Random Spa Question

starstruck05

Hey yall! I have a random spa experience question. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned the issue my mom had before with prepayment for the spa using the 20% discount and the spa recharging for the services once they are done. They spa team has also added their own tip to the charge with this recharge. It's "supposed" to refund the original charge but last cruise my mom had to go to GS to get it fixed.

So the main question is has anyone had this same experience recently? Have you had the spa team put their own tip on your SS card? Have you ever tipped cash in the spa? Sorry for all the questions but we are leary to pre book the spa again after last time but we sail again in 40 days.

The Spa gratuity is always added at time of service.  It is not prepaid.  Yes, they recharge the service and are supposed to credit back within a day but sometimes they miss it.  I have always got it corrected onboard.  You can add more tips but the 18% is required.    At the end, the only charges I have is the gratuities.  

50 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The Spa gratuity is always added at time of service.  It is not prepaid.  Yes, they recharge the service and are supposed to credit back within a day but sometimes they miss it.  I have always got it corrected onboard.  You can add more tips but the 18% is required.    At the end, the only charges I have is the gratuities.  

Thank you for responding. In my mom's case the added tip has been more than 18% more than once.

Hey @starstruck05 my experience when prepaying is like @Elaine5715 said - they'll charge it again WITH 18% gratuity then you'll see a credit for the original amount in a couple days.

I have never had anyone in the spa add additional tip for themselves,  but there is a line for it. Are you sure your mom didn't write a tip in there thinking that she was putting in the 18%? 

They should give you a copy after it's signed. If they don't, ask for one before you leave.

If you don't see the credit in a couple days, take the receipt back and ask them for the credit.

I know, all that stress sure ruins the good massage you just got...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

Thank you for responding. In my mom's case the added tip has been more than 18% more than once.

Yes, the tip will be automatically added (I mentioned this in another thread), but it should only be the 18% if it is not, ask for it to be corrected immediately before you sign the receipt.  To answer some of your other questions too

Here is my advice to anyone reading this.

1.  They always rebill in the spa and then are supposed to issue a credit back.  ALWAYS review receipt before you sign it and make sure the amount they are billing you in the spa matches exactly the amount that you prepaid for the service (I have had it show up higher once or twice on board). Keep you prepaid confirmation with you for this very reason.

2.  Tip is included! when they bill, there is always a line that has gratuity of 18%, make sure it is 18% of the prepaid amount (18% of a prepaid $50 service = $9, but if they are trying to bill it out at a new $60 rate on board they may remember to correct that to the prepaid $50 amount but the tip line may still show 18% of the $60 so $10.80).  A lot of people do not realize that the tip is included already and then they tip AGAIN and fill in the blank tip line at the bottom of the receipt.  You can always add more if you want, but watch and know a tip has already been added once. 

3. Watch your sail and sign account, you should see the billing come through AND a credit as well (in the above example you would see a $59 charge to your bill and then a $50 credit back as gratuity is NOT included when you prepay).   SOMETIMES this gets messed up.  If you do not have the credit within 24 hours go back to the SPA (don't waste all the time standing at guest services).  Advise them at the SPA desk that the credit has not been issued and it has been 24 hours.... ask them to address it with accounting while you wait.  I have done this, and they call while I am standing there and it is back on my sail and sign card within an hour or two.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wemjam said:

Yes, the tip will be automatically added (I mentioned this in another thread), but it should only be the 18% if it is not, ask for it to be corrected immediately before you sign the receipt.  To answer some of your other questions too

1.  They always rebill in the spa and then are supposed to issue a credit back.  ALWAYS review receipt before you sign it and make sure the amount they are billing you in the spa matches exactly the amount that you prepaid for the service (I have had it show up higher once or twice on board). Keep you prepaid confirmation with you for this very reason.

2.  Tip is included! when they bill, there is always a line that has gratuity of 18%, make sure it is 18% of the prepaid amount (18% of a prepaid $50 service = $9, but if they are trying to bill it out at a new $60 rate on board they may remember to correct that to the prepaid $50 amount but the tip line may still show 18% of the $60 so $10.80).  A lot of people do not realize that the tip is included already and then they tip AGAIN and fill in the blank tip line at the bottom of the receipt.  You can always add more if you want, but watch and know a tip has already been added once. 

3. Watch your sail and sign account, you should see the billing come through AND a credit as well (in the above example you would see a $59 charge to your bill and then a $50 credit back as gratuity is NOT included when you prepay).   SOMETIMES this gets messed up.  If you do not have the credit within 24 hours go back to the SPA (don't waste all the time standing at guest services).  Advise them at the SPA desk that the credit has not been issued and it has been 24 hours.... ask them to address it with accounting while you wait.  I have done this, and they call while I am standing there and it is back on my sail and sign card within an hour or two.

Great explanation.  

13 hours ago, wemjam said:

Which such a kerfuffle, is there ever any advantage to prepaying the Spa?

24 minutes ago, weezal said:

to select your preferred time. or if you have a promo code.

Yep, really the only reason to pre-book. My mom usually does the first sea day. The issue is most of our recent times, they did not refund in the time frame and it was a trip to GS. I think she has settled on not pre-booking this time.

12 hours ago, weezal said:

to select your preferred time. or if you have a promo code.

This is the key reason I prebook.  I like to get a pedicure shortly after getting on so I have nice toes for the cruise.  Also certain time slots are less expensive then others.  The first time slots of the cruise tend to be less than later in the cruise.

Also, people will book specific things for say formal nights.  They might want to get their hair or nails done and these slots sell out pretty quick.  Prebooking helps assure the time slot you want.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Viajera7 said:

But can I apply before I board ( whenI pre book)?

Yes, it usually will actually prompt you and say " you have OBC would you like to use that"

I was so happy when they made this possible (relatively new for a long time cruiser)!  Was able to use OBC instead of paying out of pocket up front.  You can use OBC for prebooking specialty dinning, excursions and fun shop purchases too.

• Like 2

Thanks for the information. I’m going on my birthday cruise next month and I want to pamper myself and book some spa treatments and see if I can book Chef’s Table for my birthday. OBC will help me to do this.

Being able to use OBC before being onboard is definitely something Carnival does right!! And if you do need to make a change before sailing, the refund back to OBC is automatic and quick, no jumping through hoops. I've done this 3 times this week.