Getting off really early in Quebec?

JS4413

Hello all, we are booked on the Princess Classic New England cruise in October. It departs NYC and arrives in Quebec Oct 18 at 10 am and the ship is docked overnight; cruise is officially over Oct 19.  We would like to catch a 6:45 flight out of YQB which means we will have to arrange our own airport transportation and leave the ship about 0400 on October 19. I have never known Princess to get in anyone's way the morning a cruise ends to leave the ship but would like to see what experience others have had in this situation. We are prepared to walk off with our luggage.  Thanks!

10 hours ago, JS4413 said:

Hello all, we are booked on the Princess Classic New England cruise in October. It departs NYC and arrives in Quebec Oct 18 at 10 am and the ship is docked overnight; cruise is officially over Oct 19.  We would like to catch a 6:45 flight out of YQB which means we will have to arrange our own airport transportation and leave the ship about 0400 on October 19. I have never known Princess to get in anyone's way the morning a cruise ends to leave the ship but would like to see what experience others have had in this situation. We are prepared to walk off with our luggage.  Thanks!

I really don't think that's possible. You will have to clear Canadian customs, and they won't be there at 4:00AM in the morning. Ports usually don't provide security/immigration service for 24 hours.

Yes, you can. You need to get the permission from Princess in advance. We are cruising out of NYC in August and requested permission to debark at our last port of call (St. John's, NL) rather than return to NYC. It's called a "Route Deviation Request" and, once approved, Princess will send you a confirmation that clearly states your requested deviation as well as it showing under your booking details in your cruise personalizer. Mine now looks like this:

We use a TA, so we requested the change through her but expect it's easy enough to do by yourself if you booked on your own. People do this all of the time around the world. 

10 minutes ago, paradiselivin1 said:

Yes, you can. You need to get the permission from Princess in advance. We are cruising out of NYC in August and requested permission to debark at our last port of call (St. John's, NL) rather than return to NYC. It's called a "Route Deviation Request" and, once approved, Princess will send you a confirmation that clearly states your requested deviation as well as it showing under your booking details in your cruise personalizer. Mine now looks like this:

We use a TA, so we requested the change through her but expect it's easy enough to do by yourself if you booked on your own. People do this all of the time around the world. 

Are you sure this is the same circumstance the OP is questioning?  They are not looking to disembark prior to the last port of call.  They want to disembark at the last port but want to do it early.  I would think the issue is whether or not customs officials will be available at that early hour.  Having said that, perhaps there is a way they can handle the customs requirements the day before the cruise officially ends.  I have no knowledge if this is an option.  Just throwing it out there.

3 hours ago, EDVM96 said:

I really don't think that's possible. You will have to clear Canadian customs, and they won't be there at 4:00AM in the morning. Ports usually don't provide security/immigration service for 24 hours.

FYI  On this voyage you will clear Canadian Customs at the first Canadian port.  In this case, St. John so you will have been already cleared on arrival in Quebec City.    Cannot comment on being able to leave the ship in the early AM.

Enjoy this wonderful itinerary.

Cheers

Louden

to be sure ask Princess. We did the New England cruise last summer on the Caribbean Princess and just walked off the ship. Taking your own luggage with you is super handy. As it's your second day in Quebec, as was ours, disembarkation was a breeze. I think you can walk off any time you want but again ask Princess.

On 6/22/2023 at 4:48 AM, EDVM96 said:

The ship has Canadian stops prior to Quebec City. Why would they need to clear customs again?

18 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

The ship has Canadian stops prior to Quebec City. 

Yes, of course. But people leave the ship at these ports just for the day usually with hand luggage. So they don't clear customs with the main luggage. And what about the canadian E311 - customs declaration card?