Freeport, Half Moon Cay & Nassau...

CruiseMomTX

We're sailing on the Carnival Dream 8/12 and trying to figure out what to do at each port, Half Moon Cay is the only one we haven't been to before.  It's just the two of us for our 33rd Anniversary, like to relax on the beach, hubby loves seafood but I only like coconut shrimp so I think a food tour is probably out.

Key West - plan to get off and explore, chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick is a must and maybe lunch somewhere, hubby would love to try some good cuban food or get some seafood

Freeport- plan to just get off and walk around the port area then get back on and enjoy the pools onboard

Half Moon Cay - have never been her so not sure, how early is the first tender so we can get a good spot on the beach (we are Platinum)?  Is there just one main beach area?  Are food and drinks included (we will have the drink package)?

Nassau - We stayed at the Cove Atlantis years ago and also did the waterpark several years ago with our kids on a port day.  Can you just go and walk around the resort for free or use the beach not the waterpark?  Are there good beached walking distance to the port?  I think I saw a day pass for the RIU how is that? I guess you would taxi there and back?

Thanks for any input!!!

Key West is definitely worth getting off the ship and bumming around the town.  Lots of wonderful places to eat and drink.  Cuban food is a wonderful idea (I just had Cuban for lunch today!).

Freeport:  good plan.  There isn't much to really see or do.  If you want to go to a beach you've got to do an excursion.

Half Moon Cay:  I've never been there either so I can't respond

Nassau:  There is no way to walk around the Atlantis resort, except for maybe the docks and the little Junkanoo village, or use the beach without a day pass (which are pricey).  If you want to go over to Paradise Island, your best bet is to take a taxi.

2 hours ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Key West - plan to get off and explore, chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick is a must and maybe lunch somewhere, hubby would love to try some good cuban food or get some seafood

Great idea.  We went to Blue Heaven for key lime and it was fantastic.  Also consider visiting the Hemingway House.  It's pretty cool.

Freeport- plan to just get off and walk around the port area then get back on and enjoy the pools onboard

This is what we've done twice, but there are some beach excursions I've heard good things about.  Since we hit the beach at two other stops, didn't feel it necessary to do here.

Half Moon Cay - have never been her so not sure, how early is the first tender so we can get a good spot on the beach (we are Platinum)?  Is there just one main beach area?  Are food and drinks included (we will have the drink package)?

This place is amazingly beautiful.  The beach is one long area with loungers galore.  There's not a lot of shade, though, so consider clamshell.  We actually brought a cheap, collapsible umbrella we bought off of Amazon.

Free lunch is provided (burgers, hot dogs and stuff like that).  It was very underwhelming to say the least.  There are drink waiters and you can pay with your sign and sail, but Cheers doesn't work here.  

Nassau - We stayed at the Cove Atlantis years ago and also did the waterpark several years ago with our kids on a port day.  Can you just go and walk around the resort for free or use the beach not the waterpark?  Are there good beached walking distance to the port?  I think I saw a day pass for the RIU how is that? I guess you would taxi there and back?

Can't answer about Atlantis or RIU, but Junkanoo beach is within walking distance to the port (about 10-15 minutes) and is free to access.  Chairs/umbrellas maybe 20-25 bucks.  The beach can get a little packed, but we enjoyed it, then walked to the Fish Fry area for some great food.