Denali Park - Hop On Hop Off Transit Bus

homeofthehound

Hi, the TWT is sold out on our scheduled day in Denali (Aug 10) so we are quite content to do the HoHo Bus by ourselves instead. Should we buy tickets in advance or is there usually plenty available to buy on the day of (so we can judge the weather etc.)? Just wondering if the HoHo busses completely sell out at times? TIA. 🙂

17 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Just to be clear, the transit bus isn't a "HoHo" bus as we generally understand the name.

For similar reasons, I have never really like the term "HoHo." I think the term is used to distinguish between those tour buses on which all passengers remain on the same bus for the duration of their tour, from those tour buses on which passengers may switch from bus-to-bus. Transit buses are usually not used as tour buses (with very limited exceptions), and with the defining characteristic of transit buses being to provide point-to-point transportation, the ability to "hop on" "hop off" in a series of point-to-point rides is inherent to transit buses, and the term "HoHo" is not generally applied. All that said, the transit buses at Denali do differ from ordinary transit buses in that they are used not so much for point-to-point travel as in most cities, but as a full loop, there-and-back, for touring purposes, much like a tour bus. Moreover, the transit bus fare is not a specific amount paid in the farebox for each boarding, or for a ticket from point A to point B, but for a round-trip excursion ride. I think that I also dislike the term "HoHo" because of its association with tour buses, which I generally view as overpriced, I generally prefer the use of transit buses, with which the term is not generally used (and thus my prejudice).

The Denali transit buses constitute a distinct type of transportation.

6 hours ago, GTJ said:

For similar reasons, I have never really like the term "HoHo." I think the term is used to distinguish between those tour buses on which all passengers remain on the same bus for the duration of their tour, from those tour buses on which passengers may switch from bus-to-bus. Transit buses are usually not used as tour buses (with very limited exceptions), and with the defining characteristic of transit buses being to provide point-to-point transportation, the ability to "hop on" "hop off" in a series of point-to-point rides is inherent to transit buses, and the term "HoHo" is not generally applied. All that said, the transit buses at Denali do differ from ordinary transit buses in that they are used not so much for point-to-point travel as in most cities, but as a full loop, there-and-back, for touring purposes, much like a tour bus. Moreover, the transit bus fare is not a specific amount paid in the farebox for each boarding, or for a ticket from point A to point B, but for a round-trip excursion ride. I think that I also dislike the term "HoHo" because of its association with tour buses, which I generally view as overpriced, I generally prefer the use of transit buses, with which the term is not generally used (and thus my prejudice).

The Denali transit buses constitute a distinct type of transportation.

🙄  I never understood the term "pedantic" before now.  How's this:  You pay a fare, go as far as the bus will take you (Eilson VC), and take the bus back.  You can hop off any time you'd like, anywhere you like, and take the next bus, if there is room, back to the HQ or continue going forward.  HO/HO.  Anywhere.  Just don't miss the last bus. 😳🐻

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

You pay a fare, go as far as the bus will take you (Eilson VC), and take the bus back.

Alas, the bus route was cut back and does not presently go as far as Eielson.

Traditionally within the transit bus industry, the "HoHo" bus is operated in December, with the driver wearing a bright red suit.

27498057_web1_211213-RDA-standalone-sant

Get there early--before your scheduled time--and get a seat close to the driver.  Although it is not officially a narrated tour, our driver was quite informative and stopped frequently to point out wildlife and points of interest.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2023 at 4:44 PM, Tippyton said:

🙄  I never understood the term "pedantic" before now.  How's this:  You pay a fare, go as far as the bus will take you (Eilson VC), and take the bus back.  You can hop off any time you'd like, anywhere you like, and take the next bus, if there is room, back to the HQ or continue going forward.  HO/HO.  Anywhere.  Just don't miss the last bus. 😳🐻

I wonder if this poster understands that the single road in to Denali National Park has been closed since August 2021 at mile 42 due to the Pretty Rocks sloughing road issue.  The NPS is now hoping to have the road open to Eielson Visitor's Center and Kantishna in 2025.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

I wonder if this poster understands that the single road in to Denali National Park has been closed since August 2021 at mile 42 due to the Pretty Rocks sloughing road issue.  The NPS is now hoping to have the road open to Eielson Visitor's Center and Kantishna in 2025.  

Didn't know that either.