Greenwich disembarkation

nandjharris

We are booked on a cruise (our first on Viking - can't wait!) that ends in Greenwich, London. Does anyone know where exactly disembarkation takes place? In particular I need to arrange for a taxi to pick us up and I don't know where to tell them to collect us.

Thanks in advance for  your help.

PS Been a lurker on this forum for a couple of months now, it has been really useful and informative for first timers like us. Keep it up!

Squawk is right.  There is a docking pontoon moored in the Thames a very very short boat ride from the Greenwich boat Piers.  The taxis and buses pick up just off the stern of the clipper ship Cutty Sark on display there.  Very convenient and well organized. Hope you have some time to visit the many things to see in Greenwich.  The Thames Clipper boats to Tower Bridge and Westminster also are right there on the same docks.  

• Like 3

You'll be moored mid river, and then transfered (by one of the Thames Clipper boats) onto Greenwich pier.  This is in a pedestrianised area.  The nearest place a taxi can pick you up is outside the Gypsy Moth pub.  (Greenwich Church Street, SE10 9BL).  It's only a minute or two walk across the pedestrianised area to that pub.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Island2Dweller said:

You'll be moored mid river, and then transfered (by one of the Thames Clipper boats) onto Greenwich pier.  This is in a pedestrianised area.  The nearest place a taxi can pick you up is outside the Gypsy Moth pub.  (Greenwich Church Street, SE10 9BL).  It's only a minute or two walk across the pedestrianised area to that pub.

Good advice. Our driver couldn’t find the Cutty Sark and we were left hanging around for over an hour!!

On 7/13/2023 at 2:56 AM, cruisinchrissy said:

Good advice. Our driver couldn’t find the Cutty Sark and we were left hanging around for over an hour!!

Was that a Black Cab driver? If so, a huge failure on their required knowledge.  Cutty Sark is not only a historic monument, it is the name of a stop on the DLR rail; Greenwich for Cutty Sark

Private car drivers are not required to have the encyclopedic knowledge, but this is a major, Google able, landmark that should rise up on any navigation app.

I don't buy the drivers excuse 

• Like 1

No, not a black cab.  A London private company that do port pick ups!! We gave the postcode too!

We had to direct him from our mobile phones on Google 😳 After I’d calmed down, he explained that he was new to the UK and was not familiar with the route!! So I let it go. 

I would certainly give the company an earful.  I didn't know how to get to anyplace prior to going the first time. If this driver is going to be successful in the region they are going to need how to use a map app pronto.  If they sent him out without the tools then they are not a company that can be recommended 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JerryInIL said:

I suppose there will be others staying in London after disembarking in Greenwich.  Is there any way to share transportation to hotels, other than asking everyone on the ship?

You are paying thousands for a cruise.  Call Addison Lee and let them take you door to door in comfort.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 9:35 PM, Island2Dweller said:

This is excellent advice.  We made the mistake of just disembarking and giving the name of a street - our taxi had trouble finding us.  Outside a  pub would have been an easier location.  

• Like 1

The Gypsy Moth pub is actually right next door to The Cutty Sark,  (last Tea Clipper)  ie within 30 feet.  Google Maps is your friend (especially "street View"} - it's so easy to see a location so I dont understand why more people don't use it

• Like 1