Earliest Flight from Southampton to Belfast

Trixie21

We are working on booking a cruise on Sky Princess for May 24.

Trying to put together flights to and from Belfast.

Outbound is no problem.

Flying back the only flight that day with Aer Lingus from Southampton to Belfast is 9.15am. The ship docks at 7am on a Saturday axcording to the port schedule - 

I have never had so early a flight from Southampton after a cruise - I'm thinking its doable if we walk off with our own luggage ,  but no room for any delays - don't really want to hang about another day in Southampton.  I know we could go to Heathrow and fly back that way but would rather not have to do that if possible. I think port to airport was about 20 minutes if I am remembering correctly ?

Has anyone successfully made a flight from Southampton Airport that early ?

1 hour ago, Trixie21 said:

Outbound is no problem.

Flying back the only flight that day with Aer Lingus from Southampton to Belfast is 9.15am. The ship docks at 7am on a Saturday axcording to the port schedule - 

I have never had so early a flight from Southampton after a cruise - I'm thinking its doable if we walk off with our own luggage ,  but no room for any delays - don't really want to hang about another day in Southampton.  I know we could go to Heathrow and fly back that way but would rather not have to do that if possible. I think port to airport was about 20 minutes if I am remembering correctly ?

I don't think you'll make it.

The ship docks at 7 am but then you have to wait for customs clearance, which could be an hour.

Even a taxi may not get you to the airport for boarding time.

Air Lingus has a later flight or you can go via Gatwick at 14:20 of Heathrow at 13:15

Screenshot 2023-07-02 181905.jpg

19 minutes ago, RedgeToo said:

I don't think you'll make it.

The ship docks at 7 am but then you have to wait for customs clearance, which could be an hour.

Even a taxi may not get you to the airport for boarding time.

Air Lingus has a later flight or you can go via Gatwick at 14:20 of Heathrow at 13:15

Screenshot 2023-07-02 181905.jpg

Yes , I've looked at the flight times and the cruise gets back on a Saturday which is the only day of the week there is not an evening flight.

The more I look at it the more I'm of the opinion that its either a hotel in Southampton for the night or go to Heathrow. 

10 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

Yes , I've looked at the flight times and the cruise gets back on a Saturday which is the only day of the week there is not an evening flight.

The more I look at it the more I'm of the opinion that its either a hotel in Southampton for the night or go to Heathrow. 

I would definitely consider an overnight or late afternoon flight from either Heathrow or Gatwick

In October, I'm doing the same thing but Manchester/Heathrow with the Heathrow/Southampton leg on National Express. Believe it or not, including an overnight stop at Heathrow this was cheaper (and more reliable) than the train

Ships arrive in Southampton around 5am to 6am, unassisted disembarkation is normally under way by 7am.

Unless HM Customs feel your collar there's no delay in disembarking, and no line for taxis altho you might prefer to pre-book one.

No commuters on a Saturday., so to the airport in 20 minutes comfortably.

So you should be at the airport by 8am.

It sounds like you know that Southampton is a little one-terminal airport, departure lounge right by the main hall, no long lines, no long walks or airport buses.

Without any significant delay I think you'll be fine with a 9.15am flight to Belfast.

But it's your time & money, not mine. 😏

JB 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We recently disembarked a cruise at Southampton (8th July) and it was surprisingly fast. I would agree that if you are up quick, and do your own disembarkation you have a chance. However, there's no guarantee you will dock in time as planned etc so might be better to look at alternatives. 

Sadly the new Easyjet route to Southampton from Aldergrove is bizarrely not scheduling any flights for Saturdays at all and the current schedule is only bookable up to end of March 2024. 

On 7/2/2023 at 4:24 PM, Trixie21 said:

Outbound is no problem.

We just got off Sky Princess and the ship was docked and available for disembarkation by about 6:45. If you can get a taxi fairly promptly I dont think you will have any problem making the flight.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 4:11 PM, John Bull said:

Ships arrive in Southampton around 5am to 6am, unassisted disembarkation is normally under way by 7am.

Unless HM Customs feel your collar there's no delay in disembarking, and no line for taxis altho you might prefer to pre-book one.

No commuters on a Saturday., so to the airport in 20 minutes comfortably.

So you should be at the airport by 8am.

It sounds like you know that Southampton is a little one-terminal airport, departure lounge right by the main hall, no long lines, no long walks or airport buses.

Without any significant delay I think you'll be fine with a 9.15am flight to Belfast.

But it's your time & money, not mine. 😏

JB 🙂

We are banking on that and going to give it a shot.