Multiple Excursions in one day?

ginadis2002

Hi! My travel agent has indicated that as long as excursions do not overlap, more than one excursion can be reserved at a port. I’m wondering about the feasibility of this. Has anyone done this? Is it too much time in a bus and too little time to explore the port area? Exhausting? We are youngish and capable (I think, lol). Your thoughts?

Of course you can take more than one or you can hire a guide for the entire day.  It’s all just a matter of coordinating the times.  If you are booking included tours you’ll probably have to pay for one of them if booked on the same day.  On my last cruise we took two included tours but it was an overnight port so one each day and we were not charged for the second tour even though my understanding of the rules was that I should have been charged.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ginadis2002 said:

Hi! My travel agent has indicated that as long as excursions do not overlap, more than one excursion can be reserved at a port. I’m wondering about the feasibility of this. Has anyone done this? Is it too much time in a bus and too little time to explore the port area? Exhausting? We are youngish and capable (I think, lol). Your thoughts?

Great that you are young and full of energy!!  Yes, we have done, at times, both morning and afternoon excursions.  If the tours are good and of interest, it can work well.  But, if booking with Silversea, they will only do one "free" or included excursion per day.  The second one with SS will be at extra charge.  

Research and plan accordingly.  Choose wisely!  Silversea is generally good in detailing the amount of bus travel involved, how much intensity with walking, steps, etc.  Much also depends on your personal interests and travel style.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 247,607 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

1 hour ago, ginadis2002 said:

I guess it depends on the destination? where are you going, and what tours did you have in mind?

We are beginning in Venice and ending in Rome with ports in Croatia, Tunis, Sicily, and Sorrento. I am toying with the idea of doing a food/wine tour and a history tour one day during the cruise. I am not sure I would do this more than one or two days throughout the cruise. One of the ports in which I would book two is Tunis. Another might be in Croatia. I’m really just kicking around the idea at this point looking for opinions.

14 minutes ago, ginadis2002 said:

We are beginning in Venice and ending in Rome with ports in Croatia, Tunis, Sicily, and Sorrento. I am toying with the idea of doing a food/wine tour and a history tour one day during the cruise. I am not sure I would do this more than one or two days throughout the cruise. One of the ports in which I would book two is Tunis. Another might be in Croatia. I’m really just kicking around the idea at this point looking for opinions.

Ohhh I have done a similar itinerary, but with Celebrity. We did Barcelona to Venice, with stops in Monaco, Nice, Sicily, Rome, Corfu, Croatia and a few other places.  My fave port was Sicily, out of your ports (which I didn't expect). Our port in Croatia was Zadar where we did the Krka waterfalls.  In Sicily we got to go to Taormina.

Excursion booking advice. When you go to the day's activities on MySilversea, book the more expensive excursion first. This becomes your no-charge, included excursion. Then book the second, cheaper one. You pay for that excursion.

We have done two excursions a couple of times, but only if they are short, and we have time for lunch and a rest on the ship in between.

• Like 1

I think a lot depends on what you want from your cruise.  Do you want to be very active, constantly moving, exploring, seeing new sights and experiencing new places?   Do you want a more leisurely pace?  An excursion but then maybe time to relax, use the spa, sit on the deck with a book, have a long three-martini lunch followed by a nap (Yes Please!!).

• Like 4

If more than one excursion is appealing (which is often the case), I look at that as a reason to visit that port another time 😁.     Which can be helpful in rationalizing (er, evaluating) a new itinerary that includes a port or two you've already visited. 

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

35 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I think a lot depends on what you want from your cruise.  Do you want to be very active, constantly moving, exploring, seeing new sights and experiencing new places?   Do you want a more leisurely pace?  An excursion but then maybe time to relax, use the spa, sit on the deck with a book, have a long three-martini lunch followed by a nap (Yes Please!!).

I think it depends on where you come from too.  If you fly from Australia to Europe (around 20 hours) then you want to see/do as much as possible because it's such a long way to go, and you can 'relax' at home.

On our first cruise back from Covid on the Dawn we scheduled 2 excursions on a few days. The first day went OK but on the second day we did 2 tours the morning tour got back late so instead of 90 minutes between tours it was 15 minutes.

So we cancelled a tour on every other day that we had 2 booked. We are older though.

Edited by drron29

I have two excursions booked for an Iceland circumnavigation cruise.  In the morning I am doing a more active hiking trip.  After lunch I am doing one of thermal pools. The timing of the excursions works and I don't think I run the risk of wearing myself out when I will be sitting on my butt in hot water for the second excursion. 😀

I'm the kind of person who likes to milk every day of a vacation as much as possible though.  I never know when I will return to a country again, so see as much as possible while I'm there.  I can sleep when I'm dead. 

23 hours ago, ArtofZen said:

I have two excursions booked for an Iceland circumnavigation cruise.  In the morning I am doing a more active hiking trip.  After lunch I am doing one of thermal pools. The timing of the excursions works and I don't think I run the risk of wearing myself out when I will be sitting on my butt in hot water for the second excursion. 😀

I'm the kind of person who likes to milk every day of a vacation as much as possible though.  I never know when I will return to a country again, so see as much as possible while I'm there.  I can sleep when I'm dead. 

that's exactly how we feel!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AusMum said:

that's exactly how we feel!

Agree with AusMum and ArtofZen.   Correct summary about: "see as much as possible while I'm there."   We can sleep more later!! 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 2