Live from the NCL Star July 23-August 15, 2023. Will I survive 23 days without the beverage package?

YVRteacher

12 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I am feeling way better today. A good sleep, lots of water and fresh air helped.  Maybe that nose spray helped too. I’m not coughing at all, my head is fine and my face doesn’t hurt.  I am relieved that I will “pass” the boarding health questionnaire!

We spent three days in Reyjakvik after our August cruise las t year and we fell in love!  We are booked n 2025 to do tours we didn’t have time for on the first go round.   The folks at Nice Travel were awesome, in case anyone is planning on doing private tours.  I never expected Iceland to be as amazing as it is, but is unlike any place we’ve ever been before.  My dad was a geophysicist so I grew up appreciating all things geologic and thermal.  Fascinating place.   BTW, on our golden circle tour our guide took as to a place on the banks of a very warm water lake where a local restaurant baked its bread by burning it in the sand.  He bought us each a slice and it was the most wondrous bread I’d ever eaten.  Love reading your review.  So sorry to read of your fathers dementia.  Hopefully, it is a disease we will conquer some day soon.

• Like 4

Glad that you are onboard and that embarkation went well. Embarkation was a mess for us, but we are only silver latitudes and were staying in an oceanview cabin. Can’t wait to read the rest of your posts. This is so fun for me since we very recently got off the Star. Hope that your cold continues to improve. 

• Like 1

Day 1 part 2

My stateroom is an accessible obstructed oceanview on deck 8. It is old, gross and dingy with a stained, disgusting carpet. I put my flip flops beside the bed so I don’t step on the floor with my bare feet. There is a lot of storage in the form of open shelving. There are no plugs anywhere near the bed and only one outlet in the cabin. There are USB ports on either side of the bed but new phones use USC ports.

When they say obstructed view, they mean obstructed view. 

IMG_5924.thumb.jpeg.919e12c647ed8bbc4d8ab57f46673ff1.jpeg

This is the least cohesive ship in terms of decor. It is a complete mishmash of patterns and materials. It seems that NCL went to one of those carpet discount stores and said “we’ll take one of each” then installed the hideous discards on the Star. 
IMG_5948.thumb.jpeg.a11c750d421302aedb2d5f6378257d65.jpeg

We departed early.  The captain did a long (really long) announcement that was hard to understand and hear. He lectured about lining up nicely for all the tender ports, being on time because he wouldn’t wait and following procedures.  There is also a full page of tender rules in the stateroom.  I was in Versailles when we left the dock and there were big metallic clunks coming from the stern. Not sure if we lost any important ship parts or not. Time will tell! We had a tug for a couple of minutes then it pulled away and just followed us.

IMG_5947.thumb.jpeg.8657278f718ce2ebf08f2178a6e7cb1e.jpeg

Dinner in Versailles:

I sat and waited and waited and waited. A waitress who had ONE other table finally came. Then a crowd of about 20 people tried to sit at a table for 7, swarming my table like flies to potato salad left out in the sun. Wait, did I just insult myself?

There is no shortage of waiters but no one seems to know what they are doing. There is a lot of standing around and talking and it is evident leadership in this main dining room is completely lacking.  The food comes out quickly but there seems to be a lack of pride in what is coming out of the kitchen. So far I’ve been served rotten (as in decayed) food twice and I’ve been on the ship less than 8 hours.

When I was at the Cruise Next desk earlier today one of the other Cruise Next consultants (not Jefferson) said he was on the Spirit recently.  He said he loved that ship and mentioned how good the food was.  He said it was so good he gained 20 pounds. I told him I gained 10 pounds in two weeks.  I think I’ll lose all that being on the Star.

The musicians on this ship are phenomenal. Tropical Beat just ended in the Atrium. The Starbucks Baristas and the Beverage Manager were grooving to the rhythm of the drums. Being on this ship is like being at a musical festival! So far I’ve had the absolute pleasure of listening to:

Andrei

Justin

Three V Strings

Nikola

World Beat 

and am waiting for Paula who will be doing the Tom Jobim songbook. I don’t know who Tom Jobim is (or was.) 

Update two minutes later: Paula just came to chat with me. She said Tom Jobim was a Brazilian composer who wrote The Girl From Ipanema. Paula is from Chile and she boarded the Star today.  She had a long day of travel and arrived in Reykjavik yesterday. Now she is playing the piano and singing beautifully. I arrived in Iceland two days ago and have gotten lost trying to find my stateroom twice.

I’ve been in the Atrium a lot today since this is where the music is and the Starbucks has been busy all day. These baristas work hard and have smiles for everyone.  I think people are feeling Starbucks-deprived since there aren’t any venti caramel half sweet oat milk Frappuccinos with extra caramel swirls in Iceland.

Back to Paula! She is wonderful! Just taking a moment to give a shout out to all the sound technicians on board who are working so hard to set up the sound systems for each performer. The performers change every 45 minutes so the transitions are quick. It is evident how much they care that the musicians’ needs are met.

The ocean is calm but we are rocking back and forth. 

• Like 17

Tonight’s show in Stardust was Spencer Robson. I really enjoyed him, but the sound was overbearing. Not his fault at all! He was a lot of fun and put a huge amount of energy into his show.  It was a treat to see an entertainer I haven’t seen before.  The man next to me reached up and removed his hearing aids as soon as the show started.

I popped by the cabin for a moment then went to Guest Services to request a robe and a laundry bag. I asked if they had any of the nice fluffy Haven robes and the woman said because they don’t have a Haven they don’t have Haven robes.  This seems like an odd comment because Haven is listed on the elevator maps and I received multiple offers to bid on fancy suites. The Spirit doesn’t have a Haven but we still had Haven robes. No big deal!

I didn’t eat very much at lunch or dinner so headed to O’Sheehan’s for a late night snack that included nachos and carrot cake. The nachos had both football stadium nacho cheese sauce and real cheddar. I picked the jalapeños off because spicy! So far O’Sheehan’s has the best service and the best food.  

I ordered an apple cinnamon tea and the waiter put two teabags in the pot so I guess this means I had a double!

The fabulous waiter is Yohannes. He is from Indonesia and he doesn’t know why his parents gave him a German name. He said where he is from there are many people with Dutch or German names. He asked me where I am from and when I said Vancouver his face lit up. He said the first time he ever left Indonesia he landed in Vancouver. He was working for another cruise company and spent two months in Vancouver during the 2010 Olympics.  His ship housed the RCMP so Yohannes took care of them. He remembers every street he walked, each park, where he found wifi, what he ate (Subway!) and how cold it was. I have my first Vacation Hero of this cruise.  He made this little snack such a pleasant experience.

I am back in the Atrium for another set with Nikola. This guy is a superstar! He sang Adele, Ed Sheeran (in Italian and English) Julio Iglesias, the Police, Alicia Keys and so much more. His banter with the crowd made this set so fun. 

In one day I saw 7 musicians/groups.  7! They are all great.

It is 11:04pm and I can’t keep my eyes open.

Tomorrow we tender at Ísafjördur. There has been a lot of speculation and worry on both the Star roll calls and in the Northern Europe threads about missing Ísafjördur. The Prima keeps missing this port.  Will the Star prevail? Stay tuned!

• Like 15

Executive Housekeeper= 

Jose Fletes

Guest Services Manager=

Gary Alldredge

Beverage Manager= 

Alphanso Robinson

Restaurant Manager=

Garry Velez

Executive Chef=

Nelson Fernandes

Food and Beverage Director=

Esteban Chorro

General Manager=

Manny Kampanakis

Cruise Director=Beancka

Assistant Cruise Director=Alvin

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Happy fool said:

Glad that you are onboard and that embarkation went well. Embarkation was a mess for us, but we are only silver latitudes and were staying in an oceanview cabin. Can’t wait to read the rest of your posts. This is so fun for me since we very recently got off the Star. Hope that your cold continues to improve. 

I think the port people got their act together for this cruise! I did use the Latitudes line for check in but there was not a long line for anyone (at the time I arrived.) A man with a megaphone was calling for Latitudes to board first but people surged forward so I just stayed back and waited a couple of minutes.  The gangways were so steep! It actually felt unsafe.

• Like 2

@bluesea777 I will ask about Greenland. When I was researching/planning this trip it was initially with a strong desire to visit Greenland. By the time I booked this cruise (in May) Greenland had already been cancelled so there has to be another reason other than weather. There is speculation that Greenland’s environmental laws are impacting cruises but they actually aren’t yet in place. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 9:54 AM, YVRteacher said:

I won’t be buying any drinks! 

Hi!  I’m just finding this thread for your new adventure!  Can’t wait to read all about it. Curious about this part with these bucket list items

• -raise a glass of northerly whisky 
  • -chill out in an Ice Bar (this is ironic because I am not a chill kind of person)

😉

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

@bluesea777 I will ask about Greenland. When I was researching/planning this trip it was initially with a strong desire to visit Greenland. By the time I booked this cruise (in May) Greenland had already been cancelled so there has to be another reason other than weather. There is speculation that Greenland’s environmental laws are impacting cruises but they actually aren’t yet in place. 

Your cruise was supposed to visit a place on the east coast of Greenland but it was scrapped as the place was so small and they didn’t want large cruise ships going there due to environmental reasons. 

The main Iceland & Greenland cruise go to 3 ports on the west coast of Greenland including Nuuk, the capital. 

Yes,we are doing the Star in May to Tromsø Norway and wonderful spots north of the Arctic Circle. 🤗.  Not sure how many days we will go in advance but at least three.   We stayed at the Reykjavik Centrum because it was a block from bus stock #1, which is the first pick up for NiceTravels so we got good seats on the bus.  And it had an attached cafe and bar that was open until 10 or 11, which was important because our tours lasted til 8 or 8:30.  Very nice people and quite comfy.  Can’t wait!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KACTravels said:

Hi!  I’m just finding this thread for your new adventure!  Can’t wait to read all about it. Curious about this part with these bucket list items

• -raise a glass of northerly whisky 
  • -chill out in an Ice Bar (this is ironic because I am not a chill kind of person)

😉

I should clarify! I won’t be buying any drinks on board!

One of the small towns we visit has the world’s most northerly distillery and Tromsø has an Ice Bar.

• Like 3

Did we arrive in Ísafjördur?

We did! I know this because the announcements for tenders started before 7:00am and continued until 8:30am at which time tender group 13 was called. There was a lull in the tendering process then the announcements picked up with group 14 at 9:14am.

At 9:14am I was in a window seat in O’Sheehan’s thoroughly enjoying a bowl of hot oatmeal with exactly 10 raisins and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Both the oatmeal and the coffee were perfect.

IMG_5973.thumb.jpeg.1c838b269dfcc3a2a15f995e3aec6061.jpeg

The coating on the surface of the windows in O’Sheehan’s has failed so this is my view:

IMG_5972.thumb.jpeg.8069766d90e82a15e872e2c18b667a9b.jpeg

Yohannes said that we are lucky to be here today as last cruise the Star couldn’t make it to Ísafjordur because the waves were rough and it was foggy.

I fell asleep about midnight last night and woke up feeling refreshed after what felt like a long sleep. I put on my flip flops and trekked across the room to my phone. 

1:36am.

An 8 hour time difference is still toying with my sleep patterns but I do feel good today. I’m excited to go exploring.

The cabin was so quiet last night. No rattling, shaking or squeaking. The bed is comfortable and so are the pillows. 

• Like 13

1 minute ago, YVRteacher said:

Good morning, Mandy! I’m doing great. Happy to be here and excited to explore Ísafjördur.  Just about to put on my hiking boots and board a tender.

How are you doing?

I am doing well.  Still very hot in the Walla Walla Valley.  Lots of smoke from a wildfire about a 125 miles West of me.  Will be happy to see some rain.

15 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Executive Housekeeper= 

Jose Fletes

Guest Services Manager=

Gary Alldredge

Beverage Manager= 

Alphanso Robinson

Restaurant Manager=

Garry Velez

Executive Chef=

Nelson Fernandes

Food and Beverage Director=

Esteban Chorro

General Manager=

Manny Kampanakis

Cruise Director=Beancka

Assistant Cruise Director=Alvin

Thank You  I got it posted.  I am a little curious about your Assistant Cruise Director.  There are two Alvin's, one a CD and the other an Assistant.  I knew an Alvin as cruise staff 10 years ago on The Sun.  Wonder if he is the same one.

3 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I think it’s the same Alvin. I’ve cruised with him before as both CD and assistant CD.

How are you doing?

Finally getting something that you can eat and properly prepared and served?

• Like 1

IMG_6200.thumb.jpeg.2e01526a69f253ff94cfe9bff6002b32.jpeg

Ísafjördur means icy fjord and the tiny town of 2600 people is located at the end of Skutulsfjordur.  This fjord was first settled in the 9th century and became popular as a merchant trading post.  Ísafjördur officially became a town in 1786. Ísafjördur can be isolated from the rest of Iceland from September through April due to snow.

While planning this northern adventure, I gleefully noticed a kayaking excursion in Ísafjôrdur.  In Vancouver one could rent a kayak for a day for $50.  In Ketchikan NCL kayaking excursions have soared to $300 per person. What does it cost to go kayaking in Isafjordur for two hours through NCL? 

$677.

IMG_4083.thumb.png.a48a36c634556434613200c9c9893664.png

For $677 I expect a burly Viking to rub my feet until they are toasty warm and do most of the paddling while I sit back and take photos of mountain sheep and arctic foxes deftly leaping about on shore.  In between foot rubs the Viking could feed me Icelandic chocolate encrusted in gold flakes.

Assuming approximately 60 minutes on the water, the cost is $10 per minute.  

To exercise.  

Instead of kayaking, I explored and did a Choose My Own Adventure which included the fishing harbour,

IMG_6194.thumb.jpeg.e3d0fe803085841fa9183e29eaf12feb.jpeg

one of the best bakeries ever, the library and museum, two schools, one graveyard which is larger than the two schools combined, the sea walk, all the streets, the city centre, the candle shop,

IMG_6165.thumb.jpeg.53f50efca6de97d33d2223d84e72581a.jpeg

the handknitting store, the liquor store, the ice store, the bouncy thing and all the flowers.  Did I see sheep?  Yes, but from the Star once I was back on board. If you are on a cruise that tenders in Ísafjördur look at the large hill. There are rocks that don’t move and rocks that sometimes move. The moving rocks are the sheep.

One of the guidebooks I read said to avoid boiling mud baths here.  I wore my hiking boots and found a mud puddle to step in to make it worth packing them in my small suitcase. Sadly, I did not encounter a boiling mud bath. Maybe next cruise. One can always hope!

When I was researching what to do here, I read that “an exciting place to visit is the Culture House.” It used to be the hospital, now it’s a library and museum.  I will always say yes to a library!
IMG_6199.thumb.jpeg.b360a8ef3541939169c62ef2baf87fb5.jpeg

The Culture House opened at noon today so I had a couple of hours to meander and take photos. Look at those Enid Blyton books in Icelandic! Who else read Noddy growing up?

What caught my eye?

Wooden homes

IMG_6196.thumb.jpeg.af7281cd3ad9d3305cd2f5a27dacafdd.jpeg

New plants against old walls and fences

IMG_6197.thumb.jpeg.aa2b1b67c76220c34011445656f78385.jpeg

Bicycles left unlocked on sidewalks and driveways while garbage cans were chained and locked.

IMG_6182.thumb.jpeg.60085e09b938bddcc2e6033c4c20fcaf.jpeg

Shoes left outside on doorsteps 

Collections in windows 

IMG_6198.thumb.jpeg.8b79e2b8b522c0954f2dfad0e97cc936.jpeg

A cat watching a cruise ship

IMG_6132.thumb.jpeg.0db3c0bce5c9d1f65c852f575ab0f31e.jpeg

Rocks stacked on rocks

IMG_6180.thumb.jpeg.42579f5c2f46bf101eb6d541ccc6185a.jpeg

In lieu of a park Ísafjördur has this big bouncy thing. 

IMG_6087.thumb.jpeg.7cfe397e79c005ee0f4bfe62a19df8a7.jpeg

It got busier throughout the day as teenagers joined the young ones and tourists joined locals, some tentative, others flinging themselves about with abandon.

There is a tour center that offers about 6 options but they had signs on the tours stating “not today.” There are whale watching companies and this seems to be the main excursion. 

Many people meandered up this misty mountain. 

IMG_6008.thumb.jpeg.ea610692a7f1939e993bff0c1e40d611.jpeg

Others did what I did and walked every street.

IMG_6045.thumb.jpeg.e4728525caa11a995d244251d52029c3.jpeg

I saw several cruise ship passengers go into private yards and gardens and that must be frustrating for the owners.

I absolutely loved this day in Ísafjördur despite the lack of boiling mud baths. My hope is to chat with people on board to hear what they did today and which excursions are recommended. Even if I don’t book an excursion for this port on the second leg of this cruise I am still heading into town for the bakery!

IMG_6181.thumb.jpeg.10d936278be957f1b71a9ba53f938fea.jpeg

Note that there are a lot of flies here.  These are not little midges but are flies of a significant size.  I spent the day swatting them away. The NCL tender boat operators are wearing face and head coverings so only their eyes are exposed.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

How are you doing?

Finally getting something that you can eat and properly prepared and served?

I’m doing great! Loved our first port today. Breakfast at O’Sheehan’s and lunch at the Garden Cafe were both good.  Right now I’m in the Atrium enjoying (loving!) Tropical Beat.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, www3traveler said:

I am doing well.  Still very hot in the Walla Walla Valley.  Lots of smoke from a wildfire about a 125 miles West of me.  Will be happy to see some rain.

My dad just emailed to say it’s raining in Vancouver today. I hope the rain heads south to extinguish those wildfires and wash the smoke away. Stay safe!

• Like 3