using Amazon to ship overseas with stuff for cruise

question221

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

The issue is the number of "hot hands" you might need to bring. If it's one or two packets, no big deal. If you want to bring the big sam's size box, then yes, those take up quite a bit of room. Hot water bottles have been made and used for heating for centuries, not sure why you think a brand new one from a reputable brand would leak. I've used one at home for ourselves. And stayed at a hotel once that didn't have central heat and that's all they used for heat. 

The one we used at home had a wider screw on lid. We liked it because you could put ice in it to make it a cold pack or hot water in to make it a hot pack.

I am thinking that if i take the hot hand packets and spread them throughout the luggage they will not take that much room as they will go into "spacers".  I really don't like the uncertainty and wish that RCCL would say - we allow this without a surge protector and we allow this with an automatic shut off - and those are the rules and you can take that to the bank.  Instead - well we get answers like sometimes they allow this and that.  Leaving us in a situation where we just don't know.  I don't want to waste any time in port worrying about getting supplies of this sort.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

That really is too bad.  I suspect you might get away with bringing the boxed heating pad, but the risk of having nothing if it were confiscated is understandable.  

It drives me crazy.  If they said NO you cannot bring, then I would just not bring.  So now, I have to get a new heating pad in the box and bring it and it may be confiscated and then I have to pick it up.  Certainty is golden. 

I had my hip replaced almost two years ago and it's hard to sleep on that side without something to soften the mattress.  I think a good idea as some have said is to ask the cabin stewards for an extra duvet that can be put under the bottom sheet.  I do bring one of those foam egg carton type mattress toppers and put it in checked luggage; in this case, inside of a plastic contractor bag and then inside of a duffle bag.  I also bring a heating pad, but you could bring a hot water bottle even though they are heavier.  It could be worth it...idk, for you to pay the extra luggage fee and just buy and bring a mattress topper with you.  In the end, that might be worth it and not have to worry about it showing up through customs and all.  I guess some people don't understand that when you have osteoarthritis in your hips how uncomfortable it can be.  The mattress might be comfortable, but the bones hips still don't like it.  Bring your creature comforts; it makes all the difference.  

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 6:54 AM, AKJonesy said:

I had my hip replaced almost two years ago and it's hard to sleep on that side without something to soften the mattress.  I think a good idea as some have said is to ask the cabin stewards for an extra duvet that can be put under the bottom sheet.  I do bring one of those foam egg carton type mattress toppers and put it in checked luggage; in this case, inside of a plastic contractor bag and then inside of a duffle bag.  I also bring a heating pad, but you could bring a hot water bottle even though they are heavier.  It could be worth it...idk, for you to pay the extra luggage fee and just buy and bring a mattress topper with you.  In the end, that might be worth it and not have to worry about it showing up through customs and all.  I guess some people don't understand that when you have osteoarthritis in your hips how uncomfortable it can be.  The mattress might be comfortable, but the bones hips still don't like it.  Bring your creature comforts; it makes all the difference.  

HI - I am curious - they allowed your heating pad?  I have been told that they confiscate heating pads, and the special needs department told me that you may of may not get it onboard if it is in original package and has a auto shut off.  I have ordered one of the klymit mattress pads that inflate, and I will return it if I don't like how it feels.  But that would be the easiest.  I am not sure the size of the eggshell mattress pad compressed, but that is another option.  I wish RCCL would just provide the foam pad for a fee - basically sell them to you and you could order in advance just like the drink package.   We have already requested the padding through the special needs so hopefully they will put the extra pad there.  This is 14 days and it is international, stopping in all international ports, so I am nervous that I would not be able to get something after the fact during the cruise.

Edited by question221
additional info
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 11:37 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

These "hot hands" are for sore muscles?  Would a bit of time in the hot tub provide the same result? 

Sometimes that works and sometimes not.  If it hits in the middle of the night, I would want something on it right away before it gets irritated.

4 hours ago, question221 said:

HI - I am curious - they allowed your heating pad? 

I hurt my back on a voyage and we popped over to CVS at the port in Key West.  I had to put it on the scanner and never even thought that it would not be allowed.  That was many years ago.  I still bring it with me on every voyage.  I want all of my comforts, supplements, potential medicines, etc when I travel...just in case.  

5 hours ago, question221 said:

I have ordered one of the klymit mattress pads that inflate, and I will return it if I don't like how it feels.  

Get a small battery inflator, better than turning blue blowing into it.

Edited by Philob

Is a twin bed foam mattress cover THAT big and bulky that it wouldn't fit in a suitcase?

I found this one at Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucid-2-Premium-Soft-Foam-Mattress-Topper-Twin/47961469

• Package Dimensions: 21” L x 10” W x 9” H; weighs 6 pounds

It seems like far less of a hassle to bring it with you vs trying to fly it in. 

18 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

I hurt my back on a voyage and we popped over to CVS at the port in Key West.  I had to put it on the scanner and never even thought that it would not be allowed.  That was many years ago.  I still bring it with me on every voyage.  I want all of my comforts, supplements, potential medicines, etc when I travel...just in case.  

Same here! 

I have a twin size egg crate pad that I bought in 2012 for a land trip (different hotel every day for 10 days); I knew that my arthritic joints (3 replacements at that point) & increasingly painful back would need all the help possible.  (My back has gotten much worse & I've added a shoulder replacement.)

The pad folds double length-wise & rolls like a jelly role. It goes into it's original barrel-shaped zippered plastic container;16" high & 11" across the top. 

I put 2 web luggage belts around it & slip it over the handle of my carry-on bag. It is deemed "medical equipment" & is a carry-on for the plane.

I usually cruise w/Princess.  They used to have the worst/hard beds, but now have lovely fluffy beds.  I still need the cushioning of the foam crate.   

That egg crate has traveled the USA, many other countries & 15 cruises w/me -- so far. 

In the past, I've also taken a heating pad (auto-shut off) w/ no problem.  I did tuck it into my clothes & esp. covered the bundled cord.

Take w/you what you need for comfort; otherwise you may not be able to get it "along the way'!

• Like 1

I use the ThermaCare brand when I travel, and have had no issues bringing them on the ship. They stay hot for several hours, and they adhere to skin/clothing so they stay where you put them

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thermacare&rh=p_85%3A2470955011&dc&crid=2E4DLV5BQEC0E&qid=1689721781&rnid=2470954011&sprefix=thermacare%2Caps%2C363&ref=is_r_p_85_1&ds=v1%3ATrUcZLM133g9PsZr1nbdEcgd%2FQCntRK6M5GSfxvG33k

Edited by KP@Sea
Spelling

On 7/15/2023 at 6:54 AM, AKJonesy said:

Well - I bought a Klymet Static V extra wide from Amazon and it arrived today.  I put it on the floor and laid on it and it a remarkably comfortable.  So, we are bringing 2 of those and with the extra mattress pad, we think it will be OK.  Perhaps not ideal - but OK.  We might try it on a weekend trip before going on the cruise, but this would be so much easier than getting a mattress pad and leaving it on the cruise.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 1:32 PM, DRS/NC said:

Same here! 

I have a twin size egg crate pad that I bought in 2012 for a land trip (different hotel every day for 10 days); I knew that my arthritic joints (3 replacements at that point) & increasingly painful back would need all the help possible.  (My back has gotten much worse & I've added a shoulder replacement.)

The pad folds double length-wise & rolls like a jelly role. It goes into it's original barrel-shaped zippered plastic container;16" high & 11" across the top. 

I put 2 web luggage belts around it & slip it over the handle of my carry-on bag. It is deemed "medical equipment" & is a carry-on for the plane.

I usually cruise w/Princess.  They used to have the worst/hard beds, but now have lovely fluffy beds.  I still need the cushioning of the foam crate.   

That egg crate has traveled the USA, many other countries & 15 cruises w/me -- so far. 

In the past, I've also taken a heating pad (auto-shut off) w/ no problem.  I did tuck it into my clothes & esp. covered the bundled cord.

Take w/you what you need for comfort; otherwise you may not be able to get it "along the way'!

It is funny because I can swear I bought a heating pad on at least 2 cruises in the US - and don't remember knowing that it could be a problem.  But now I am reading that it is a problem.  Seems silly if you get an auto shut off and it is UL listed.

I bought a klymet and I think it is going to work.  Just laid it out on the floor for testing and I was surprised that it was so comfortable.  We will see how it goes, but I am going to bring that this time and we have also requested additional mattress padding.  Thanks so much for the tip about bringing it as a carry on on the plane.

• Like 1

I have a similar problem, altho I get the impression not as severe as the OP's.

Ships usually have something to top a mattress, and your cabin steward will happily provide if you ask.

I need the support under my midriff, between rib-cage and hip,

Quilt toppers don't work for me, On a recent cruise a quilted topper didn't do the job, adding a second one made no difference, if the steward had added enough quilt toppers to reach the ceiling it still would have made no difference

A foam mattress sometimes works for me.

At home I have a memory-foam mattress, and that works a treat.

The package when I bought it was remarkably small and light - my heart sank when it arrived.

But that's because it was very very very  tightly packed, after un-packing it took a few hours to expand to its natural size.

It crushes under my ribcage and hip, but not under my midriff.

Bliss 🙂.

Only 2" (50ml) deep, but did the job - and still doing the job 3 years on.

A double -bed size would be awkward for taking by air, and unless you paid for excess luggage its size would limit the rest of your checked luggage allowance to one set of underwear 😏

But they're widely available in Europe in bedding shops - or click-and-collect on-line, available to pick up in 24/48 hours - and cost only about $40 upwards.

Re-packing one to bring it home would be pretty impossible unless you borrowed a road-roller 😄, but $30 is peanuts for two weeks of comfort, and you'll get the un-heard thanks of future cruisers who are provided with your memory-foam mattress.

On that last cruise I did the same as I often have to do in hotels & motels - fold and strategically place a towel or even a pillow under the sheet. It's OK for a couple of nights on a road-trip, and being able to do that takes away the worry of what to expect.

No experience of heating appliances, never even heard of "heating hands". The memory foam naturally creates heat which some folk find annoying

JB 🙂

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

I have a similar problem, altho I get the impression not as severe as the OP's.

Ships usually have something to top a mattress, and your cabin steward will happily provide if you ask.

I need the support under my midriff, between rib-cage and hip,

Quilt toppers don't work for me, On a recent cruise a quilted topper didn't do the job, adding a second one made no difference, if the steward had added enough quilt toppers to reach the ceiling it still would have made no difference

A foam mattress sometimes works for me.

At home I have a memory-foam mattress, and that works a treat.

The package when I bought it was remarkably small and light - my heart sank when it arrived.

But that's because it was very very very  tightly packed, after un-packing it took a few hours to expand to its natural size.

It crushes under my ribcage and hip, but not under my midriff.

Bliss 🙂.

Only 2" (50ml) deep, but did the job - and still doing the job 3 years on.

A double -bed size would be awkward for taking by air, and unless you paid for excess luggage its size would limit the rest of your checked luggage allowance to one set of underwear 😏

But they're widely available in Europe in bedding shops - or click-and-collect on-line, available to pick up in 24/48 hours - and cost only about $40 upwards.

Re-packing one to bring it home would be pretty impossible unless you borrowed a road-roller 😄, but $30 is peanuts for two weeks of comfort, and you'll get the un-heard thanks of future cruisers who are provided with your memory-foam mattress.

On that last cruise I did the same as I often have to do in hotels & motels - fold and strategically place a towel or even a pillow under the sheet. It's OK for a couple of nights on a road-trip, and being able to do that takes away the worry of what to expect.

No experience of heating appliances, never even heard of "heating hands". The memory foam naturally creates heat which some folk find annoying

JB 🙂

Thanks for the tips.  I bought one of the Klymet sleeping pads and tried it yesterday when it arrived.  I think it will do the trick and it is easy to pack both directions.  I am hoping it works for a  14 night trip, but I am sure it is better than nothing.  Fingers crossed.  Many people have recommended it and you might try if.  It was 104 dollars on Amazon.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, question221 said:

Thanks for the tips.  I bought one of the Klymet sleeping pads and tried it yesterday when it arrived.  I think it will do the trick and it is easy to pack both directions.  I am hoping it works for a  14 night trip, but I am sure it is better than nothing.  Fingers crossed.  Many people have recommended it and you might try if.  It was 104 dollars on Amazon.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

My memory foam topper is good for home, and for the time being I'll take my chances on road trips.

But I'm book-marked the Klymet products - they're available in the UK too.

JB 🙂