Will Seabourn (and other cruise lines) have to change their itineraries during the summer?

SLSD

I've been watching news reports and today the city of Rome reached 110 degrees Fahrenheit.  I know for a fact that Mr. SLSD and I will not be cruising in the Med or anywhere near there in the summer going forward with these kinds of temperatures.  We already live in a very hot climate (Texas) but do not choose to travel to one.   Will future cruise itineraries adapt?  Will there be too many cruise ships going to the most sought after areas?  

• Like 1

Don’t have an answer to your question, but I think I’m done cruising during the summer months in ANY warm climate area. We just returned from a cruise and it was brutally hot. We cut our days ashore short because it was too much for some family members to handle. 

The last time we sailed in the Mediterranean, we did so in November and it was blissful. Temperatures hovered in the 60F’s and the crowds were very thin. 

• Like 2

We have been to Europe (including Rome) during previous heat waves and I cannot imagine cruise ships changing itineraries because of heat.  But, it will sure have some impact on excursions (which are run by local companies).   We were in Greece in August 2021 during their awful heat wave (temps well over 100f) and massive fires (with smoke over Athens).  I do not recall any of the cruise lines changing their itineraries.  

During our working days we could only cruise in Europe during July-August.  Since we are independent folks (seldom take excursions or tours in Europe)  we would simply adapt our plans to the weather.  ON a hot day we would often head towards a beach rather than a hot city :).  I recall being in Naples during an awful heat wave and hearing the horror stories from folks who took pre booked excursions to Pompeii.  On that very hot day we simply walked over to the nearby ferry terminal and hopped on a ferry to Ischia (where they had a nice sea breeze).

Hank

• Like 1

As there are only so many places that cruise ships can visit each season, it may be difficult for them to completely drop the Med in future summers. However, cruise lines might just extend the seasons for certain destinations like the Med and spread out the sailings. I've seen this happen with river cruises over the years. In fact, I believe one of the river cruise companies recently announced it was expanding its cruising season in Europe. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have been to Europe (including Rome) during previous heat waves and I cannot imagine cruise ships changing itineraries because of heat.  But, it will sure have some impact on excursions (which are run by local companies).   We were in Greece in August 2021 during their awful heat wave (temps well over 100f) and massive fires (with smoke over Athens).  I do not recall any of the cruise lines changing their itineraries.  

During our working days we could only cruise in Europe during July-August.  Since we are independent folks (seldom take excursions or tours in Europe)  we would simply adapt our plans to the weather.  ON a hot day we would often head towards a beach rather than a hot city :).  I recall being in Naples during an awful heat wave and hearing the horror stories from folks who took pre booked excursions to Pompeii.  On that very hot day we simply walked over to the nearby ferry terminal and hopped on a ferry to Ischia (where they had a nice sea breeze).

Hank

I totally understand your ability to adapt your plans according to weather.  However--others have planned to see Pompeii or another site and would not be happy changing plans. 

Tapi - great to hear - we are cruising the med the first week of November!

Our friends who are cruising with us are ALSO going to the med in August on Celebrity.

When they asked if we wanted to join them - my wife and I looked at each other and said no way would we do the med in August (and on Celebrity LOL!). Once you cruise Seabourn - no going back for us at least!

• Like 1

Our first time in the Med was many many years ago - we got a too good to be true offer from Renaissance cruises for a five day cruise, a couple of days in Athens at the Intercontinental - airfare included - in August.  This was when Renaissance was building the new R class ships and trying to increase their passenger base. I doubt this offer did much for that. 

Turns out the ship we were on in no way resembled any Renaissance product ever - a very modest, old, crowded ship with tiny cabins - and average daily temperatures that averaged over 100 degrees. We were young then so we did the tours, came back to the ship exhausted and wet with sweat each day. And we fought to stay hydrated and not pass out from the heat. But we did see some of Greece and Turkey - our preteen son was delighted with seeing what he had just read about in Social Studies - though we arrived home with head lice - who really knows from where. 

Our take away was not to do the Med in the summer. 

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

I totally understand your ability to adapt your plans according to weather.  However--others have planned to see Pompeii or another site and would not be happy changing plans. 

And those folks would not be happy after walking around the open fields of Pompeii in a blazing sun and heat!   But, when Seabourn had the Ovation cruising in the Greek Islands in the summer heat of 2021 (during the awful heat wave and fires) they did not alter course!  The Celebrity Apex and one of the new Silverseas ships were also doing similar itineraries and did not alter their plans.

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

And those folks would not be happy after walking around the open fields of Pompeii in a blazing sun and heat!   But, when Seabourn had the Ovation cruising in the Greek Islands in the summer heat of 2021 (during the awful heat wave and fires) they did not alter course!  The Celebrity Apex and one of the new Silverseas ships were also doing similar itineraries and did not alter their plans.

Hank

I understand what you are saying.  But, my real point is of course about the future. If every summer is bringing these extremely  hot temperatures in this region, I would  think future plans would require some adjustments. 

53 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I understand what you are saying.  But, my real point is of course about the future. If every summer is bringing these extremely  hot temperatures in this region, I would  think future plans would require some adjustments. 

I guess anything is possible but my husband and I prefer warm weather cruising and have often travelled in July, August and September to the Med. In fact as much as we enjoyed Alaska and Antarctica for the scenery and wildlife we are one and done because we don't enjoy the cold.

Maybe that will change as we get older but we are in our mid 60s now and I feel the cold worse then when I was younger. 

The Med cruises in Summer also have a younger demographic which was interesting to experience. 

7 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I guess anything is possible but my husband and I prefer warm weather cruising and have often travelled in July, August and September to the Med. In fact as much as we enjoyed Alaska and Antarctica for the scenery and wildlife we are one and done because we don't enjoy the cold.

Maybe that will change as we get older but we are in our mid 60s now and I feel the cold worse then when I was younger. 

The Med cruises in Summer also have a younger demographic which was interesting to experience. 

We also prefer warm weather cruising but not hot weather cruising.  There is a difference.  

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I was on one of the Greek cruises a couple of weeks after yours.  Those were the first ones after the pandemic restrictions were eased. I doubt if there was any flexibility for changes. And I was more than happy to go wherever they took me.

5 minutes ago, marazul said:

I was on one of the Greek cruises a couple of weeks after yours.  Those were the first ones after the pandemic restrictions were eased. I doubt if there was any flexibility for changes. And I was more than happy to go wherever they took me.

LOL  so true. I think all of us were just so relieved to be traveling again :).   We had not really thought about the climate issues in regard to travel until SLSD brought up the subject.  Since we are retired and can vary our travel schedule it is just one more factor in our trip decisions.  But for folks who must travel in the summer, they do have fewer options if they want to experience the wonderful Med.  My gut tells me there is really no good solution, and the cruise lines will continue their Med cruises as long as folks book.   

I would expect the cruise industry to only be "reactive" rather than "proactive."  If folks are willing to come they will continue to serve.

Hank

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

LOL  so true. I think all of us were just so relieved to be traveling again :).   We had not really thought about the climate issues in regard to travel until SLSD brought up the subject.  Since we are retired and can vary our travel schedule it is just one more factor in our trip decisions.  But for folks who must travel in the summer, they do have fewer options if they want to experience the wonderful Med.  My gut tells me there is really no good solution, and the cruise lines will continue their Med cruises as long as folks book.   

I would expect the cruise industry to only be "reactive" rather than "proactive."  If folks are willing to come they will continue to serve.

Hank

Point well taken.  Some cannot choose when they sail.  

4 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I love the hot weather also in the Med.

I'll be on Encore in August.

Plenty of Air con on the ship if you need it and plenty of sun on deck.

Perfect.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Luxury said:

I love the hot weather also in the Med.

I'll be on Encore in August.

Plenty of Air con on the ship if you need it and plenty of sun on deck.

Perfect.

I think because we are from Texas,  we really hate hot weather and avoid it if at all possible.  Maybe we are in a minority?

1 minute ago, SLSD said:

I think because we are from Texas,  we really hate hot weather and avoid it if at all possible.  Maybe we are in a minority?

No,your just from Texas 😀

I can understand wanting different weather than you are used to.

3 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

No,your just from Texas 😀

I can understand wanting different weather than you are used to.

I'm sure we can weather really hot weather better than most people, but we certainly don't seek it out on a vacation.  You will NEVER find us reserving a chaise on the pool deck.  Not ever.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I'm sure we can weather really hot weather better than most people, but we certainly don't seek it out on a vacation.  You will NEVER find us reserving a chaise on the pool deck.  Not ever.  

Me neither,

It is the height of rudeness to reserve a chaise on deck 😀

• Like 1

It appears inevitable that booking the med west or east in Jul- Aug will become increasingly unpopular over the next decade as the high temperature trend because the norm. Apr - mid June and Sep - mid Nov will likely boom. Northern Europe, Alaska should become increasingly in demand through Jul - Aug. Maybe some ships will be deployed to SE Asia, Oceania and Sth America.

We’ve already stopped travelling to Europe any later than mid June, due to known risks of very high temps. We were there in Sep into Oct last year and the weather was great; as it was through June this year.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 7:11 PM, frantic36 said:

Well, the way things are headed, Alaska and Antarctica may be warm weather cruises within a few years! 🤣

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 11:03 PM, SLSD said:

I'll come sit next to you.  But not too close, so we don't get all sweaty.

<----Houston isn't as hot as Dallas, but it's WAY more humid.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SDuckers said:

I'll come sit next to you.  But not too close, so we don't get all sweaty.

<----Houston isn't as hot as Dallas, but it's WAY more humid.

I think we are in a close race for who is hotter--keeping humidity in mind.  Yes, would love to meet you--but don't get too close!  I ran about five errands this morning--all before noon.  There is no way I am going out this afternoon. 

One other comment.  I think some didn't understand my original post here.  I'm not talking about SB adjusting itineraries that are already set.  I'm talking about not cruising in certain areas in July and August!  I know--this is a radical thought--but something to think about.  After all, they don't cruise in Asia in the heat of summer.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I ran about five errands this morning--all before noon.  There is no way I am going out this afternoon.

this has been my daily routine for the past month +…there’s no end in sight. 5 more days until we fly to the Pacific Northwest! 😊

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1