Ship movement

Cynthia Darch

On SAGA AI is used to automatically stabilise the ship.

In our onion it's effective and light years away from what we experience when we were cruising in the '80s and 90s and even on older ships ten years ago.

But...

1 hour ago, Cynthia Darch said:

how bouncy it is at the back of the ship.

Very much depends on the tides, currents, wind direction, knots per hour, the ship's speed, swell and personal feelings as well as lots of other things. 

• Like 1

Bounce? Bounce?

These ships are far too dignified to bounce.

Speaking for the Discovery, when there is a swell she develops a ladylike sway, which is more noticeable on the upper decks, but bouncing is not on her agenda.

Our last cabin (Norway) was E541(L grade), which is almost as far back as you can get, and for the Baltic another aft cabin D048 ((J grade), and (very)full water glasses remained full until we drunk them - no perceptible movement.

Probably the steadiest (and quietest) ship we have been on.

• Like 3

The new ships are generally so quiet and stable that it’s hard to know they are moving. However, like any vessel, in severe gales be prepared for some rocking about. This is most obvious near the top of the ship but can be felt everywhere to some extent. In our mid ship, mid deck cabin our water bottle and glasses crashed off the shelf and smashed in a severe gale across the Bay of Biscay. We learned the lesson not to leave vulnerable items in risky places when conditions were bad. When your steward ties down your balcony furniture it’s always a sign of expected movement!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kohima said:

Wrist seabands (available from the onboard shop or pharmacies) are helpful in rough conditions. If all else fails complimentary Stugeron are available from reception, or bring your own.

For me, it's the patch.  Only thing I've found that really works.   But obviously, different remedies work for different people.  I'm pretty susceptible to seasickness.

It depends on the seas. Best to avoid Bay of Biscay Nov -March as it can be rough also all seas. Walking around the ship can be difficult but there are hand rails. Mid cabins are best and the lower the better. If like me I stay in my cabin but my husband is fine. It all goes down to the individual as no one size fits all. Far better than the old Saga ships