Celebrity vs Holland American

nextariel

On 8/22/2023 at 9:25 AM, cruisemom42 said:

With all due respect, there is more to consider than just itinerary for destination travelers. There is also size of ship and time in port, just to name a couple. Smaller ships means fewer passengers, which can make a big difference in ease of getting ashore, especially where there are tender ports. I’m currently on an Oceania cruise with 4 stops in Greenland. Tendering has not been an issue even if not on a ship tour.

How are you liking your Oceania cruise so far? We booked our first one in March 2025 after Celebrity pulled out of the South America market this last month.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

How are you liking your Oceania cruise so far? We booked our first one in March 2025 after Celebrity pulled out of the South America market this last month.

I’ll write about it when I’m back. For now will just say very many positives from my point of view but no line is perfect.

• Like 2

HAL ships are about Solstice-class sized, but with a single coverable Lidi pool, instead of Solarium and uncovered pool. Less sales pressure to get or upgrade packages. No real class system, as on Celebrity, except for cabanas that you won't want on that cruise. Crow's Nest is like the Sky Lounge on X. HAL got rid of production shows and have corporatized music venues, the same on every ship, so there won't be the great Celebrity shows. Buffets are more varied on X, and HAL doesn't have the open area with islands, so you get in lines and mostly have food served to you. Best part of HAL for me is the wraparound promenade decks, where you can walk and enjoy views close to the water. I have over 150 nights on HAL, but took 5 cruises on Solstice last year, and one on Apex, an amazing ship. You'll probably see an older crowd on HAL, less diverse crew, but a British Isles cruise will be mostly about destinations, so I think HAL is probably the best for varied itineraries, combined with comfort and pleasure.