Quick Review: Seascape YC (6/18-6/25)

jcathers1

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review."

jcathers1 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

The Seascape's pros and cons have been pretty well documented by now, but I'll add a few highlights from our trip:

• This was our fifth YC experience, and we loved it. My wife and I sailed with our daughters (13 and 16) and they love the freedom that the YC provides. We thought they would venture more into other parts of the ship, and with the exception of a few targeted trips, they were content to enjoy the YC. 
  • The elevator situation can be tragic. The YC override is nice, when it works. But when you use the override, it assigns a car and then has to wait until all the passengers are out at all the preselected floors. We saw folks get extremely antsy and select the same floor, but without the YC override. This action assigns a second, separate car for the same riders, further bogging down the system. It is really poorly designed. 
  • I kept an eye out for any of the infamous "interlopers", but didn't identify any. I did, however, find some paper shoved into the locking mechanism in the YC door on deck 19, preventing it from locking. Yes, I removed it. 🙂
  • The staff did seem more overworked than on previous cruises, but not so much that it detracted from our experience. That said, we did not receive the complimentary bottle of liquor on the last day, nor did we receive a final bill, which I thought was odd. We were on the sailing that was delayed disembarking in PortMiami, so perhaps that chaos led to these issues. Not a big deal either way. 
  • I never felt like the YC was crowded, even on sea days. There were dozens and dozens of loungers available throughout the entirely of the day. We went up early on the two sea days and secured a cabana to give the kids a spot to sit out of the sun. Those went pretty early, but not before ~7:30am. So I sat there in peace, drank my coffee and read the paper until everyone else came up for breakfast. No chairhogging. 🙂
  • We thought the food in the YC was delicious. We also got late night pizza, which we thought was very good.
  • We were on deck 19 and didn't have any issues with early morning noise from the pool deck. 
  • As I mentioned in another thread, the response to the disembarkation delay could have been handled better (specifically by letting us remain in our staterooms throughout the delay), but the way the butlers worked to get us off the ship once we finally docked was masterful. 
  • As others have noted, the clientele on this ship seemed "rougher" than we had experienced before with MSC (or NCL or Disney, for that matter). Read that however you choose. Unfortunately, this extended to the YC. If there was any sort of dress code expectation before, it has long since passed. Some of the sartorial splendor we enjoyed at dinner included camo shorts, swim trunks, doo rags, a tee shirt with a wolf on a cliff howling at the moon, flip flops, and (my personal favorite) a newly purchased Bob Marley hat, replete with fake dreads and marijuana leaves. God bless Jamaica. We did see the restaurant manager ask a person to go change out of their wife beater, which was apparently one bridge too far. Either a dress code is no longer the expectation, or the staff feels disempowered (or is disinclined) to address it. Either way, it is disappointing. <Cue the "let them live their lives" and "how does it affect you?" people.>

This was short and sweet, but this was the stuff that stuck out to me. Happy to answer any questions anyone has.

Thanks,

Jonathan

• Like 8

Were you in a Deluxe Suite or a Deluxe Grand Suite on deck 19?

I'm currently making a list of the Deluxe Grand Suites that have/don't have a walk-in closet. I have photo/video confirmation of a little more than half and I could probably guestimate some of the others. Any bit of info helps. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

It is up to the YC restaurant manager to stop the poor dress.  If that don't enforce it nothing you can do about it.  When we were on the Seashore in June of last year, our butler told us that the YC director has told them to enforce no shorts at dinner.  Please were told to go change and not allowed in for dinner.  One couple we talked to said they ate that the buffet for 2 days until they decide to wear pants. 

• Like 1

My apologies for taking the thread sideways but I am most curious to know which YC Deluxe grand suites do not have a walk in closet.  We are booked to travel on 29th October on Seascape & I assumed they all had a walk in closet after watching a tour of 19014 on Youtube.  I guess that's not the case?  Would Two Wheels Only be willing to share their intel so far?  Thank you for your time.

42 minutes ago, Valpacino said:

My apologies for taking the thread sideways but I am most curious to know which YC Deluxe grand suites do not have a walk in closet.  We are booked to travel on 29th October on Seascape & I assumed they all had a walk in closet after watching a tour of 19014 on Youtube.  I guess that's not the case?  Would Two Wheels Only be willing to share their intel so far?  Thank you for your time.

Sure. 

So far, I have gathered that 16020, 16027, 18018, 18019 do NOT have a walk-in closet. 

Also, 19033 and 19036 (both are wheelchair-accessible) do NOT have a walk-in closet. 

I want to be sure before posting the list so I am trying to get video/photo confirmation for everything. I'd hate to assume that port and starboard are identical if they are not. Usually, something such as knowing 19013 would make knowing 19018 a safe bet but I'll continue to wait/gather before making any more assumptions. It's bad enough that I am assuming that Seashore and Seascape are identical. Because the deck plans are slightly different/incomplete, I don't want to guess anything at this point. With MSC/Fincantieri, anything is possible. 

I have video/photo of the following...(all have a walk-in closet)

If anyone is willing to share photos/videos to fill in the gaps or to make corrections, please do so. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

Thank you TWO for the quick response & intel.  I can now breathe a sigh of relief as our cabin + our friends cabin who are traveling with us (the DW is a 5 suitcase + kind of gal!) all appear to have a walk in closet.  Phew!

• Like 1