Beer Onboard ... No IPA's or other high IBU ales?

FloridaMac

Tell me it ain't so.  I've heard there are no IPA's.  Does anyone know if they've added one?  I saw a list that included a bunch of pilsners and lagers plus a hard cider, a brown ale, and a stout. 

May depend on the ship.

MSC Cruises’ signature British pub will feature a new design on MSC World Europa, with two stories for enjoying live music and drinks. It will also include a full-scale micro-brewery making a signature beer onboard, thanks to a new collaboration with a master brewer that will be revealed soon.

I'd hope there'd be an IPA.

• Thanks 1

Depends on the ship.  In May the Seaside had two IPA's in the sports bar that were not available elsewhere.  I know they had Lagunitas Daytime and Little Sumpin' Sumpin' both in cans and on draft.

• Thanks 1

Depends on ship, sailing AND *** most importantly *** availability. They can have anything listed on a menu. Whether they carry it or not is a different story.  "Supply chain" issues, you know 😉

Little Sumptin' is not an IPA. However, they do have Lagunitas IPA on the American sailings. It's no Two Hearted, but it's better than a lager and beggars can't be choosers,

On my most recent MSC cruise (Meraviglia) they only had IPA’s at one bar (Brass Anchor). All the others only had piss water.

• Like 1

Grandiosa in Europe had a decent selection of beers, including IPAs, in the British pub. Outside that pub though it was mostly European beers like Hefeweizens. I *think* they had an IPA at the pizza place by the pool as well, though.

On 7/11/2023 at 5:44 AM, mvh said:

Little Sumptin' is not an IPA. However, they do have Lagunitas IPA on the American sailings. It's no Two Hearted, but it's better than a lager and beggars can't be choosers,

What do you consider it then?  Beer advocate calls it an IPA, and having visited the brewery many times and also bought it frequently, I would agree.  I guess technically since it isnt brewed in India specifically?

I might try contacting MSC and requesting that an IPA style be available prior to the cruise.  It might help.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/49789/

Edited by Pizzasteve

8 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

What do you consider it then?  Beer advocate calls it an IPA, and having visited the brewery many times and also bought it frequently, I would agree.  I guess technically since it isnt brewed in India specifically?

I might try contacting MSC and requesting that an IPA style be available prior to the cruise.  It might help.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/49789/

This has always been a debate. Technically it is a Wheat pale ale with a hoppy finish similar to an IPA. In my eye and most others it is not a true IPA. Try it and call it what you want.

1 hour ago, mvh said:

This has always been a debate. Technically it is a Wheat pale ale with a hoppy finish similar to an IPA. In my eye and most others it is not a true IPA. Try it and call it what you want.

Try it?  Did you even read my post where I said I’ve drunk it many times, including at Lagunitas Brewery where it is clearly called an IPA. I also helpfully provided a link to a detailed description.

You are the only person I’ve ever ‘met’ who didn’t consider it in that category, at least for a casual beer drinker.

And in the context of this thread, someone wanting a hopped IPA like beer on a cruise ship, your comment saying it isn’t an IPA was quite misleading.  For the record I really like this beer, assuming it is fresh and not incorrectly stored.  It is very odd that you feel the need to comment in a way that is distracting and not constructive to the discussion. At worst you should have said it is not ‘technically’ an IPA but drinks like one.  The OP title clearly says ’or other high IBU ales.’

Edited by Pizzasteve

Apology if I took thread off topic.  We are new to MSC this fall and I will want an IPA category beer or two onboard, so interested in ongoing advice. It suprised me to read that none are commonly available.

Edited by Pizzasteve