Princess Cruises Excursion: Stirling and Falkirk Wheel

Mr Grumpy

Date of tour: July 26, 2023

Stirling: We spent three hours walking medieval Stirling on our own and didn’t visit the castle but while Sterling is an interesting medieval city, be forewarned: it can be a strenuous and potentially dangerous walk for those who aren’t strong and nimble on their feet. Be prepared for lots of cobblestone, steep inclines and slippery stairs without handrails.

Falkirk Wheel: After reading many glowing reviews of excursions from Greenock that included the Falkirk Wheel "experience" I felt I needed to highlight some important details that reviewers seemed to have left out of their reviews. The Falkirk Wheel is indeed an engineering marvel but it is best appreciated from ground level NOT taking the ride up the rotating lift and down the canal as the promotional literature would have you believe. Being on the boat was a VERY unpleasant experience for my family and I because of the strong fumes and deafening noise from the diesel engine which lasts the entire “voyage”. We were literally holding our breath as much as we could to avoid inhaling the noxious fumes. We noticed that the guide leaves the boat before the engine starts because once the engine starts he won’t be heard over the din. And, unless you’re lucky enough to snag a window seat, you won’t see any of the gorgeous views (see my photo) because of all the heads in the way. We were rushed from the coach to the boat and had only minutes after the ride to appreciate the wheel from ground level and visit the visitor centre before having to board the coach back to the ship. The excursion should have allowed more time at the site after the ride. So, there you have it… basically, you are sitting in a crowded, noisy, smelly bus with about 100 other people most of whom are straining to see the view between all the heads. Very disappointing. Not recommended at all. 

IMG_7247.jpg

I enjoyed the wheel experience however there was a lot of wasted time before our turn to go on the wheel. They did a quick detour to the Kelpies which I think are worth seeing  but we had so little time at Stirling  Castle it was ridiculous. I had pre booked our tickets so we went straight in but did not see it all.

In all if you can get a private tour book it I wish we had.

We did this tour in May and enjoyed it. We walked up the hill to the castle. it was a strenuous walk uphill, but we took our time and did fine. Would not suggest it if you have mobility problems. We are over 65.
Our coach had a max of 45 people ..it was a clean comfortable coach.we had two hours in Sterling to either go into town or view the castle.   The castle was well worth it for us. Some day it would be nice to return to spend more time.

Then, our trip over to the Falkirk wheel was fun. We did not have to wait very long to board, and the ride up and down was a little noisy, but not deafening.There were fumes for a few minutes, but cleared quickly once we were up.  Our tour guide mentioned that she did not always take the ride but there was space on our boat so she did remain with our group on board. After the ride We had enough time to view the next boat going up and go through the gift shop before boarding the bus to return to the ship. 

I would love to take this tour again, but also stop to see the Kelpies, which was not part of our tour. 

IMG_9771.jpeg

IMG_9753.jpeg

IMG_9740.jpeg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mr Grumpy said:

Malleykatt:

Did you have diesel fumes and very loud engine noise on your  Wheel experience? I'm wondering if the boat had problems the day I was on it 

Hi. No fumes might have been 2nd boat of the day. We had a wait of 1 hour till our time.

Ours was last August and it was a damp start.

31 minutes ago, Mr Grumpy said:

Malleykatt:

Did you have diesel fumes and very loud engine noise on your  Wheel experience? I'm wondering if the boat had problems the day I was on it 

My Parents were on this recently. No smells on the boat at all, so I think it must have been the boat you were on with the issue. I’m really disappointed for you that you had that experience. My Parents would have hated it if they had the same problem on their trip too.

For another time, if you or anyone else is in the area I recommend going to the Kelpies & to do one of their 30 min tour discussing how they were designed, constructed and put together. Very interesting and the Kelpies themselves are imo beautiful.

IMG_1516.thumb.jpeg.23b2027db098b14abfbdd39248b212e8.jpegIMG_1504.thumb.jpeg.a14f4dbd35026da7c7f7cd9afa290ff3.jpegIMG_1517.thumb.jpeg.ca76e085c40e8fa78a67acfdcd8a47b5.jpegI was there last week as one of our stop over points, during a verrry long drive from the Scottish Highlands to England near Gatwick airport

Anyway, silly side note: I waved at you guys from Nairn beach as your were coming through the Suitors in front of me, shortly after you left Invergorden. (the suitors are the 2 hills either side of you as you moved into the Moray Firth). I hope you all had a wonderful cruise & enjoyed the highlands too 😃 

• Like 1