Carnival Share Question for Canadian cruisers

Islander58

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but it never mattered to us before. Are there tax implications to Canadians buying Carnival shares?  We are 4 star and are driving less and plan on cruising more! The OBC offer sounds great but we are wondering how it is for Canadians? 
thanks, Mary Lynne 

12 minutes ago, Islander58 said:

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but it never mattered to us before. Are there tax implications to Canadians buying Carnival shares?  We are 4 star and are driving less and plan on cruising more! The OBC offer sounds great but we are wondering how it is for Canadians? 
thanks, Mary Lynne 

Yes there are tax implications unless you can get it in an RSP, RIF or TFSA.

Last time I looked it was 15/25% on the dividends I think but right now dividends have been suspended.  

There are always tax implications on foreign investments outside of our tax protected vehicles.  My holdings are tax protected in one of the vehicles I mentioned above.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Yes there are tax implications unless you can get it in an RSP, RIF or TFSA.

Last time I looked it was 15/25% on the dividends I think but right now dividends have been suspended.  

There are always tax implications on foreign investments outside of our tax protected vehicles.  My holdings are tax protected in one of the vehicles I mentioned above.

Ours are held in a non-registered account, but as you say no tax implications to date with no dividends. If and when they reinstate dividends, it will still be peanuts from a tax perspective for 100 shares. 

• Like 2