Vacation Protection Question

trummy

1 hour ago, trummy said:

Me and a good friend have booked a cruise. We bought the vacation protection from carnival. My question is what happens if she has to cancel, but I still want to go?

We always purchase the Carnival Vacation Protection. We had to use it once. When DH needed surgery, we canceled. We filed claim, provided copies of everything the insurance company needed and received a refund minus a few dollars. I don’t remember what the few dollars were. But our refund was almost the full amount of our cruise.

8 minutes ago, fair-winds39 said:

We always purchase the Carnival Vacation Protection. We had to use it once. When DH needed surgery, we canceled. We filed claim, provided copies of everything the insurance company needed and received a refund minus a few dollars. I don’t remember what the few dollars were. But our refund was almost the full amount of our cruise.

P.S. I think, but not absolutely certain, that we canceled after final payment. It might have made a difference in our refund.

2 hours ago, trummy said:

Me and a good friend have booked a cruise. We bought the vacation protection from carnival. My question is what happens if she has to cancel, but I still want to go?

Wouldn't affect you in any way. Would affect your friend big time, but that's not the question.

So, if your friend decides not to go, you would then be on the hook for the single supplement.  

• If she decides not to go after final payment, have her eat her cruise fare and just have her be a no-show to avoid the single supplement.
  • If she needs to cancel for a covered reason, then the vacation protection will cover your single supplement.
  • If she decides not to go prior to final payment, you can do a name change and take someone else.

Basically, vacation protection only helps you in the case that she cancels for a covered reason.  For her, if she cancels for any reason she can get 75% of her cruise fare back as FCC.

20 hours ago, fair-winds39 said:

we also purchased the Vacation Protection Plan, when will we receive documents? we already made final payment...

we thank you in advance..

We don’t receive documents for the insurance. The policy explanation I think can be found on Carnival’s website. When I had to file the claim, I spoke with the Carnival PVP who booked our cruise. She led me through the steps of how to start our claim. In fact, I think Carnival reimbursed us for something right away, at the time we told her we had to cancel and then we had to file the claim to be reimbursed for the remainder. She gave me the contact telephone number, I contacted the insurance company and they took it from there.

While we were very pleased to have the Vacation Protection, as it worked for our situation, we were not yet on the cruise. Medical emergencies can happen during a cruise where the Vacation Protection may not come close to covering the costs incurred say, transporting a passenger from the ship to a hospital in a foreign country when further medical treatment is necessary. If we were going on a longer cruise, out of the country we would most likely check other travel insurance policies that are more comprehensive, and provide more coverage.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1