Luggage Forward—Again

LoveBora

We will be using Luggage Forward for the first time to ship two bags to another country for an upcoming cruise. The luggage tags have just arrived and the instructions say to leave the luggage unlocked for customs inspection. For those of you who have used this service, what was your experience regarding having unlocked bags? Any problems with missing items? Of course, there will be no medication or valuables in the bags, but it still makes me nervous. I’m hoping some of you can ease my concerns. Thank you. 

We have used Luggage Forward, but it has been a few years, 2017.

We had no problems and had the luggage delivered directly to the ship, London on Viking Sea.

Have also used Luggage Free to NYC on Crystal Serenity, again no problems.

This October we will be using Luggage Forward to Tokyo for an Explorer cruise. Since we have a 3 day pre cruise stay we intend to have it shipped directly to the hotel.

We intend to use Air Tags this time just in case.

In our experience it is well worth the expense. Not having to deal with luggage is a good thing.

It might be useful to know that your travel insurance likely will not cover luggage that you ship separately - only bags that accompany you. I expect that the luggage handling company offers coverage if you are concerned about loss or delay.

I’m not too concerned about the cost of loss or delay of the bags, but I am concerned about someone being tempted to riffle through the contents during the shipping process. An unlocked bag might be hard to ignore, so I’m wondering if any of you have run into this problem. I realize if I’m so concerned I shouldn’t ship the luggage, but I do want to try it out. 

That’s what I was assuming. I remember in the weeks after 9/11 we weren’t allowed to lock our luggage regardless of where we were going to or coming from. We all just took our chances. That’s what I’ll be doing now; and, hopefully, I’ll have a glowing report on Luggage Forward. Thanks for your replies. 

We used the luggage forward service last year. Absolutely no issues whatsoever. The luggage tags were delivered by hand and the same courier came for the cases on the designated day.

We were a bit apprehensive about leaving luggage unlocked but appreciated it’s compulsory for border security.

We were able to track our cases from the minute they left our home to the hotel. As this was our first time using the service I also contacted our hotel The Sofitel Amsterdam and asked them if they could let us know when luggage arrived, and they did this as arranged.

We knew the cases had been opened as there was a detailed itinerary of all contents inside each case and everything was as exactly as my husband had packed them.  Would definitely recommend this service.   Jean.

• Thanks 1

This is reassuring as we plan to use luggage forward next year on a cruise from Tokyo.  We intend to take a 10 day land trip prior to the cruise so we need to limit our luggage.  Since we will be cruising North in April, our cold weather gear and formal outfits will go via luggage forward.  

• Like 1

We used Luggage Forward because it was included on the Grand Asia Exploration this past February. Like you, We were a bit apprehensive but all went flawlessly. When in doubt, call their customer service line. They are extremely helpful. It’s an awesome service. Wish we could afford it more often. 

Please read the fine print regardless of which company you use. We used Luggage Forward this year during the world cruise. There are many specific items that can’t be shipped. They also do not allow the use of Air Tags. For domestic flights the luggage must be locked; for international flights the luggage cannot be locked. If they find items that are not allowed to be shipped, they return the luggage to the original shipping site, often not allowing enough time to remove the problem items and re-ship.

We didn’t have any problems, but knew several travelers who did. If you read ahead, and know what the rules are, you shouldn’t have any problems.

49 minutes ago, NYC-London said:

I am curious why they will not allow the use of air tags?

I don't think they offer an explanation. I'd guess it's because they don't want customers tracking their own luggage and flooding their customer support with questions/concerns. You can imagine…

"My luggage from Chicago to Athens is in San Francisco; what's going on?!"

"My cruise in Copenhagen begins in just 6 days, and my luggage still hasn't left the US?!"

"Your website shows my luggage in Paris but my AirTag shows it is in London!"

😂

57 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I don't think they offer an explanation. I'd guess it's because they don't want customers tracking their own luggage and flooding their customer support with questions/concerns. You can imagine…

"My luggage from Chicago to Athens is in San Francisco; what's going on?!"

"My cruise in Copenhagen begins in just 6 days, and my luggage still hasn't left the US?!"

"Your website shows my luggage in Paris but my AirTag shows it is in London!"

😂

I’m guessing it’s because Air Tags use batteries, and batteries are not allowed with Luggage Forward. 

10 hours ago, dlouise said:

Luggage Free allows air tags. We used them in June and it was very reassuring to know where are were at any given moment. We shipped our bags to the hotel in Rome.

It must be different with Luggage Free. We used Luggage Forward earlier this year for the first time and they specifically state not to use air tags. I know a friend who has shipped with them and used air tags with no problem. We weren't willing to take the risk as we have heard of people having delays with getting luggage and bering told it was due to air tags being in the luggage.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 1:02 PM, tubeamps said:

We have used Luggage Forward, but it has been a few years, 2017.

We had no problems and had the luggage delivered directly to the ship, London on Viking Sea.

Have also used Luggage Free to NYC on Crystal Serenity, again no problems.

This October we will be using Luggage Forward to Tokyo for an Explorer cruise. Since we have a 3 day pre cruise stay we intend to have it shipped directly to the hotel.

We intend to use Air Tags this time just in case.

In our experience it is well worth the expense. Not having to deal with luggage is a good thing.

Just confirmed with Luggage Forward, they do not allow AirTags because of the battery. 

We have considered using different companies but having heard some horror stories so decided better to lug our own, assuming they arrive on the baggage carousal - which 96% time they do...  The 4% time can be a disaster depending where in the world you are.  Miami, Big Island, not a problem - my wife's luggage was missing the entire river cruise in Europe and didn't get it back until we were home for several days.  Passed from one airline to another.

8 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

so decided better to lug our own, assuming they arrive on the baggage carousal - which 96% time they do...  The 4% time can be a disaster depending where in the world you are.  Miami, Big Island, not a problem - my wife's luggage was missing the entire river cruise in Europe and didn't get it back until we were home for several days.  Passed from one airline to another.

After using Luggage Forward once the tight restrictions on what is allowed plus one suitcase being delayed and when returned the Panama Hats in a hot box slightly damaged likely by customs, we will do as you do. I keep my fingers crossed but so far Singapore Airlines and Qatar Airways have had no issue. We have a tight connection in Changi soon so I hope I am not jinxing us.

Mrs 2SN would look gorgeous in a sack but that doesn't negate the frustration of being without your luggage so my sympathies.