Panama Canal and excursions

bapaleg

On 6/27/2023 at 5:54 AM, zelker said:

We've only sailed once on Viking (Panama Canal) and were by the front elevators which was a smooth ride.  Curious how much vibration and/or movement you felt in 4106 - if any - as we may end up in that rear area (but on Deck 5) later this year.  Thx.

Can you tell me about Panama Canal and excursions. We are doing it later this year. Thx

1 hour ago, bapaleg said:

Can you tell me about Panama Canal and excursions. We are doing it later this year. Thx

What would you like to know? We been through the Canal I think 6 times now (only once on Viking).

And as far as excursions, you can get a good idea of what they offer by looking on Viking's website.

1 hour ago, bapaleg said:

Are any of the optional ones worth taking instead of the included ones

This really isn't the right place to discuss specific cruises or tours but I'll answer this question and then suggest you either post a new thread or look at the port info on CC.

So we only did one optional tour - went to Columbia's National Aviary in Cartagena.  Not the worst excursion we've ever done but certainly not the best.  It was about an hour bus ride to/from the port which was mostly boring views and traffic, especially on the way back. We've been to Cartagena before so wanted to do something different but when we got back to the port, we walked around their animal/bird enclosure area for an hour and enjoyed it (for free!) almost as much and you can get up close and personal with everything there. 

In Puntarenas, we did a private tour with our favorite guide.

• Like 1

@bapaleg and @zelker

Your conversation has been split out from the thread where it was off topic. It is now a new thread on the Ports of Call - Panama Canal forum where it will be on topic.

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you both aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Thanks 1

Afraid we will not be of much help here without knowing what your included tour is, and what the options are.  Tours at the Panama Canal are pretty standard across cruise lines.  And we are also limited without knowing if you are doing a partial or full transit.  EM