First post pandemic cruise . Encore Athens-Athens June 14-25

lexus man

We’re just approaching the end of our long-awaited return to cruising. The ship is near enough capacity; I’m told only one free suite. It’s been a very hot weather Med cruise and deck 9 has been heaving with people on the two sea days. First time I’ve met Captain Sybe de Boer; he seems a very affable chap. Cruise director has been Clark on his first CD contract; he has been shadowed by John Barron. Obviously new as he let his first trivia question descend into fierce debate about the accuracy of the answer. 

We have three nights left on board and have noticed a sudden surge of attentiveness from the wait staff. It’s a shame it’s taken over a week for glasses to be filled without effort. It’s been a strange mix of guests, with many Australian pharmacists on board, clocking up continuing professional development hours in Seminars. 

We had a great Chef*s shopping tour in Syracuse with chef Lindsay. He made certain we had tastes of everything he was looking at. But it was strange that when I asked about a special order of Nigerian shrimps, he said there were none on board, and lo and behold the next night they were the main course at Earth and Ocean. Full credit to Patio Maitre’d Jonas for recognising that I was thrilled with the dinner and he brought over another round of the crustacea without my asking.

In a nod to previous questions, i’m delighted that we can now order room service champagne by the bottle. As little as 4 years ago I was told that I could have as many glasses as I wanted, but a full bottle left in the suite would be charged to my account.

Have to go now as I’ve just been given a pina colada and it would be rude not to drink it.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, lexus man said:

We’re just approaching the end of our long-awaited return to cruising. The ship is near enough capacity; I’m told only one free suite. It’s been a very hot weather Med cruise and deck 9 has been heaving with people on the two sea days. First time I’ve met Captain Sybe de Boer; he seems a very affable chap. Cruise director has been Clark on his first CD contract; he has been shadowed by John Barron. Obviously new as he let his first trivia question descend into fierce debate about the accuracy of the answer. 

We have three nights left on board and have noticed a sudden surge of attentiveness from the wait staff. It’s a shame it’s taken over a week for glasses to be filled without effort. It’s been a strange mix of guests, with many Australian pharmacists on board, clocking up continuing professional development hours in Seminars. 

We had a great Chef*s shopping tour in Syracuse with chef Lindsay. He made certain we had tastes of everything he was looking at. But it was strange that when I asked about a special order of Nigerian shrimps, he said there were none on board, and lo and behold the next night they were the main course at Earth and Ocean. Full credit to Patio Maitre’d Jonas for recognising that I was thrilled with the dinner and he brought over another round of the crustacea without my asking.

In a nod to previous questions, i’m delighted that we can now order room service champagne by the bottle. As little as 4 years ago I was told that I could have as many glasses as I wanted, but a full bottle left in the suite would be charged to my account.

Have to go now as I’ve just been given a pina colada and it would be rude not to drink it.

Thanks for your review.   Have you definitely been able to get the bottles of champagne - it was me who queried this on another recent post. Very often the glasses would be poorly filled, a bit warm and not very sparkly by the time they arrived 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LEESRE said:

Thanks for your update, would be interesting to hear more as we join Encore in September.

Is John Barron on for a while?

I could be wrong but I believe john will be on the pursuit in September.

Nancy

Leesre,  John is only on for this cruise, but he did sing a George Michael song at the Club members’ cocktail party. Gale force 9, I’ve ordered caviar and champagne twice to the room, and an unopened bottle has arrived each time.

• Like 2

Thanks for the updates on the Encore 

I also will soon be boarding for my first post pandemic cruise and am sooooo excited.

May I ask who the Hotel Manager is please?

Is by chance Colleen the Guest Service manager 🤞🤞🤞

Marjorie

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Les Picantins said:

Thanks for the updates on the Encore 

I also will soon be boarding for my first post pandemic cruise and am sooooo excited.

May I ask who the Hotel Manager is please?

Is by chance Colleen the Guest Service manager 🤞🤞🤞

Marjorie

Hopefully you enjoy your return voyage Marjorie.  We will miss you as we will be on the Ovation in just over 2 weeks.  

Cheers my friend!

6 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Hopefully you enjoy your return voyage Marjorie.  We will miss you as we will be on the Ovation in just over 2 weeks.  

Cheers my friend!

Hi Ed

Thanks

It’ll be good to finally be back on board

I hope you and Lauri have a great time on the Ovation 

🍾🛳️

6 minutes ago, Les Picantins said:

Thank you 

Enjoy the rest of your holiday 

I have heard great things of Peppi so hope you have a great trip. You and your chocolates will be a great hit 🙂.

I have sent an email.

Edited by frantic36

3 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I have heard great things of Peppi so hope you have a great trip. You and your chocolates will be a great hit 🙂.

I have sent an email.

Pepsi was lovely, the only senior crew member we ever saw around the ship.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tallante said:

Pepsi was lovely, the only senior crew member we ever saw around the ship.

I needed to do a like and a giggle emoji. I have heard Peppi is quite effervescent so pepsi works 😁

I hope you and DH had a good trip home. Will talk soon but we are away for a week this Monday and internet will be spotty but will chat soon.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I needed to do a like and a giggle emoji. I have heard Peppi is quite effervescent so pepsi works 😁

I hope you and DH had a good trip home. Will talk soon but we are away for a week this Monday and internet will be spotty but will chat soon.

Look forward to it.  Xx

• Like 1