Reykjavik Arrival

ericosmith

Our ship is scheduled to arrive at 8:00 and I scheduled a tour that has a pickup from 8:00 to 8:30.  When I booked they said it would be no problem.  The new owner says they can't guarantee if we aren't at the pickup point by 8:30.  Two questions for those cruising previously...what has been the normal time that you've been able to disembark upon arrival?  How far is it from the ship to the pickup point for prior tours? 

I can always switch to a big bus tour with a later pickup but I preferred my booked small group tour.

You can't guarantee that you will be at the pick up point before 8:30.  If the ship docks at 8am., they can take up to half an hour before they are ready to disembark pax.  

Take a look at the start times for the Viking shorex.  You will find them on MVJ.  What is the earliest time listed? That is the best you can hope for and even that is not a guarantee.  

Distance to the pick up point depends on which berth the ship is given.  When we sailed in 2021, it was a 2 minute walk from the foot of the gangplank to the pick up point and that was because our berth was the one just opposite the pick up point.  If you are further down the quai, then a longer walk.  

@ericosmith, this is what the pier at Skarfabakki looks like. Hope this is helpful for you.

Private tours pick-up where the yellow buses are, outside the secure area. Stand by the black building, on the other side of the jersey barriers, to wait for pick-up.

You can see how close you are if the ship is berthed in this position. Any other berth is further from this point.

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBES

Here's the Google-eye view.  Ship was docked where it says ViK. Pick-up point is the blue dot.  If you are trying to get an idea of distance from the other berthing positions, the vehicles by the blue dot are buses.

image.png.4430de37b2903d8007722ec1b732e9ad.png

• Thanks 1

Totally agree!  Hopefully you get this nice port location.

Here is a shot I took on our disembarkation on June 21 in Reykjavik from the Saturn.

The ship arrived at the dock about 5 AM.  First bus passengers to the airport left at 6 AM.  We got off at 8 AM, went through immigration like a breeze, and were to meet our small independent tour van at 8:30 AM about where this picture was taken.  They waited until 9:00 for 2 people who didn't know where to go, but we got off OK (Golden Circle tour on Saga Tours).

Hopefully this helps!

IMG_6060VikingSaturn-Reykjavikdisembarkation.thumb.JPG.26386e925732af0ffc3c44adf7dc4889.JPG

• Like 1

Just one caveat to CCWineLover's post.

Viking has multiple itineraries starting, ending or passing thru Reyjkavik this summer. They all have different arrival times in port. The only port arrival time that matters is the one given on your paperwork (and even that is subject to change).

CCWL, it looks like they have put a tent up on the parking lot side of the shed. Am I right? Did that change where the Viking buses pick up?

59 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Just one caveat to CCWineLover's post.

Viking has multiple itineraries starting, ending or passing thru Reyjkavik this summer. They all have different arrival times in port. The only port arrival time that matters is the one given on your paperwork (and even that is subject to change).

CCWL, it looks like they have put a tent up on the parking lot side of the shed. Am I right? Did that change where the Viking buses pick up?

Of course, Peregrina is absolutely correct.  I was providing these times only to show what WE had, not to imply that is what YOU will have.  YOUR schedule is all that matters, and even if it is published ahead of time, it could change for Reykjavik arrival up to the last minute, depending on seas, weather, and other unpredictable things.

Yes, we had a large tent set up between the ship and the main permanent Immigration Building.  The baggage items were in the large tent, which you can see in the pictures.  You picked them up and walked into the permanent building.  When you left that building you were in the huge parking lot - where all the buses were located (Viking buses to the airport as well as independent tour buses).  It was not a long walk at all - you can see in my earlier photo.  Maybe 100-150 yards?

IMG_6042ReykjavikDisembarkationTent.thumb.jpg.d3b6429c0edb6ea887039f6c2323b34e.jpg

IMG_6045ReykjavikDisembarkationTent.thumb.jpg.7a595cdff7dc04f9f6d3ba5a9588bb52.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Of course, Peregrina is absolutely correct.  I was providing these times only to show what WE had, not to imply that is what YOU will have.  YOUR schedule is all that matters, and even if it is published ahead of time, it could change for Reykjavik arrival up to the last minute, depending on seas, weather, and other unpredictable things.

Yes, we had a large tent set up between the ship and the main permanent Immigration Building.  The baggage items were in the large tent, which you can see in the pictures.  You picked them up and walked into the permanent building.  When you left that building you were in the huge parking lot - where all the buses were located (Viking buses to the airport as well as independent tour buses).  It was not a long walk at all - you can see in my earlier photo.  Maybe 100-150 yards?

IMG_6042ReykjavikDisembarkationTent.thumb.jpg.d3b6429c0edb6ea887039f6c2323b34e.jpg

IMG_6045ReykjavikDisembarkationTent.thumb.jpg.7a595cdff7dc04f9f6d3ba5a9588bb52.jpg

GREAT PHOTOS! Thank you!  Completely different set up from when we there in 2021 (and the ships were sailing one-third to a half full). MUCH BETTER!

The gangway was much too steep, especially at high tide. It looks like the little shed is gone, replaced by the humongous tent. Dare I say that guests will wait there to  check in rather than an off-site venue?

The question we don't have an answer for at this point is "what does the set up look like if the ship is berthed at the far end of the quai?"  Do guests still have to walk back to the main parking lot to get buses?

Thanks for all the great information.  At this point I think I'm going to cancel my original tour and try to find one that leaves a bit later.  I'm rather surprised that no company seems to really cater to cruise ship passengers.  They all have a long list of pickup points so it's impossible to know what time a pickup from the ship would actually happen.  As far as the terminal we are scheduled to dock at 315 which appears to be the further location as the Prima is at 312 which is shown in the pictures.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ericosmith said:

Thanks for all the great information.  At this point I think I'm going to cancel my original tour and try to find one that leaves a bit later.  I'm rather surprised that no company seems to really cater to cruise ship passengers.  They all have a long list of pickup points so it's impossible to know what time a pickup from the ship would actually happen.  As far as the terminal we are scheduled to dock at 315 which appears to be the further location as the Prima is at 312 which is shown in the pictures.   

Saga Tours was great!!!!  They definitely helped us out, being cruise passengers.

Public transit, shuttles, tours, limos and taxis all pick up in the same place.  Iceland is not particularly taxi rich (especially if it is raining) and it is suggested that if you have to be someplace on a schedule that you order in advance. 

11 hours ago, canadian9981 said:

Where is the taxi line in the picture?  Were taxis readily available?  Was there a long line for taxi?

Thanks

The taxis were on the right hand side of the large parking lot as you come out of the Permanent Immigration Building. Plainly marked.  Closer than the airport or independent tour buses.  At least for us.  When we came out around 8:15 or so there were several of them there (maybe 5?) but there weren't many compared to other non-Iceland ports.  I'd heard from friends who'd been to Reykjavik that Uber was easy to get, so that might be another option.

24 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

The taxis were on the right hand side of the large parking lot as you come out of the Permanent Immigration Building. Plainly marked.  Closer than the airport or independent tour buses.  At least for us.  When we came out around 8:15 or so there were several of them there (maybe 5?) but there weren't many compared to other non-Iceland ports.  I'd heard from friends who'd been to Reykjavik that Uber was easy to get, so that might be another option.

Thanks very much for your info