Strenuous Shore Excursions

Parkview6180

I am just wondering how strenuous are the strenuous shore excursions. I am specifically asking about Hiking with Huskys in Ushuaia. They say it is on old lumberjack trails. It is a 45 minute hike…. So how strenuous is it exactly. I  am in pretty good shape for a 65 year old.

1 minute ago, Parkview6180 said:

I am just wondering how strenuous are the strenuous shore excursions. I am specifically asking about Hiking with Huskys in Ushuaia. They say it is on old lumberjack trails. It is a 45 minute hike…. So how strenuous is it exactly. I  am in pretty good shape for a 65 year old.

It's because a Lot of "Older" guests Over estimate how "Fit" they really are?

I just tried to book a "Mild" excursion for my DW and Myself and she was accepted (age 65) but I was excluded because I just turned 80?  I'm in pretty good shape for an 80 year old...?

Having talked with vendors we have toured with before turning 70, they indicate it is their insurance that kept us from going with them the last time.  They knew us and had no problems with our fitness.  Remeber there are very few excurstions that are operated by the cruise line.  The subcontract with vendors and they require insurance. 

1 hour ago, Parkview6180 said:

Some 80 year olds are in better shape than 65 year old. Were you excluded just based on your age? That’s absurd 

Yes. But I know the excursion provider may have had a bad (Legal?) experience and just wanted to avoid any complications?

I was not offended but surprised.

2 hours ago, D. B. said:

Yes. But I know the excursion provider may have had a bad (Legal?) experience and just wanted to avoid any complications?

I was not offended but surprised.

One does have to check shore excursions for age limitations. My friend that I travel with is 90yrs young (swims 20 laps 5 days a week) but there have been several excursions that wouldn't allow him to go on and several where I was excluded too since I'm 76yrs young and only do a cardio work out 5 days a week!!

13 hours ago, Parkview6180 said:

Since you are asking about one specific trail you might be better off posting your question  on the South American board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am very confused about this too. It is now very difficult to compare because you can’t even look up specific shore excursions unless you are booked on a cruise. I have an excursion booked for “East Coast Highlights” on Raiatea and I had no idea it would be considered strenuous until my husband commented about it. The only thing is walking around some grounds. The whole excursion is 3.5 hours long with multiple stops, it’s not enough time for any sort of hike. I just don’t get it. Then on the other hand in St. Lucia we went on an excursion, I forget what it was exactly called since I can’t look anything up but the description literally said “take a stroll to view the Pitons” and it ended up being a 300 ft hike up a mountain. Stroll! And that one wasn’t marked strenuous.