Beer, Wine cost, packages, etc.

TomTN

We've sailed on HAL about 12 times, but not since 2019.

We are considering a 7 day Alaska cruise next year. Our friends that might travel with us have some questions which I can't answer mostly because I can't remember.

So:

What is the daily tip per person in a balcony cabin or suite? 

What is the average cost of beer, wine and alc packages? Does HAL typically stock a non alc beer, i.e. Heineken?

What has improved significantly since 2020?  What has deteriorated significantly?  

Gratuities are $16pppd balcony & under, and $17.50pppd suites. Prepurchased, the Signature Beverage Package is $55pppd, Elite is $60. Currently if you have SBP and order a drink over $11, you pay the difference +18%. Right now HIA is listing at $50pppd and includes SBP. As well as specialty dinner(s), shore excursion(s), and Surf wifi. 

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

We've sailed on HAL about 12 times, but not since 2019.

We are considering a 7 day Alaska cruise next year. Our friends that might travel with us have some questions which I can't answer mostly because I can't remember.

So:

What is the daily tip per person in a balcony cabin or suite? 

What is the average cost of beer, wine and alc packages? Does HAL typically stock a non alc beer, i.e. Heineken?

What has improved significantly since 2020?  What has deteriorated significantly?  

Just a couple more things to add (Crystalspin covered most)

The only non-alc beer is Heineken 0.0

Since you are looking at 2024 Alaska - the cruises (at least some) are still offering "Early booking" HIA (which includes extras of "Elite" beverage package, upgraded wifi and crew gratuities,  along with the other standard HIA perks of speciality dinning and excursion credit) It is generally a good deal if you are looking at purchasing a drinks package, so worthwhile pricing out those options.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Prepurchased, the Signature Beverage Package is $55pppd, Elite is $60. Currently if you have SBP and order a drink over $11, you pay the difference +18%. Right now HIA is listing at $50pppd and includes SBP. As well as specialty dinner(s), shore excursion(s), and Surf wifi. 

Had another thought. I believe you pay 18% added to the pre-purchased beverage packages, but not HIA! making it even more a bargain. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

What if you have standard HIA but really want the Elite BP for the unlimited non-alcoholic drinks and higher dollar wines? it has been reported that if you find a bartender (not server) BEFORE you have used the SBP of the HIA, you can upgrade it. The price is probably $10pppd and all adults in the room must do it. And that's 11.80pppd including the service charge.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crystalspin said:

...What if you have standard HIA but really want the Elite BP for the unlimited non-alcoholic drinks and higher dollar wines? it has been reported that if you find a bartender (not server) BEFORE you have used the SBP of the HIA, you can upgrade it. The price is probably $10pppd and all adults in the room must do it. And that's 11.80pppd including the service charge.

Quite interested in feedback on this - intrigued and would try if there's positive reports.