Name Change on a Yacht Club Booking?

Greygooser

Hey folks. It's my understanding I'm allowed one "name change" on a YC booking. I have a solo cruise booked for November and I can no longer go. Do they let you transfer it to a stranger? Like theoretically could I "sell" the reservation to not lose my deposit? I scored a very low rate for a YC interior from earlier this year before they (seemingly) raised their prices. I wouldn't do it on CC because I assume it's against the rules, just wanted to throw the concept/hypothetical out there and see what everyone thinks

Not sure if it makes a difference, but we had a Covid re-booking and my son's GF was no longer able to go, so we had our travel agent change to one of his friends. I thought there was supposed to be a re-booking fee, but we were never charged.  We had also purchased travel insurance and were told by the TA that couldn't be changed, but when we called the company directly, they had no problem changing the name for that as well.

When in December and how good of a deal? I may have some free time to squeeze in a cruise LOL!

2 hours ago, mnpurple said:

Not sure if it makes a difference, but we had a Covid re-booking and my son's GF was no longer able to go, so we had our travel agent change to one of his friends. I thought there was supposed to be a re-booking fee, but we were never charged.  We had also purchased travel insurance and were told by the TA that couldn't be changed, but when we called the company directly, they had no problem changing the name for that as well.

When in December and how good of a deal? I may have some free time to squeeze in a cruise LOL!

Its in 11/27 out of NYC to Bermuda, 5 nights, I've paid the deposit of $199 out of the total fare of $1555 so $1356 balance due before 8/24. I haven't seen any solo YC fares under $2k in a while. I didn't have a Voyagers Club number so no discount has been applied. And I get $50 OBC.

Do read the contract T&Cs carefully, as I seem to recall that in the event that you transfer the cruise to another person, you remain jointly liable for the final payment, so worth being sure it is someone you trust.

Section 13 of the T&C's covers the OP's situation.   At least one of the original passengers must remain on the booking or it's a cancelation.   It would be possible to add a second person and original passenger does a no show,  but there's a chance MSC would add additional charges to the now solo passenger. 

An original passenger must remain in the Booking for the name change not to be considered a cancellation. If an original passenger does not remain in the Booking, it will be considered a cancellation and is subject to the above cancellation charges. 

Booking Terms and Conditions 230713.pdf

Edited by Até

4 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Do read the contract T&Cs carefully, as I seem to recall that in the event that you transfer the cruise to another person, you remain jointly liable for the final payment, so worth being sure it is someone you trust.

Ignore this, it is UK only, or at least in the UK terms and not in the US terms.

We don't have the 'original passenger' requirement though.

4 hours ago, Mark_T said:

They don't follow the T&C.   You have to but they don't.

They can do "anything" for operational purposes. They decided what anything is.

8 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

They don't follow the T&C.   You have to but they don't.

They can do "anything" for operational purposes. They decided what anything is.

We all know you had a bad experience, that doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea to understand what the T&Cs for the region you booked in actually are as a starting point.