Tourist Offices

exiledowl

As a prelude to our world cruise starting in December I've been contacting many city and state tourist offices for specific information, about 12 so far,and have received a reply from 1 of them. 

I would have thought that if tourists are so important to some of our ports of call there would be some enthusiasm in response to enquiries. 

Back in a bygone era when I first started going abroad ( Inter Rail at that time) a letter to a tourist office would result in the return of a thick brown envelope full of literature plopping onto the doormat.

Nowadays not even a returned email. 

Are there any other frustrated pre-cruisers out there?

37 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

Go to websites to see any info you need. There’s a ton of info available online. WhatsInPort is one resource. CruiseCritic port boards. TripAdvisor. TheInsideCabin…. So many to choose from

I've looked at the 1st 3 but the 4th is a new one on me .Thanks for the info!

7 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I use our local library, requesting books and short films on each port.

Thanks Heidi13. I actually try to watch a lot of films of our destinations on you tube, so good ,some poor, and I've  enough guide books to sink the cruise ship.

But sometimes I need little snippets of info that can only be provided locally, which was the reason for my original post, and expression of disappointment for the lack of response.

However thanks once again for your reply.

1 hour ago, exiledowl said:

Thanks Heidi13. I actually try to watch a lot of films of our destinations on you tube, so good ,some poor, and I've  enough guide books to sink the cruise ship.

But sometimes I need little snippets of info that can only be provided locally, which was the reason for my original post, and expression of disappointment for the lack of response.

However thanks once again for your reply.

Another one I use is entering the port name followed by "tourist attractions", this often provides a number of travel blogs, which I find are an excellent resource.

Thank you those who alerted me to "The Inside Cabin " .

Full of tips, warnings but most of all some great photos of some of the places we will be ( weather permitting)visiting on our cruise. 

On 7/31/2023 at 1:47 PM, exiledowl said:

Thank you those who alerted me to "The Inside Cabin " .

Full of tips, warnings but most of all some great photos of some of the places we will be ( weather permitting)visiting on our cruise. 

One of my best research methods is YouTube -  Search You Tube for "Name of CIty" following by oport visit - port review - blog etc etc......you can often find many tips on interesting restaurants and activities this way....

8 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

One of my best research methods is YouTube -  Search You Tube for "Name of CIty" following by oport visit - port review - blog etc etc......you can often find many tips on interesting restaurants and activities this way....

Thanks for the tips. I've been using you tube a fair bit and finding it good on the popular destinations but less so on the more obscure ones we will be visiting. 

For those the articles and blogs by your namesake I've found more informative but I'll try again with you tube and see if they have anything new!

Thanks again.