Arvia or Britannia

LloydHapag

Hi all. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Caribbean cruise. After 18 cruises, amazingly we've never been there. P&O have Arvia and Britannia doing pretty much identical cruises from Barbardos. It's a lovely itinerary but we haven't sailed with P&O for 12 years and I'm seeing a few mixed reviews about the new ships.

If anyone has sailed on both ships, which would you recommend? Thanks.

I am sure you will get opposing views so best to read and view what each ship has to offer.

Having cruised on Iona and in September on Arvia, I would choose the new girls every time. Not going to list why but let's say newer and better IMO.

• Like 2

Having done and enjoyed both (in school holidays), with their many pros and a few cons, if it were me it would be down to the details of the itinerary and cost etc. It’s all subjective but for me:

I find Britannia more of a “traditional” cruise experience than Arvia, with a less mass market vibe to it and slightly more elevated as an overall experience. For us, it is less “in your face” with kids which we prefer, whereas Arvia seems more overrun with kids and families with far less enjoyable pool facilities for those of us who don’t want to be surrounded by kids etc because of that.

Arvia does come across as more of a cattle market and a bit more chaotic (not least the main dining) - but it is still a lovely ship and has many gorgeous areas to take yourself on sea days etc: and once you get used to personally knowing which areas to avoid you focus on the many lovely areas that are left.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

I am sure you will get opposing views so best to read and view what each ship has to offer.

Having cruised on Iona and in September on Arvia, I would choose the new girls every time. Not going to list why but let's say newer and better IMO.

Me too....

Sailed on Arvia in April and just back from Britannia.

My vote is definitely for Arvia. So much more choice from dining to entertain.

Lovely new ship too, whereas Britannia is just beginning to show her age a little.

• Like 1

We have done the Iona and Britannia and would choose the Iona every time.

I really like the smaller ships (although I know they used to be mega ships, how things change!) and Ventura is my favourite, but I really didn’t like the Britannia for layout and outside space. I would go for the Arvia/Iona in the Caribbean due to the nice outside space the have, and the expanded choice of dining.

• Like 2

Hi,we were on iona to the fjords last year and britannia this year to the med.I definitely perfered iona as a ship as it was a much better layout and much more natural light due to the huge glass windows. Britannia seemed very dark and pokey in comparison although I did prefer the balcony cabins as they had a larger dressing area.Top tip..if you can stretch to it buy the retreat package as it gives you a better relaxing area.