Snorkling

We used to snorkel a lot when we were much younger in the Caribbean ( Aruba, Cozumel etc) and loved it...hence my name. We were not on cruises then but had flown down to the islands. We would bring our own mask and mouth piece with us. I would imagine that is what people still do. Thinking about a cruise that offers snorkeling and wondering if there is any age criteria. I think it would be rather like riding a bike, once you learn, you don't forget.

Like you I used to snorkel a lot in my younger days. I'm 71 now, and I had a blast snorkeling on our Splendor Caribbean cruise this year. Now, I've always been the kind of snorkler that likes to just float quietly and let the fish do the work. If you are someone who likes to get a little more aggressive it might be different.

I don’t remember any age limit on trips this Dec in Caribbean. You only had to be able to handle being in deeper water and  the boat ladders used to get in and out of the water.

Some trips are better than others as far as what there is to see. 
We were divers in another life and still snorkel if the water entrance is doable.

I have my padi card, but gave up scuba a few years ago, to much work, sometimes.    As for the snorkel and age,  if you can still swim and don’t panic - go for it.   My husband had a panic attack in six feet of water, while snorkeling with me.  He needed to swim 5 feet in any direction and would be able to stand, however he wanted me to save him.   I wasn’t planning on drowning that day and screamed at him to jump in any direction and stand up.  He finally did,  I than marched him out of the water and he sat down on the beach.   Needless to say, he doesn’t snorkel any more.  

I’m 64 and have done lots of snorkeling without a vest, noodle, etc with just my dive flippers.  As I get older,  the flotation will be added.  Go have fun.  

I seem to remember some age restrictions on excursions. I'm 75 now, so wondering. The main impediments for me to snorkel are ease of getting in and out of the boat, and difficulty level of the snorkel itself. I like calm waters and the ability to stop from time to time, preferably to swim easily to where I can stand on bottom or hang onto a boat. So I didn't snorkel on my last cruise.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

55 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I seem to remember some age restrictions on excursions. I'm 75 now, so wondering. The main impediments for me to snorkel are ease of getting in and out of the boat, and difficulty level of the snorkel itself. I like calm waters and the ability to stop from time to time, preferably to swim easily to where I can stand on bottom or hang onto a boat. So I didn't snorkel on my last cruise.

I am with you Wendy and am a little older. The boat is the biggest problem, especially a boat with the back platform. They are slippery and don’t usually have enough steps and grab bars down into the water. If we can’t touch the bottom I can’t boost myself to the bottom rung on the ladder.

We do use snorkel vest so we can just relax. My favorite snorkeling has been off cats that have the steps in front that lower and go down into the water a ways..easy and safe to enter and exit.

• Like 1