Will Seabourn (and other cruise lines) have to change their itineraries during the summer?

SLSD

On 7/19/2023 at 12:03 AM, SLSD said:

I think because we are from Texas,  we really hate hot weather and avoid it if at all possible.  Maybe we are in a minority?

"Hey, at least it's a dry heat..." - that's what everyone used to say when I lived in Central Texas.

My response was "A hot oven is dry heat; try sticking your head in one for a few minutes and see if you like it."

Down here in Florida, we have humid heat.  That might be worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, nancygp said:

this has been my daily routine for the past month +…there’s no end in sight. 5 more days until we fly to the Pacific Northwest! 😊

Nancy

Hopefully you will get some well deserved respite from the heat!  We loved our Alaska cruise and will go again.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

"Hey, at least it's a dry heat..." - that's what everyone used to say when I lived in Central Texas.

My response was "A hot oven is dry heat; try sticking your head in one for a few minutes and see if you like it."

Down here in Florida, we have humid heat.  That might be worse.

All of this heat--whether dry or humid is unpleasant--and even dangerous right now.  Thank goodness for powerful air conditioning!  Central Texas is a favorite of ours--Austin in the 1970s specifically.  It's not the same now of course.  

26 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Hopefully you will get some well deserved respite from the heat!  We loved our Alaska cruise and will go again.  

We will!  This will be our 5th time cruising Alaska and first time going there on seabourn…can’t wait.

stay cool,

Nancy

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SLSD said:

All of this heat--whether dry or humid is unpleasant--and even dangerous right now.  Thank goodness for powerful air conditioning!  Central Texas is a favorite of ours--Austin in the 1970s specifically.  It's not the same now of course.  

I haven't been back that way since the early 90's.  But I still miss the BBQ (Brisket!!) and the Tex Mex.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nancygp said:

this has been my daily routine for the past month +…there’s no end in sight. 5 more days until we fly to the Pacific Northwest! 😊

Nancy

If you're doing the Alaska cruise on the 28th, I'll be there too. Vancouver isn't nearly as bad as many parts in the US but it is MUCH hotter than normal. But for those of you sweltering in 90+ (or even worse) 100+ temps, our 82 degrees will probably feel cold ;-)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jrcruisealong said:

If you're doing the Alaska cruise on the 28th, I'll be there too. Vancouver isn't nearly as bad as many parts in the US but it is MUCH hotter than normal. But for those of you sweltering in 90+ (or even worse) 100+ temps, our 82 degrees will probably feel cold 😉

Yes on the 28th.  Love your city and look forward to another visit next week,  the temps in Vancouver should be on the 70’s next week.  I’ll take 82 right now? 😀

nancy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

I haven't been back that way since the early 90's.  But I still miss the BBQ (Brisket!!) and the Tex Mex.

Both are great things and we enjoy them often.  

51 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

South Florida does neither of those very well.

Not many places other than Texas do Tex Mex well.  New Mexico has fabulous New Mexican food, but it is not Tex Mex.  It has its own charm and is a favorite of ours.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SLSD said:

Not many places other than Texas do Tex Mex well.  New Mexico has fabulous New Mexican food, but it is not Tex Mex.  It has its own charm and is a favorite of ours.  

Pappasito's was a favorite of mine for fajitas.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I've just read that the Acropolis in Athens is closed again today due to extreme heat.  

Closing the Acropolis because of heat is not an unusual occurrence in July.  Eleven years ago my daughter and I were in Athens and fortunately took a tour to the Acropolis early in the morning. By noon the place was closed because the temperature had risen so much that walking around there was like being on a marble frying pan.  On that cruise we sailed from Venice to Rome and I don't think I felt cool at any time when I was ashore, but that was when she could go so we did.  Coincidentally while we were away it was just as hot at home in eastern Virginia.  I vowed to never travel to the Med area in July or August again.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 3:38 PM, Rothko1 said:

Pappasito's was a favorite of mine for fajitas.

Still love Pappasito's!  Ninfa's (the original one on Navigation) was the best for a long time.  But I ate there recently and it's just not the same anymore.  Although the "Ninfarita" is still delicious!

The best Tex-Mex anywhere in the world (IMNSHO) is the Vermillion Restaurant in Brownsville Texas.  Best enchiladas or fajitas you'll ever have.  Outstanding ceviche too.  

Not on a Seabourn cruise port of call, unfortunately!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SDuckers said:

Still love Pappasito's!  Ninfa's (the original one on Navigation) was the best for a long time.  But I ate there recently and it's just not the same anymore.  Although the "Ninfarita" is still delicious!

The best Tex-Mex anywhere in the world (IMNSHO) is the Vermillion Restaurant in Brownsville Texas.  Best enchiladas or fajitas you'll ever have.  Outstanding ceviche too.  

Ok.  I will admit this--I am a huge fan of Mi Cocina in Dallas.  We dine there at least once a week--and more likely twice.  I tend to be a creature of habit when it comes to Tex Mex.  For me, it's the ambience as much as the food, but Mi Cocina fits the bill on both counts.  

I think it would be a mistake for any cruise line to try to make Tex Mex.  You just have to be local.  https://www.micocina.com/

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SDuckers said:

I'm not sure too many people would want to travel to Brownsville just to have a dinner, even if it was delicious Tex-Mex.

4 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I'm not sure too many people would want to travel to Brownsville just to have a dinner, even if it was delicious Tex-Mex.

Yeah, you have to have a reason to go to Brownsville (although it really is a lovely city).

Just now, SDuckers said:

Yeah, you have to have a reason to go to Brownsville (although it really is a lovely city).

With a very good zoo--even though those are controversial.  But hey everyone--come to Texas for Tex Mex--we'll  steer you to some great places to dine.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Don't forget BBQ.  Schoepf's in Belton was one of my favorite local places.  Not sure if it is still good.

The Salt Lick was also a pretty amazing experience.

The Salt Lick was a favorite of ours almost 50 years ago when my husband and I were dating.  It's still so popular that getting in is problematic!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SLSD said:

The Salt Lick was a favorite of ours almost 50 years ago when my husband and I were dating.  It's still so popular that getting in is problematic!

I loved that it was BYOB.  A great way to keep down the cost.

There was another place near where I lived called the Cyclone BBQ.  A hidden jewel.

Edited by Rothko1
  • Like 1