Hong Kong with Viking

millybess

1 hour ago, Haqdeluxe said:

Not to shanghai this thread and yes, I see what I did there... 😁

Can anyone who flew to Hong Kong from the US east coast for this year's sailing, using Viking Air arranged flights, provide what your flight itinerary was? What airline was used?

We go next April and are curious what path we (Viking) might take flying out of Dulles (IAD).

Ta

This hijacking is a long shot. You might do better if you start a new thread.

A few comments/suggestions: the Mid-levels escalator will take you to Hollywood Road--a good place to browse for antiques

- The most scenic, and inexpensive, way to travel to Stanley from Central is via bus; routes 6, 6A, 6X, and 260 give you an air-conditioned ride; sit on the upper deck of you can; the bus terminates in Stanley so there's no worry about where to get off; be aware that many of the goods in Stanley Market are knock-offs

- For those 65 and older, the Elder Octopus Card provides discounts on public transportation

- If tea at the Peninsula is not possible, Afternoon Tea at the Mandarin Hotel is a great option

- Best recommendation for dim sum is the restaurant at City Hall

- Speaking of City Hall (Central) be aware that Sunday is the day of the week that Filipina and Indonesian domestic helpers have off, and they will occupy every open space from Central to Causeway Bay, socializing, sharing take-away, listening to music etc

- Enjoy, and remember, in Hong Kong, you are never alone. There's always a crowd,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2023 at 5:14 PM, shipboy said:

Sai Kung in the New Territories is a lovely little fishing village, with plenty of restaurants and bars. It’s well worth a visit, although I may be biased as I lived there for four years

I don’t think I’ve been to Sai Kung, but I do second the suggestion to get to one of the island fishing villages in the New Territories.  I spent a fair bit of time in Hong Kong when I lived in Asia years ago, and the little islands were my favorite part. A fascinating slice of life. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2023 at 6:20 AM, JollyJacqTar said:

@millybess I’ve got some stuff written down about our visit (About 2 typed A4 sheets so not too lengthy) which I would be happy to send you if you’re interested. We went up the Hong Kong escalator which I notice no one else has mentioned and I was suddenly reminded of my scribbles at the time. Do email me if you’d like to see it.

Thanks so much.  I would like to see it, but I am reluctant to post my email🙂  If you are willing to scan and post it, that would be helpful.  Thanks for offering it to me.

17 hours ago, anaco_angler said:

A few comments/suggestions: the Mid-levels escalator will take you to Hollywood Road--a good place to browse for antiques

- The most scenic, and inexpensive, way to travel to Stanley from Central is via bus; routes 6, 6A, 6X, and 260 give you an air-conditioned ride; sit on the upper deck of you can; the bus terminates in Stanley so there's no worry about where to get off; be aware that many of the goods in Stanley Market are knock-offs

- For those 65 and older, the Elder Octopus Card provides discounts on public transportation

- If tea at the Peninsula is not possible, Afternoon Tea at the Mandarin Hotel is a great option

- Best recommendation for dim sum is the restaurant at City Hall

- Speaking of City Hall (Central) be aware that Sunday is the day of the week that Filipina and Indonesian domestic helpers have off, and they will occupy every open space from Central to Causeway Bay, socializing, sharing take-away, listening to music etc

- Enjoy, and remember, in Hong Kong, you are never alone. There's always a crowd,

I've copied this to my notes.  It's very helpful.  Thanks.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 9:37 AM, Jim Avery said:

The biggest "problem" for us in HK was that we were docked at the "new" cruise terminal located at the former Kai Tak airport.  A long way away from anywhere.  Hope yall get to dock at the cruise terminal much nearer in.  

That's interesting.  I took a look at our documents and the port is not stated.  I will have to do more research.  Thanks for the heads up.

4 minutes ago, millybess said:

That's interesting.  I took a look at our documents and the port is not stated.  I will have to do more research.  Thanks for the heads up.

Here are links to the cruise ship schedules at Ocean Terminal & Kai Tak. Looks like Orion is using Ocean Terminal, which is the better option.

https://www.kaitakcruiseterminal.com.hk/schedule/

http://www.oceanterminal.com.hk/en/schedule.php?f=t

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

Here are links to the cruise ship schedules at Ocean Terminal & Kai Tak. Looks like Orion is using Ocean Terminal, which is the better option.

Thanks so much.  I always have trouble finding reliable and accurate port information.  

2 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Have to agree with this, Ocean Terminal is a great port. It’s within a large mall and only a short walk to the Star Ferry and the Clock Tower

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, millybess said:

Thanks so much.  I would like to see it, but I am reluctant to post my email🙂  If you are willing to scan and post it, that would be helpful.  Thanks for offering it to me.

Sorry I didn’t really think it through, I too, would not want to put my email on a public forum. Being an infrequent user of Cruise Critic I didn’t realise there wasn’t a direct message option. Honestly it was just a few amusing (well I thought so 😀) anecdotes I wrote shortly after we got back and of no practical use at all. We wandered about a bit at the top of the escalator, and ended up in the botanical gardens where they had a small zoo, it was 2015 it may not even be there any more. I agree with all the suggestions made thus far, and again enjoy every moment, I am very envious x

3 minutes ago, JollyJacqTar said:

Sorry I didn’t really think it through, I too, would not want to put my email on a public forum. Being an infrequent user of Cruise Critic I didn’t realise there wasn’t a direct message option. Honestly it was just a few amusing (well I thought so 😀) anecdotes I wrote shortly after we got back and of no practical use at all. We wandered about a bit at the top of the escalator, and ended up in the botanical gardens where they had a small zoo, it was 2015 it may not even be there any more. I agree with all the suggestions made thus far, and again enjoy every moment, I am very envious x

@JollyJacqTar yes, a private message option on CC would be useful.  Thank you for thinking to share your notes with me.  With help from people like you, we are getting very excited about this trip.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Haqdeluxe said:

Not to shanghai this thread and yes, I see what I did there... 😁

Can anyone who flew to Hong Kong from the US east coast for this year's sailing, using Viking Air arranged flights, provide what your flight itinerary was? What airline was used?

We go next April and are curious what path we (Viking) might take flying out of Dulles (IAD).

Ta

I’m curious about what Viking will come up with for your trip. Are you doing the pre extension?  

We booked our own flights some time ago, but I would be interested in your flights; also whether they book you going east or west. When you find out more, I hope you will post here or on our roll call if it gets rolling. 

2 hours ago, JollyJacqTar said:

, I too, would not want to put my email on a public forum.

Agreed but there are ways around it.

Very few of the people I communicate with get my "personal" e-mail address. I have a Yahoo! account for communicating with everybody else -- and my Yahoo! account allows me to create up to 500 disposable address, just like the one in my Cruise Critic signature. The best thing about disposable address is that if they get spammy, I can just delete them. My personal e-mail remains private.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Agreed but there are ways around it.

Very few of the people I communicate with get my "personal" e-mail address. I have a Yahoo! account for communicating with everybody else -- and my Yahoo! account allows me to create up to 500 disposable address, just like the one in my Cruise Critic signature. The best thing about disposable address is that if they get spammy, I can just delete them. My personal e-mail remains private.

@Peregrina651, I have a question to send you about the QV Bluetooth system, but I don’t know how to see your e-mail address. Is the “signature” not visible on mobile devices? Is it only visible on a laptop or desk top? I primarily use an iPad, & secondarily my iPhone. I know there are differences in the website when accessing via mobile. Thanks.

P.S. I can fire up my laptop but seldom use it.

Edited by LindaS272

8 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Is the “signature” not visible on mobile devices?

I don't think so. Or, at least not phones. Plus Apple and Android seem to be different worlds of functionality.

this is faster: peregrina651- cc7 @ yahoo.com (remove all 3 spaces but keep the hyphen)

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Thanks 1

I will be arriving early in Hong Kong, before my cruise departs. I'm travelling solo for the first time. Wondering if anyone can give my their opinion on safety. A single woman OK on her own at the sights that have been recommended?

1 hour ago, calvin81 said:

I will be arriving early in Hong Kong, before my cruise departs. I'm travelling solo for the first time. Wondering if anyone can give my their opinion on safety. A single woman OK on her own at the sights that have been recommended?

HK is very safe, especially for the tourist areas recommended above. You shouldn’t have any issues, but do take the normal precautions for pickpockets etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, calvin81 said:

Thank you! I'm also wondering about other stops on this cruise - Bangkok, Vietnam, Cambodia? I prefer to not go on ship excursions, but that may change on this trip. Roll call activity is very slow. 

Great topic for a new thread. You'll get more answers. 

The Shangrila hotel is in a great location. Ask for room looking at the harbor on a high floor. At night, the lights show is great. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency across the street.  It is very convenient with Lots of shops and places to eat nearby.  Spring Deer was hole in the wall that had amazing food.  We ate there twice. Make reservations. Bus terminal is a block away. Several train lines cross under the Hyatt.  We were in Hong Kong a total of 7 days including 2 from the cruise.  Buy a transportation card and get a map. You can use public transportation to go everywhere. It’s very cheap. At the end you can cash in the card or keep as a souvenir.  Have fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The train system was great years ago; I assume it still is. Only downside is not seeing the area when you’re underground. 

I would definitely try to get out on the water and tootle around. Great views. There are multiple ferries.