard NO to the Hampton Inn, which is in CARSON, not Torrance, and that is a huge difference.

I also would not pick the Homewood Suites in Redondo Beach for two nights unless I had a car. The hotel is a business hotel in a very industrial area.

Start at the beginning. When are you coming in and what is your total, nightly budget in U.S. dollars?

Wow, thanks! We are arriving on November 17 for 2 nights before the sailing of the NCL Bliss.

We need a room for 4 as my kids are coming in for the second night. I was primarily trying to reserve something using my Hilton Honors points. Would a hotel near LAX be a better option? We would use Uber to get to the Port and also if we had to scoot around to eat etc.

Is Torrance a better option - I think they may have some availability at this time for the HI for 2 nights.

I would like to use a Hilton property if possible. Is the DoubleTree better? 

Thank you so much for your help. 

5 minutes ago, XSYTD said:

Wow, thanks! We are arriving on November 17 for 2 nights before the sailing of the NCL Bliss.

We need a room for 4 as my kids are coming in for the second night. I was primarily trying to reserve something using my Hilton Honors points. Would a hotel near LAX be a better option? We would use Uber to get to the Port and also if we had to scoot around to eat etc.

Is Torrance a better option - I think they may have some availability at this time for the HI for 2 nights. I would like to use a Hilton property if possible. Is the DoubleTree better? Thank you so much for your help. 

No to LAX for a 2 night stay.

Torrance is a nice area and if you mean the DoubleTree Torrance, it is a great location, just across from the Del Amo Fashion Center, one of the largest malls in America.

38 minutes ago, XSYTD said:

And what about the area near Hampton Inn Hermosa Beach or El Segundo?

The Hermosa Beach area is okay, but not pretty. "El Segundo" is hotel speak for LAX. The Hampton Inn is right next to LAX in an industrial area.

If these are the hotels you can get into with points (and the DoubleTree Torrance is too many points), that tells how Hilton values those properties.

• 1 month later...

We are looking at the Aloft or Fairfield Inn in El Segundo because they have free shuttles from LAX and there seems to be plenty of fast food places nearby and also a Ralphs where we can pick up soda.  Is it safe to walk around this area?

I know the question was for Uber/Lyft but try to Use google maps to find public transportation from LAX to the San Pedro cruise ship terminal— it’s reliable, many different options, relatively quick and direct, and cheap as can be at $1.75 each way! When I looked up Uber/Lyft rides at the time I flew in/out was estimating $75+ Each way .. the Princess transfer bus from LAX was $47 per person each way 

last Saturday for a 4 day princess cruise I got off Southwest Airlines at terminal 1, walked with luggage for 4-5 minutes, hopped on the 232 metro bus then transferred to the silver J bus line to San Pedro, walked 5-6 minutes and was at the cruise check in.. total time was under 2 hours on a Saturday morning… when returning from the cruise Wednesday morning  I did it a bit different- walked the 5-6 minutes to the nearest Metro Silver J line, rode that to the Metro green C line commuter train, then the 232 bus line, 4-5 minute walk to lax terminal 1.. again in well under 2 hours as was a weekday with more frequent buses and trains… $3.50 total cost round trip… I did have plenty of time from my flight to check in/sail away as well as the disembarking/outgoing flight… none of the buses/trains were full/packed, easily got on with one roller and a backpack, felt safe on every transit means… bonus of being able to say I rode in a car, plane, bus, train, ship, and boat on this trip— should have rented a scooter/moped in San Diego or Ensenada! 

LA metro has a electronic card and Apple/android app called TAP that was easy to put money on and use… 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2023 at 7:12 AM, EllieinNJ said:

We are looking at the Aloft or Fairfield Inn in El Segundo because they have free shuttles from LAX and there seems to be plenty of fast food places nearby and also a Ralphs where we can pick up soda.  Is it safe to walk around this area?

During the day, I felt fine walking in the area alone as an older white female.  Just try to avoid secluded areas - the usual.  I don’t think I’d venture out alone after dark just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great info in this string...  hoping for local info...  I have a choice of flights arriving lax at 1140 am or 945 pm on Wednesday.  With hotel and ride to hotel, its more than my flight itself so looking for cheaper option... will 10pm be cheaper getting to crowne plaza?   (Our cruise is thur am...)