How sympathetic are Viking?

uktog

This is a hypothetical question and one I hope never to have to test.

I am renewing our annual multi trip travel policy.  The insurers will not cover cancellation if something happens to our grand daughter who has a life limiting condition. There is no way round it - I have hunted around, no one will.  I am aware that other lines and airlines would give me a future voucher if heaven forbid her time came and we were then in a cancellation situation.  I am however aware Viking generally has much tougher policies.  The cruise we are looking at is £20k+ so a lot to lose.  Anyone any experience as to whether Viking would give a voucher in that situation (yes we know the other issues about vouchers etc)

Sadly, I think not. If your travel agent has a close relationship with a sales person at Viking, that might work better.

Perhaps for the pricey trip you’re planning, you should consider a Cancel for Any Reason policy. Not sure you can get that in Scotland. Plus, that’s pricey, also.

So very sorry about your granddaughter. I hope she can have the best possible life, for as long as is sensible.

Also sorry I am not the target of your post, as I have no experience with this type of situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your kind wishes. Unfortunately we cannot buy cancel for any reason insurance here. Very few TAs have strong relationships in the UK and indeed our current agent a large operation does not deal with Viking at all so it would be a direct booking 

Again. so sorry regarding your Granddaughter's siuation.

Another possibility , which depends on timing and therefore may not work for you, but you may be able to change to another cruise , potentially well into the future. If Viking have not ticketed the flights at this stage they should charge a £100 pp change fee (but they have the descretion to waive this) and if the timing was that the flights were ticketed then I would check with Viking UK but again I think there is some flexibility to change to another cruise but with additional costs that Viking UK would incur being passed onto you. Both these options would at least protect from a 20K+ loss. I would ring Viking UK to check the information I am quoting, but I can certainly say that I just last week spoke about changing a river cruise later this year to another cruise in 2025 and this was an option that Viking would have allowed, I didn't do it in the end but it was an option offered.

Jim (UK)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, uktog said:

I am renewing our annual multi trip travel policy.  The insurers will not cover cancellation if something happens to our grand daughter who has a life limiting condition. There is no way round it - I have hunted around, no one will.  I am aware that other lines and airlines would give me a future voucher if heaven forbid her time came and we were then in a cancellation situation.  I am however aware Viking generally has much tougher policies.  The cruise we are looking at is £20k+ so a lot to lose.  Anyone any experience as to whether Viking would give a voucher in that situation (yes we know the other issues about vouchers etc)

I'm very sorry to read about your granddaughter uktog.

If I was in your situation I think I would speak to Viking directly about it. We hear so many varying stories about how they have treated folk but I've seen and heard stories of great support and kindness. One lovely couple on the Chairman's Cruise with us last year contracted C early on and was allowed to stay on the ship for a portion of the following cruise.

Explain the situation, perhaps enquire whether you would be able to transfer the booking to a later date should the worst case scenario occur.

I wish you well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, uktog said:

I'm so very sorry to hear about your granddaughter.  May she receive the best care possible.

Here's a thought.  You don't mention your itinerary or when your cruise begins, but . . .

It may be different in the UK versus the USA, but I know that we have successfully transferred a given booking (keeping the same booking number) to a new itinerary and date way into the future (like 2 years) when we didn't want to chance not going.   This in the USA at least, can be done if you are greater than 120 days out and have not made full payment yet.   Since we don't do Viking Air or Viking Insurance, I can't say how that works.  I would imagine if the flights had not yet been ticketed you might be OK.  (And you can't get ticketed until you make full payment).

Let us know how it works out.  Perhaps best to contact Viking UK and see what their special rules are for UK.

• Thanks 1

Doesn't sound like you've booked the cruise yet?  I realize it could be redundant for you and relatively expensive for this trip, but given your cruise cost vs gravity of your granddaughter's condition, why not buy a stand alone full trip insurance policy from Viking or 3rd party, just for this particular cruise?

1 hour ago, auntieS said:

Doesn't sound like you've booked the cruise yet?  I realize it could be redundant for you and relatively expensive for this trip, but given your cruise cost vs gravity of your granddaughter's condition, why not buy a stand alone full trip insurance policy from Viking or 3rd party, just for this particular cruise?

We looked into that but we have to declare her condition and insurers say no.  Thing is we could be in this situation for years.  I think we have decided to go ahead and book and recognise the possible risk.  

Thank you to everyone for their advice and kind words.  They were very helpful

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, uktog said:

We looked into that but we have to declare her condition and insurers say no.  Thing is we could be in this situation for years.  I think we have decided to go ahead and book and recognise the possible risk.  

Thank you to everyone for their advice and kind words.  They were very helpful

If any cruise line promises to make some accommodation under your family’s challenging circumstances that differs from their standard cancellation/refund/voucher policy, I would suggest that you get that promise in writing (in triplicate, notarized, witnessed by 3 independent parties, etc) from the cruise line before giving them your funds.  The last thing you want to is to be arguing with the cruise line about them not honoring their promise should you need to cancel because of reasons involving your grand daughter.  I wish you and your family the best.

When we were in Ireland several years ago, my father in law passed away and we cut our trip short and came home. Since that time we have thought about it and we ensure that we have spent time before we leave with the person. If they were to pass away we do not want to know until we return as there is really nothing we can do for them. The important thing to us is how we treated them when they were alive and ensuring we have time with them before we leave. 

In my limited interactions with Viking, I do not think they will do any thing to accommodate you. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flare3192 said:

When we were in Ireland several years ago, my father in law passed away and we cut our trip short and came home. Since that time we have thought about it and we ensure that we have spent time before we leave with the person. If they were to pass away we do not want to know until we return as there is really nothing we can do for them. The important thing to us is how we treated them when they were alive and ensuring we have time with them before we leave. 

In my limited interactions with Viking, I do not think they will do any thing to accommodate you. 

This situation is not a one size fits all. We too have planned not to leave a trip if an elderly parent passed away while we were overseas. We had always spent time with them, plans were all made, and there were other siblings capable of carrying out last wishes. In such circumstances, I agree completely with you. 

On the other hand, the original poster was speaking of a grandchild. If the child should sadly pass during a trip,  personally I find it impossible to imagine not returning immediately to support our adult child and spouse through such a loss. I know there isn't anything one can do for the deceased, but sometimes the survivors need you just as much. I am just speaking hypothetically, and certainly hope to never have to put this to the test. 

uktog,

Wishing you and your family peace and comfort during whatever is to come.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

This situation is not a one size fits all. We too have planned not to leave a trip if an elderly parent passed away while we were overseas. We had always spent time with them, plans were all made, and there were other siblings capable of carrying out last wishes. In such circumstances, I agree completely with you. 

On the other hand, the original poster was speaking of a grandchild. If the child should sadly pass during a trip,  personally I find it impossible to imagine not returning immediately to support our adult child and spouse through such a loss. I know there isn't anything one can do for the deceased, but sometimes the survivors need you just as much. I am just speaking hypothetically, and certainly hope to never have to put this to the test. 

uktog,

Wishing you and your family peace and comfort during whatever is to come.

Beautifully stated, LC.

Once we were on a Celebrity cruise with entertainer Perry Grant in Michael’s Club. He’s goofy and irreverent and keeps the audience laughing and participating. When he was told that two of his regulars departed the ship early, due to the death of a grandchild, he touchingly became very serious. He said he has no children of his own but is blessed with, iirc, a niece and a nephew. If anything happened to them, he can’t imagine how devastated he would be. I was so impressed with what he said, and how he handled it.

• Like 1