Shore Excursions Genoa Italy

NewAmsterdam

First time cruisers and would like to get fellow cruisers opinion on what is the best shore excursion for 1 port day in Genoa. 

I'm thinking of Portofino, Santa Margherita and Camogli.

Looking on Tripadvisor to see if I can book a tour but the price is very expensive. It seems booking direct with Princess cruise is cheaper. However, I'm wondering if I am able to make this trip DIY, is public transport good and easy to use and get to the places I have mentioned? Looking at google maps it seems like a lot of the attractions are scattered around and not close by, don't really want o be rushing around to see everything and risk missing the cruise back. 

Any advice and tips appreciated. TiA 

In general, when planning a DIY excursion it's best to focus and attempt to see fewer places (unless you are using a car service), because public transportation simply takes more time than being driven from place to place.

Can you prioritize the places you want to see?  Also, when is this port day?  Some transportation (water) is seasonal.

We did Genoa on our own on our recent cruise. We took a taxi to the aquarium and then did the HOHO Bus. We are slow and spent a lot of time there so did not have an opportunity to get on and off the bus to see attractions we just rode it one circuit which is an hour and got off at the stop near the cruise terminal. 

6 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

In general, when planning a DIY excursion it's best to focus and attempt to see fewer places (unless you are using a car service), because public transportation simply takes more time than being driven from place to place.

Can you prioritize the places you want to see?  Also, when is this port day?  Some transportation (water) is seasonal.

Port day is on a Thursday. The places I have mentioned are the places I'm interested in. Are these doable by public transport? 

Yes, it is possible by public transit but a little more information is needed to be helpful.  As I said, some transportation is seasonal, so what month is this port day taking place?  Also, what are your hours in port?  With that we can provide more specific information.

In general, you can take the train from Genova Piazza Principe to Santa Margherita in about 45 minutes.  Then, from there to Portofino is an easy ferry, bus or taxi ride.  From Portofino to Camogli just reverse the process back to Santa Margherita and take the train from there to Camogli, before taking it again back to Genova.

It's a lot of travel time when you add it all up, which is why I asked about prioritizing your list.  You may have to drop one of the three stops in order to have an enjoyable amount of time at the other two.

33 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Yes, it is possible by public transit but a little more information is needed to be helpful.  As I said, some transportation is seasonal, so what month is this port day taking place?  Also, what are your hours in port?  With that we can provide more specific information.

In general, you can take the train from Genova Piazza Principe to Santa Margherita in about 45 minutes.  Then, from there to Portofino is an easy ferry, bus or taxi ride.  From Portofino to Camogli just reverse the process back to Santa Margherita and take the train from there to Camogli, before taking it again back to Genova.

It's a lot of travel time when you add it all up, which is why I asked about prioritizing your list.  You may have to drop one of the three stops in order to have an enjoyable amount of time at the other two.

We travel in Aug this year. Port time is 7am-7pm.

To be honest I looked on tripadvisor to see the list of attractions and most them were museums and churches, not that I do not like seeing them but at the same time don't want to spend our whole time being inside, hence chose the places I've mentioned. I think I got camogli wrong, it's Rapello. 

What would you suggest we do for the day? 

Okay, let's lay this out and see how it feels for you.

The Genova Piazza Principe train station is an easy ten minute walk from the cruise port (one third of a mile).

You have a nice, long day so I wouldn't try to race off the ship, I'd aim for the 7:47 IC train that arrives to Rapallo at 8:27.  

There is a ferry every hour from Rapallo to Portofino, it takes a half hour to make the trip.  When you're ready, just jump on the ferry (buy tickets in advance, it can sell out).

Take the same ferry back to Santa Margherita Ligure when you're ready, and eventually the train back to Genova.

Since you'll need to be back on board by 6:30 PM, I'd aim for arriving back to Genova Piazza Principe station no later than 6.  There are trains from Santa Margherita Ligure at 16:46 (4:46 PM), arriving at 17:26 (5:26 PM) or at 16:55, arriving at 17:46.

That gives you a nice long day without feeling pushed.

Train info here:  EN - Trenitalia

Ferry info here:  Visit Rapallo, Santa margherita Ligure, Portofino, San Fruttuoso - Maritime Services of Tigullio (traghettiportofino.it)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Okay, let's lay this out and see how it feels for you.

The Genova Piazza Principe train station is an easy ten minute walk from the cruise port (one third of a mile).

You have a nice, long day so I wouldn't try to race off the ship, I'd aim for the 7:47 IC train that arrives to Rapallo at 8:27.  

There is a ferry every hour from Rapallo to Portofino, it takes a half hour to make the trip.  When you're ready, just jump on the ferry (buy tickets in advance, it can sell out).

Take the same ferry back to Santa Margherita Ligure when you're ready, and eventually the train back to Genova.

Since you'll need to be back on board by 6:30 PM, I'd aim for arriving back to Genova Piazza Principe station no later than 6.  There are trains from Santa Margherita Ligure at 16:46 (4:46 PM), arriving at 17:26 (5:26 PM) or at 16:55, arriving at 17:46.

That gives you a nice long day without feeling pushed.

Train info here:  EN - Trenitalia

Ferry info here:  Visit Rapallo, Santa margherita Ligure, Portofino, San Fruttuoso - Maritime Services of Tigullio (traghettiportofino.it)

I can not thank you enough for your reply. It is really helpful and we'll explained. Thank you also for the link provided for the train and Ferry. 

How long do you think it will take to see each place? 2 hours each should do it? 

Can I buy both Ferry and train tickets online beforehand, is that what you recommend? 

These are fairly small places, so two hours gives you enough time to walk around and get a feel for each one.  Do consider where you'd like to have lunch and allow yourself enough time there.

I would buy the ferry tickets in advance because this year tourism has overwhelmed Italy and you don't want to get shut out.  The train tickets do not need to be purchased in advance.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

These are fairly small places, so two hours gives you enough time to walk around and get a feel for each one.  Do consider where you'd like to have lunch and allow yourself enough time there.

I would buy the ferry tickets in advance because this year tourism has overwhelmed Italy and you don't want to get shut out.  The train tickets do not need to be purchased in advance.

Where can I book the tickets from in advance? I've been on the link you have sent but can't see anywhere I can book. 

I just dug around on the site, on both the Italian and English language pages, and I don't see a way to buy the tickets.

Given that, I would go directly to the ticket office in Rapallo from the train station and buy both tickets (Rapallo to Portofino and Portofino to Santa Margherita Ligure) before you do your sightseeing in Rapallo.

The dock and ticket office is located at Molo Bruno di Lorenzi, about 700 meters/four-tenths of a mile on foot from the train station.

rapalloStil.jpg

17 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I just dug around on the site, on both the Italian and English language pages, and I don't see a way to buy the tickets.

Given that, I would go directly to the ticket office in Rapallo from the train station and buy both tickets (Rapallo to Portofino and Portofino to Santa Margherita Ligure) before you do your sightseeing in Rapallo.

The dock and ticket office is located at Molo Bruno di Lorenzi, about 700 meters/four-tenths of a mile on foot from the train station.

rapalloStil.jpg

I've emailed them and got a reply to say no pre booking is required, however, I will take your advice and go to the ticket booth in advance just in case. 

Really appreciate all your help on this, you really have made my life easier. 

Now I have to figure out the other ports of call. 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2023 at 9:42 PM, euro cruiser said:

rapalloStil.jpg

Hi Again,

Was looking to book the Santa Margherita to Genova train ticket, looking at the timings and the ship leaving at 7pm , would arriving back at the ship for 6/6.15pm be ok or should we be arriving back earlier?

I'm looking at either 16:46 arriving at 17:26 or 16:55 arriving 17:46?

What is the norm time to get back to the ship after a day in port when the ship is due to leave at 7pm?

Appreciate your help.

Usually the on-board time is 30 minutes prior to the departure time, so in your case 6:30 PM (18:30).

I always advise (and do myself) taking the next-to-the-last train that would get you back in time, just in case.  

Allowing 15 minutes to walk from the train station to the ship, the absolute latest you could arrive back at Genova P. Principe would be 18:15, and that's really risky with regionale trains.  

There is a 17:46 IC train that arrives at 18:15, I would look at this as your safety or fall-back option, if all else fails.

Personally, I would take the 16:55 train that arrives to P. Principe at 17:46.  I know that's quite a bit before you're due back on board, but for me part of enjoying my day is not worrying constantly about getting back, with this much pad time it's very low risk.

As these are regionale trains there's no need to buy in advance, other than the ease of not having to do it on site.

We hired a private local guide who accompanied us all day, and we took public transportation to all three places.  (Genoa, S.M.  and Portofino).   We had a group of 6 so it made sense to do that rather than book 6 excursions. 

We enjoyed all 3 places.   Pleasantly surprised at Genoa itself.   Portofino was beautiful as expected.

Have fun !

12 hours ago, Kangaroo1972 said:

@CCJack Curious who you hired or what company you used for the private local guide in Genoa?  We will be stopping there in a few weeks on a Princess cruise.  thanks!

We went with gogenova  tours  (one word, with the v).    She was a great tour guide and we had a wonderful day.

• 5 months later...