Ruby Princess Alaska cruise- what to wear evenings?

prkr11701

I have never been on an Alaska cruise and it has been about 25 years since we have sailed Princess.  My son and family are sailing from San Francisco on Ruby Princess in September. He asked me about dressing for the evening. I know on the cruises that I haven taken in recent years that tuxedos for men  have all but disappeared and most don’t even pack suits or sport coats for the formal nights. That maybe due to warmer locations in Caribbean or Bermuda.  
It’s a 10 day cruise so I would expect 2 dressier nights,  but what would the majority of men wear on these evenings? I know a nice pair of pants and collared shirt for most smart casual nights  but I don’t want to give him the wrong advice. 

Thank you. 

19 minutes ago, prkr11701 said:

I have never been on an Alaska cruise and it has been about 25 years since we have sailed Princess.  My son and family are sailing from San Francisco on Ruby Princess in September. He asked me about dressing for the evening. I know on the cruises that I haven taken in recent years that tuxedos for men  have all but disappeared and most don’t even pack suits or sport coats for the formal nights. That maybe due to warmer locations in Caribbean or Bermuda.  
It’s a 10 day cruise so I would expect 2 dressier nights,  but what would the majority of men wear on these evenings? I know a nice pair of pants and collared shirt for most smart casual nights  but I don’t want to give him the wrong advice. 

Thank you. 

Alaska cruises are more similar to Caribbean cruises than to European and Asia itineraries as far as dress goes. Last summer I saw only a few tuxedos and a handful of men in dark suits. Your son will certainly not feel out of place in a sport coat, but if he skips it he will not stand out like a sore thumb.

Basically whatever they are comfortable with.  Can be anything from Business or country club casual to Formal wear or anything in between.  Sport coats and suites are still common but so is a dress shirt and slacks.

17 hours ago, prkr11701 said:

That would work for a even for a formal night. He'll probably see many others dress similarly and others even less dressy. Princess leaves it up to your discretion to what is appropriate.  

• 2 weeks later...

We just disembarked Ruby on Saturday.  People were generally wore casual clothes at night.  Most people were not wearing suits or fancy dresses on the "formal" nights (though I wore a suit both formal nights).  Men were wearing dress shirts and slacks (but generally not ties) and women were wearing dresses or skirts and blouses.  As others have stated, please no shorts and flip flops!!

Frederick