Viking Canceling Split Port on Mediterranean Odyssey Cruise?

Emdial

So I've been hearing rumblings on other social media sites that Viking is forgoing Split because of construction at the port. Some folks have received an email about a week prior to departure notifying them of the change. I'm just curious if folks that have been on a Med. cruise recently and had Split as a port - did you stop there? Were you notified before hand? If you booked an excursion, were you reimbursed? Did they substitute another stop or did you go directly to Venice (or Dubrovnik?)

Wondering if it's just a temporary thing or if it's fleet wide and Viking isn't stopping there until construction is completed (I read first part of 2024)? We are headed there in mid - September and just booked excursions so really curious about real time experiences. And yes...I know nothing is set in stone and ports can be missed for different reasons. More curious if this has been happening for months or if it just started as I follow many Viking groups and this is the first I've heard of it. Thanks for any insight!

It may not even really be a port construction issue. Our June 2023 cruise was supposed to stop in Sibenek, Croatia the day before Venice (Chioggia actually). We had received a notice a month or two before saying that the stop in Sibenek was canceled due to port construction.

However, on the ship the Cruise director said that wasn't the reason at all. The real reason was to get into the Chioggia port, the ship had to arrive at high tide. The timing of the tides was such that they couldn't make it to Chioggia in time had they stopped in Sibenek.

Your Split cancellation question sounds suspiciously similar.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

We went to both Split and Sibenik in March 2022; both arrivals were early morning, as usual; no trouble at all. I would add that both were great places to visit; we had one of our favorite meals in Split.

• Like 1

Split has a wonderful city green market just outside the Diocletian palace gates. It is a fine walking city.

On our Celebrity visit a few years ago, we were tendered in to the center of town, just down from the ferry terminal. Split is the terminus for many ferries serving the Adriatic islands. At one time, ferries also went to Ancona and Venice.

We didn't tender in; we were docked very close to city center. In fact, we left the group during the brief walking tour and wandered the streets, bought some things, a lot of olives (which I've since devoured), found an excellent cafe on the harbor front. It was probably a 1/2-mile walk to the ship from there.