Heathrow layover

CruisingWhale

Hi, I am solo on the Getaway in October 12-22nd and I am meeting my husband in Amsterdam, on the 22nd.  We are flying back home to Washington, DC on the 25th from Amsterdam.  I only have a two hour layover in Heathrow, does anyone know if that's enough time?  I am flying first class, so I will avoid some opf the lines, but with the UK no longer in Brexzit, I think I need to go through immigration in London, as well as back in DC.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

It sounds like you are flying British Aiways. If it is truly a transfer, you never enter the UK and never go through immigrations. You stay outside the country.

You can look at those flights today to figure out what LHR terminal you will arrive and depart from. 

Brexit has no impact on this - the UK was never in the Schengen zone (the common travel area for much of the EU).

The key question is whether you have a single ticket for the itinerary.  If you have a single ticket number covering all legs of your ininerary then your bags will be checked through and at Heathrow you follow the "flight connections" signs and avoid UK immigration (though you will go through another security check).  Two hours would normally be more than adequate, but the Amsterdam route has poor reliability at the moment - endless issues at Schipol.

If you are on separate tickets (even if premium class tickets) then British Airways will never (point blank never) check your bags through.  In that case you would need to clear UK immigration, collect bags then go to bag drop and then security.  BA have hard deadlines of bag drop closing 45 minutes ahead and security check clsoing 35 minutes ahead, so if you are on separate tickets then this is far too tight for my risk appetite.

• 1 month later...

The issues regarding UK and EC entry do not change if you are a citizen of another country.  As UK is no longer an EC country, its citizens are treated as being from outside Europe so if you are from outside Europe already, you will not be treated any differently as an individual than you always have.