Dolphin Discovery in Puerto Aventuras vs Cozumel

novarph

Has anyone gone to the Dolphin Discovery location in Puerto Aventuras? They have a Royal Swim Plus program that includes in water interactions with dolphins, manatees and sea lions but it says its an hour from Cozumel and a bit of a hassle to get to. We're in port from 9am-7pm so I think we'd have time, just not sure if it's worth the hassle.

Why not just do the Royal Swim at the location on Cozumel and save the hassle?

unless the cruiseline offers the mainland location (which I doubt) transport via land and ferry would be up to you, which wouldn’t be worth it to me.

I would either do Aventuras during a mainland vacation or choose the Cozumel location.

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Why not just do the Royal Swim at the location on Cozumel and save the hassle?

unless the cruiseline offers the mainland location (which I doubt) transport via land and ferry would be up to you, which wouldn’t be worth it to me.

I would either do Aventuras during a mainland vacation or choose the Cozumel location.

The Dolphin Discovery on Cozumel doesn't have a combo swim package, its only dolphin, or manatee, or sea lion. That's how they're on my radar.

18 minutes ago, novarph said:

The Dolphin Discovery on Cozumel doesn't have a combo swim package, its only dolphin, or manatee, or sea lion. That's how they're on my radar.

Maybe not through the cruise line but I see Royal Swim VIP listed on their website. Not sure if this is different to what you are considering, but is the difference significant enough to warrant independent travel?

We certainly had a family member that did dolphin and manatee combo once at Chankanaab but i know they offer a lot of different combinations and levels, based on age, so I don’t know what exact programs they offer and whether all locations offer the same thing.

Ship tours to the mainland often have to wait for the dedicated ferry, which will actually go to whichever pier you are at. Independently you will not have that luxury. 

Edited by c-leg5

Just now, c-leg5 said:

Maybe not through the cruise line but I see Royal Swim VIP listed on their website. Not sure if this is different to what you are considering, but is the difference significant enough to warrant independent travel?

We certainly had a family member that did dolphin and manatee combo once at Chankanaab but i know they offer a lot of different combinations and levels, based on age, so I don’t know what exact programs they offer and whether all locations offer the same thing.

Ship tours to the mainland often have to wait for the dedicated ferry, which will actually go to whichever pier you are at. Independently you will not have that luxury. 

This was going to be booked on my own, not through Princess. I do agree that that hauling over to the mainland would be a pain, I'm going to call and see if I can make my own package or add on other interactions. The royal swim VIP you mentioned looks to be a dolphin swim but more behaviors than with some of the other packages. I see they have packages for each of the 3 animals, but they all overlap in what they cover so I don't want to book more than one. 

5 minutes ago, novarph said:

This was going to be booked on my own, not through Princess. I do agree that that hauling over to the mainland would be a pain, I'm going to call and see if I can make my own package or add on other interactions. The royal swim VIP you mentioned looks to be a dolphin swim but more behaviors than with some of the other packages. I see they have packages for each of the 3 animals, but they all overlap in what they cover so I don't want to book more than one. 

I think perhaps Cozumel has changed its program and priced them separately although my family member definitely did a combo a few years back.However even booking separately I doubt the extra would be more than the price of transport and time spent getting to the mainland.

I agree contact them and see what you can work out sometimes they have special promotions or combo deals.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Thanks 1

I ended up calling dolphin discovery and they were able to book me the royal swim vip in Cozumel with free 15 minute Manatee encounter, includes buffet an open bar, sea lion show, snorkeling, lockers, etc. for $103 per adult!

1 hour ago, novarph said:

I ended up calling dolphin discovery and they were able to book me the royal swim vip in Cozumel with free 15 minute Manatee encounter, includes buffet an open bar, sea lion show, snorkeling, lockers, etc. for $103 per adult!

Sounds good!

Meant to add we took our great niece to the Akumal location since it seems to be less busy than the PA and Maroma locations, and she and another teen had the entire pool to themselves for the Royal Swim! Hopefully you have the same luck at the Coz location… 

• Like 1