Earliest debarkation in Barcelona

Just returned from Riviera cruise and even though original itinerary stated we would disembark at 8:00, people were actually able to leave about 7:00 a.m.

We have booked another Oceania cruise in the future that states the same disembarking at 8:00.

We’d like to get a 9:20 flight using a quick pass through security at the Barcelona airport. I read it takes 20 to 30 minutes to get to the airport from cruise port and about 15 minutes from security to the gates.

Has anyone ever disembarked in Barcelona very early and made an early flight. We would also purchase air tickets that allow us to rebook if we have to. Thank you.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Guest said:

Just returned from Riviera cruise and even though original itinerary stated we would disembark at 8:00, people were actually able to leave about 7:00 a.m.

We have booked another Oceania cruise in the future that states the same disembarking at 8:00.

We’d like to get a 9:20 flight using a quick pass through security at the Barcelona airport. I read it takes 20 to 30 minutes to get to the airport from cruise port and about 15 minutes from security to the gates.

Has anyone ever disembarked in Barcelona very early and made an early flight. We would also purchase air tickets that allow us to rebook if we have to. Thank you.

Last week we disembarked from the Nautica in Barcelona.  The ship docked at 6:00am and was cleared for disembarkation at 6:50am.  We were the first group off the ship and got our luggage at 7:10am.  We had an Oceania transfer and the bus waited for all 26 passengers until 7:30am but we could have taken a taxi and been at the airport at 7:40am.  Getting through fast pass was a breeze and definitely worth it.  BUT….. the fly in the ointment was the airline check in process.  It was chaotic with very long lines.  We flew United but all airlines looked just as bad.   We could use the business class line and that helped but still took a while.  It looked like the economy/economy plus check in could take an hour.  So that makes your plan quite dicey.

Another way to look at it is:  why would you want to submit yourself to the stress and worry during your cruise that you will make your flight?  I know that would make me enjoy the cruise less.  Everything worked like clockwork for us.  What if the ship docks late (as happens)?  Or it takes longer than usual to get clearance (as happens)?  Or the line for a taxi is 20 minutes long (as happens)?  If you miss your flight what if you can’t rebook because all flights are flying full and there are no seats available for the foreseeable future (as happens)?  And what if missing your flight means your tickets are cancelled, you can’t rebook for free, and you have to pay for your new tickets (as happens)?

If the 9:20am flight is the best for you my suggestion would be to schedule it for the next day and stay a night in Barcelona.  That would give you a day to see a fabulous city.  If you haven’t seen La Sagrada Familia get advanced tickets and view the most amazing architecture you may ever see.  If you need to fly out on disembarkation day I would get a flight that leaves at noon or later.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Guest said:

Thank you both. I feel it would be too much to stress about also.

Sounds like you got the answers you needed and I was just going to add that Oceania changed out Barcelona departure to Tarragona.  So not sure of the ship you are on but that close of time would make me very nervous.  

Hope you have an amazing trip! 

We have been through BCN a number of times, sometimes even after a cruise. 

Are you flying a US carrier? If you are the gates are a hike from check in....think a good 15+ minutes after another security check for international flights. It is no exaggeration that the recommendation of 2 1/2 to 3 hours is not just folly. 

In April '23 using a priority check in and handicapped security it took us every bit of 2 1/2 hours. In the initial security screening you have to empty your carry on of liquids and electronic devices. 

It's impossible to know when you can actually disemark too.

Object lesson from Miami yesterday [Sun, 25 Jun '23]...

Investigation of a fatal pleasure boat/ferry collision at 4am closed ship channels and delayed cruise ship dockings until 3pm.  Probably 10,000+ debarking folks missed their flights.

Planning on super quick connections is just asking for Mr Murphy to show up with his Law.   (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_law)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Object lesson from Miami yesterday [Sun, 25 Jun '23]...

Investigation of a fatal pleasure boat/ferry collision at 4am closed ship channels and delayed cruise ship dockings until 3pm.  Probably 10,000+ debarking folks missed their flights.

Planning on super quick connections is just asking for Mr Murphy to show up with his Law.   (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_law)

Murphy was an optimist.