World Cruise Travel Insurance

addo

We got affordable insurance for the WC this year. However, my husband is now 76 and this is creating problems getting cover for 108 nights next year. So far the main comparison sites will not quote and I am working my way through the BIBA list.

I can see that we may have to rethink our plans.  How do others manage to insure for such trips please.

One thing we have done is accept some risk.  We’re in the US so what we do may or may not be applicable to your situation.

Our health insurance covers us internationally and we buy a separate evacuation insurance called GeoBlue, I think plans like Medijet ( right name?) are the same.  Where we take a risk is not looking to cover 100% of the trips cost.  For example we’re currently on a 35 day cruise and we only have 80% coverage.  It saved a lot of money but we would only get 80% back if we cancelled and there is no trip interruption coverage.  

Its a big decision but we felt it was right for us. The medical coverage is more important to us. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, addo said:

We got affordable insurance for the WC this year. However, my husband is now 76 and this is creating problems getting cover for 108 nights next year. So far the main comparison sites will not quote and I am working my way through the BIBA list.

I can see that we may have to rethink our plans.  How do others manage to insure for such trips please.

Look at something like the packaged account with Nationwide or Virgin, as they include travel insurance, that you can customise the cover to take into account length of trip , age and pre existing medical coverage, from experience Nationwide allow you to check prices etc on line, I believe virgin requires a phone call.  Saying that I suspect that your husbands age and duration of the trip will not help you in getting affordable cover

We have had a quote for the Nationwide account add ons which is very acceptable. So we have opened an account/. Thank you very much, I wish we had done this for our last WC.

11 hours ago, addo said:

We have had a quote for the Nationwide account add ons which is very acceptable. So we have opened an account/. Thank you very much, I wish we had done this for our last WC.

Glad it worked out for you

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SilverHengroen
On 8/3/2023 at 7:39 PM, Poole Boy said:

Look at something like the packaged account with Nationwide or Virgin, as they include travel insurance, that you can customise the cover to take into account length of trip , age and pre existing medical coverage, from experience Nationwide allow you to check prices etc on line, I believe virgin requires a phone call.  Saying that I suspect that your husbands age and duration of the trip will not help you in getting affordable cover

Cruises quite often fall outside of general travel cover, so you'd really need to check this thoroughly if going down that route. I don't think either of those examples you mention include it as standard, for e.g. and there's usually lots of little asterisks and exceptions around age and pre existing conditions.