Iona cabin tv

Orianababes

Calling those who have sailed on Iona

Cnsidering a cruise on Iona which will include a number of sea days. As such it would be nice to know what the in cabin tv system provides. Recent cruises on Azura and Ventura highlight quite outdated and limited systems. Britannia does have more films etc. I expect that Iona must have even more “entertainment “. Will not be looking to spend all cruise watching tv but would appreciate a good overview of what Iona ‘ s in cabin entertainment provides. Thanks in anticipation 

There are loads of films on the Iona, some TV series/episodes, and some travelogue type shows, but I think the film selection was brilliant. Most admittedly were older, but they are free. They are also organised by genre, but sometimes maybe not the most appropriate category so it’s worth flicking through.

2 hours ago, Orianababes said:

Britannia does have more films etc. I expect that Iona must have even more “entertainment “. 

Having sailed on both Britannia and Iona, I would say the range of 'on demand' films was exactly the same on both, with new films being added as they are released.

23 hours ago, Advanced Diver said:

Or if you take a laptop you can connect it via HDMI and watch all of Netflix, or Prime or IPlayer (provided you are proactive about downloading films/shows).

You could tune in to the bowcam and see what the world looks like outside the cabin.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2023 at 5:03 PM, Advanced Diver said:

Or if you take a laptop you can connect it via HDMI and watch all of Netflix, or Prime or IPlayer (provided you are proactive about downloading films/shows).

Are there available HDMI sockets on the TVs, I looked but could not see one.

On 8/12/2023 at 7:51 PM, terrierjohn said:

I thought I did, but I may be getting it mixed up with Arcadia. On a longer cruise I'll use it to view photos but for me I just use the laptop as Mrs Advanced Diver likes to read while I watch more films and TV.

On 8/12/2023 at 7:51 PM, terrierjohn said:

There are, but as the TVs are fitted tight within the surrounding wood frame they are virtually impossible to reach.

Then there is also the issue that the TVs on Iona are running 'hotel TV software' which frequently locks out the other inputs from being selected even if you did manage to get something plugged in.

That said, if you can access the HDMI sockets and select them, then rather than plugging a laptop in directly, a neater solution is to use a Chromecast and a travel router and then 'cast' to the TV from the laptop.

2 hours ago, 9265359 said:

There are, but as the TVs are fitted tight within the surrounding wood frame they are virtually impossible to reach.

Then there is also the issue that the TVs on Iona are running 'hotel TV software' which frequently locks out the other inputs from being selected even if you did manage to get something plugged in.

That said, if you can access the HDMI sockets and select them, then rather than plugging a laptop in directly, a neater solution is to use a Chromecast and a travel router and then 'cast' to the TV from the laptop.

The accessible cabin TVs on Iona are hinged so they can be pivoted to provide a better viewing angle when you have the twin bed set up. I looked on the back but could not see any free sockets.

50 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Unplug whatever is already plugged in...

There was no way to do that, there was a large box fitted to the back of the TV, with sealed connection cables, that presumably provided all the cabin TV  facilities, but no way I could see to disconnect any even if I knew what it was I was disconnecting.