Empires of Mediterranean late Oct

Jjg34219

We are currently booked for next July/August Athens to Venice

Looks like we could still book same but Venice to Athens late Oct/Nov this year

Just actually got the thought to look what might be available this late date, and considering the temps will be much cooler and crowds way less, that we should definitely consider doing the change. We live in Florida so used to the heat, but seems like the summers are hoteer by the year

Thoughts?

Edited by Jjg34219
Forgot dates

We are booked for mid October this year, 2023. My brother cruised Athens to Venice on another line last July, and temperatures were around 100 degrees in many places. We also live in Florida, but he was miserable. The heat was stagnant and he said there was no shade or breeze around the many ruins. My sister teaches in Italy, and she said she won’t work in the summer due to the heat. 

1 hour ago, Jjg34219 said:

We are currently booked for next July/August Athens to Venice

Looks like we could still book same but Venice to Athens late Oct/Nov this year

Just actually got the thought to look what might be available this late date, and considering the temps will be much cooler and crowds way less, that we should definitely consider doing the change. We live in Florida so used to the heat, but seems like the summers are hoteer by the year

Thoughts?

We have been to both Greece and Venice in May, June and July over the years.  The crowds are much worse these days, possibly because everyone is really ready to travel.  It's almost impossible to see anything even on organized tours.  Just one example, last month at the Acropolis it was just a very, very slow moving line and the heat was intolerable.  That was in the morning and many people were breaking the line and going back down.  

Our excursion to Murano/Burano made an unscheduled stop at St. Mark's and it was almost comical the number of boats that were trying to park and the line ups of people waiting to board.  

At Santorini we didn't bother getting off because we have travelled there on our own several times.  We sat on the deck at the back of The Restaurant and we couldn't even see the end of the line trying to get back down by cable car.  

I would definitely go in October because of the crowds and heat.

• Like 1

We did this cruise in early May and for the same reasons you are looking at October.

Crowds are less and the temperatures will be more agreeable. 

We actually tend to travel "shoulder season" as we prefer to put on a sweater than roast....

Good date choice.

I would never go to Eastern Med in the height of summer. Too hot and too many people.

Late October is perfect.

In fact, I book a Feb Greek Odyssey cruise.  The off season is fine with me, easy to get into the sites, and less ships in the ports. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

We did two cruises in the Eastern Mediterranean in late winter and early spring. While we encountered rain on some days, the temperatures were perfect for excursions (50s - 60s). The guide mentioned how lucky we were on the sunny and cool day on top of the Acropolis, noting that in the summer people don’t last more than a few minutes, or even worse, it is closed.

• Like 1

Off season travel is our preference.

You just need to be a bit flexible re weather (layers) and if truly 'off season'- for some venues/restaurants to be closed.  But the scenery is always available for viewing!