UBER OR TAXI COST LAX TO LONG BEACH

jamscckmc

Also, for other's information the trip back from the port to LAX is harder with everyone coming off the boat. Last October when we got off people were being quoted hour+ wait times for Ubers to LAX. Luckily we were going to Long Beach airport. We needed 2 ubers for the 6 of us and a bunch of luggage. Both arrived within 10 minutes with many other people waiting for what I guess were rides to LAX. Both Uber drivers mentioned they only picked us up because we were going to Long Beach and not LAX. Apparently it is a big hassle for them.

Long story short, you might want to use the pre-arranged Uber for pick-up from the port.

• Like 2

We are flying in the day before our cruise, but we arrive at rush hour about 5 pmby the time we get our luggage. How much do you think it will cost to get to San Pedro or Long Beach hotel from LAX at that time? I’m seeing about an hour ride versus without  traffic of about 35 min. I believe I read LB is possibly better  place to stay to explore and find restaurants near the hotel  vs SP ? Curious opinions on that. Thanks for advice on arranging Uber in advance. I assume the advance cost I would receive would account for traffic during rush hour ? 

thanks in advance for the help 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobolz said:

We are flying in the day before our cruise, but we arrive at rush hour about 5 pm by the time we get our luggage. How much do you think it will cost to get to San Pedro or Long Beach hotel from LAX at that time? I’m seeing about an hour ride versus without  traffic of about 35 min.

I believe I read LB is possibly better  place to stay to explore and find restaurants near the hotel  vs SP ? Curious opinions on that. Thanks for advice on arranging Uber in advance. I assume the advance cost I would receive would account for traffic during rush hour ?

On a Friday at rush hour it could be $90 and 90 minutes or more.

I'd seriously consider getting a hotel at LAX. Drop your luggage at the hotel then Uber to the Manhattan Beach Pier area for a nice dinner.

Ubering to the Cruise Center would be a lot easier Saturday morning.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I'd seriously consider getting a hotel at LAX. Drop your luggage at the hotel then Uber to the Manhattan Beach Pier area for a nice dinner.

Thanks Scott 

that’s what we were going to do , but some people suggested just bite the bullet and head down to SP for next day convenience. I thought it would be easier getting a hotel shuttle from LAX  to LAX hotel and then going out to eat in maybe Marina del Ray or Santa Monica  area that night. BTW we are coming in on a Tuesday afternoon, not Friday , will that make a big difference? From the few times I looked on google maps the ride was about an hour at that time of day, but non rush hour was less. If we head to the port the next day around 11:30 , I assume that will be better traffic wise. Heading back to airport from SP port , what time do you suggest we reserve the Uber for a 10:40 flight out of LAX?

thanks again for your help

6 hours ago, bobolz said:

Thanks Scott that’s what we were going to do , but some people suggested just bite the bullet and head down to SP for next day convenience. I thought it would be easier getting a hotel shuttle from LAX  to LAX hotel and then going out to eat in maybe Marina del Ray or Santa Monica  area that night. BTW we are coming in on a Tuesday afternoon, not Friday , will that make a big difference? From the few times I looked on google maps the ride was about an hour at that time of day, but non rush hour was less. If we head to the port the next day around 11:30 , I assume that will be better traffic wise. Heading back to airport from SP port , what time do you suggest we reserve the Uber for a 10:40 flight out of LAX? thanks again for your help

Tuesday vs Friday, and even more important, Wednesday morning vs Saturday morning, does change things.

I would bite the bullet on Tuesday and head to San Pedro.

I don't know where you are flying back to (or on what day), but if I was flying out of LAX, I would not be comfortable with a 10:40AM departure. I'd try to not schedule be 12PM, but in some cases, that is not practical.

Since we live in So Cal, we never do an early morning walk off, in fact the opposite, we hang on the ship until the last possible moment. By the time we hit ICE (or whoever it is that checks your passport) there is almost no one else there and we breeze through. I would not want to end a nice relaxing vacation by stressing myself out over a flight. When we cruise out of FL, if there is not a good flight back to SAN or SNA, we stay another day and eat Cuban food.

• Like 1

We got off the Emerald Princess yesterday, Saturday morning, 6/24.  We walked off with our luggage, walked to the ride share area and ordered a Lyft ride - waited around 15 minutes for the arrival and it cost around $45 (incl tip to driver) to get to LAX.  The trip only took about 35 minutes. 

It WAS NOT a mob scene at the ride share area.

We got to the airport with hours and hours to spare.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JGmf said:

We got off the Emerald Princess yesterday, Saturday morning, 6/24. 

I don't know what day bobolz is returning on their cruise, but getting to LAX on a Saturday or Sunday, from San Pedro is very different from doing it on Monday through Friday, especially coming out of the port area.

23 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I don't know what day bobolz is returning on their cruise, but getting to LAX on a Saturday or Sunday, from San Pedro is very different from doing it on Monday through Friday, especially coming out of the port area.

FYI I am returning on a Wednesday . I really hope it will not be a problem if we leave early like 7 am otherwise I may have to change my flight . I would be interested on any others who may have done this transfer from cruise port in SP to LAX during a weekday. FYI, my flight is domestic. 

thanks

13 hours ago, bobolz said:

FYI I am returning on a Wednesday . I really hope it will not be a problem if we leave early like 7 am otherwise I may have to change my flight . I would be interested on any others who may have done this transfer from cruise port in SP to LAX during a weekday. FYI, my flight is domestic.

If you are off the ship and through immigration by 7:30AM, you should be okay. But that assumes everything goes perfectly, or even normally. I build into my planning abnormalities. The other day we a homeless woman who wandered onto the San Diego Freeway and caused a massive tie up.

On 6/30/2023 at 12:37 PM, Milhouse said:

Data point

Fri Nov 4 1130am LAX to Long Beach Renaissance Hotel.  Day before the cruise.

Lyft.  29min ride.  Just under $35 with fees but before tip.

Hi milhouse 

what day and time of day did you travel from LAX? We are getting in at afternoon rush hour it shows about an hour ride at that time. 

anyone experienced cruise port back to lax via Uber in morning rush hour.? Curious what time you left the ship? TIA

4 minutes ago, bobolz said:

what day and time of day did you travel from LAX

The data I quoted was pulled from my ride history. 

We got picked up from LAX to Long Beach at 11:30am on Friday Nov 4 (2022).

We took our time getting off the ship since we had an evening flight so we were close to last off.  I forget the exact timing when we got off but it was likely around 9:00am on a Saturday.  Very few pax on the ship so last disembarkation numbers were called pretty quick.  It took forever for us to get an Uber to Santa Monica.  Not apples to apples but we got assigned an Uber at 9:36am but didn't get picked up until 9:57am and got to Santa Monica around 10:40am.

6 minutes ago, Milhouse said:

The data I quoted was pulled from my ride history. 

We got picked up from LAX to Long Beach at 11:30am on Friday Nov 4 (2022).

We took our time getting off the ship since we had an evening flight so we were close to last off.  I forget the exact timing when we got off but it was likely around 9:00am on a Saturday.  Very few pax on the ship so last disembarkation numbers were called pretty quick.  It took forever for us to get an Uber to Santa Monica.  Not apples to apples but we got assigned an Uber at 9:36am but didn't get picked up until 9:57am and got to Santa Monica around 10:40am.

Thanks milhouse, sorry I totally missed the time and day you traveled from LAX to Long Beach, obviously I was not paying attention. 😳 knowing that leaving the LAX area before noon is probably better than afternoon rush hour, we may just stay the night at LAX hotel  the night before  and use their free shuttle service from lax and then Uber the next day to the port in San Pedro. 

I’ll keep googling to see if late morning is still ideal as well as reserve in advance an Uber back to lax on our return to avoid potential waiting at the port for same day Uber request. 

thanks again for sharing your experience. 

On 6/24/2023 at 11:42 PM, scottca075 said:

Our LAX arrival is at 6:45 PM on a Friday. Based on your comments and others I've read, we would be better off staying that night near LAX instead of trying to get to San Pedro, correct?

We have the option of earlier arrival at 11:15 AM, but the Crown Plaza check-in isn't until 4:00 PM, and that also means a very early departure from our home airport. 

This is our first trip to LA so I am trying to figure out what the best option is.

28 minutes ago, MTAK said:

Our LAX arrival is at 6:45 PM on a Friday. Based on your comments and others I've read, we would be better off staying that night near LAX instead of trying to get to San Pedro, correct?

Assuming you have checked luggage and you are going to get a cab or Uber, by the time you leave the airport it could 7:15PM to 7:30PM and I think traffic should have died down by then and you are looking at 40-45 minutes to the port and $38-50 for Uber.

These are all under usual circumstances, one accident can change everything.

17 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Assuming you have checked luggage and you are going to get a cab or Uber, by the time you leave the airport it could 7:15PM to 7:30PM and I think traffic should have died down by then and you are looking at 40-45 minutes to the port and $38-50 for Uber.

Thanks, this is helpful information.

• 3 months later...
On 7/6/2023 at 10:34 AM, scottca075 said:

As a follow-up, our flight changed to a 2:40 PM LAX arrival on Friday for a Saturday cruise departure. We travel with carry-on bags. Our preference would be to get to the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro, but if this is going to be a big headache then we can consider other options. I'm also looking at the Redondo Beach Hotel. Staying near LAX would of course be least desirable.

11 hours ago, MTAK said:

As a follow-up, our flight changed to a 2:40 PM LAX arrival on Friday for a Saturday cruise departure. We travel with carry-on bags. Our preference would be to get to the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro, but if this is going to be a big headache then we can consider other options. I'm also looking at the Redondo Beach Hotel. Staying near LAX would of course be least desirable.

The new flight time puts you in the worst traffic LA has to offer. I'd stay at LAX.

8 hours ago, scottca075 said:

The new flight time puts you in the worst traffic LA has to offer. I'd stay at LAX.

I was afraid that would be your response. It seems there really isn't a good time to arrive on a Friday. I was hoping to at least get to the Redondo Beach Hotel for an enjoyable evening.

1 hour ago, MTAK said:

I was afraid that would be your response. It seems there really isn't a good time to arrive on a Friday. I was hoping to at least get to the Redondo Beach Hotel for an enjoyable evening.

Arriving before 12:30PM or after 6:30PM a Friday is fine. Any time between 2PM and 6PM is truly awful on a Friday and the very worst part of the 405 Freeway heading south is the LAX area and the South Bay Curve, the section of the freeway that bends away from Palos Verdes. That puts Redondo Beach squarely in that traffic pattern.

If you want to go to Redondo, and not be frustrated by gridlock traffic, I pay for a cab to go down Coast Highway. It may not be much faster, but it would be more enjoyable.

You could also look in Manhattan Beach. Shade is expensive, but a killer location in Downtown MB and walkable to all the great dining.

8 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

If you want to go to Redondo, and not be frustrated by gridlock traffic, I pay for a cab to go down Coast Highway. It may not be much faster, but it would be more enjoyable.

This appears to be the more direct route to the hotels near the harbor @Redondo, specifically the hotel we are looking at, and I assumed we would go that way. When you say "not much faster" can you give me an idea of time? Google claims 27 mins. but I realize that may be optomistic.