Can you still start a cruise later if you miss embarkation?

My brother's wife just had to go into hospital and they leave on the Anthem of the Seas tomorrow, so she won't be able to make it.

They do have insurance if they cannot go.

If she is OK in the next couple of days, are they able to fly to Lisbon and pick up the cruise there. I did this a few years ago when someone in the party forgot a passport but I don't know if the rules have changed.

I have told hm to try and cancel all his drinks packages and excursions, but I don't know how late you can still do this?

Edited by alistairg

Best to have them call Royal. If they are already checked in on the app, there might be a possibility. 

I know the 48 hours prior to cruise cancelation ended last September.  And I have heard of people missing a ship at a port stop and flying at own expense to meet the ship at the next port stop.  

16 minutes ago, alistairg said:

I have told hm to try and cancel all his drinks packages and excursions, but I don't know how late you can still do this?

Those will be canceled and refunded when he's a no show. Very unlikely RCI will let you embark downline - they discontinued that.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Those will be canceled and refunded when he's a no show. Very unlikely RCI will let you embark downline - they discontinued that.

I was thinking Lisbon, those europe cruises sometimes have more than one embarkation point? Idk about this one but I've heard of this only in europe. No harm in calling. Agree chances are slim.

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I was thinking Lisbon, those europe cruises sometimes have more than one embarkation point? Idk about this one but I've heard of this only in europe.

RCI only interports between Rome and Barcelona (which don't stop in Lisbon) and besides, it would still be a downline embarkation request.

• Like 1

Thanks people, my parents are gong on the cruise so they will ask about the possibility of starting later when they get on.

He tried to cancel the extras, but cannot do anything as they are within 24 hours of embarkation. Good to know these should be refunded as they have a lot of stuff booked.