Can You Get Maps in the Canada and US Ports?

tring

Wondering if you can pick up map at the terminal like usually happens in The Med, or if we will need to print some out?

We are thinking perhaps not for Isle de la Madeleine, but are hopeful for the others.  They are Sydney, Charlottetown, Boston, Newport, Manhattan, Portland, Bar Harbor, Halifax, St John's, though we are unlikely to need one in St. John's as will be meeting relatives who live there.  Any help on this appreciated.

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, tring said:

Wondering if you can pick up map at the terminal like usually happens in The Med, or if we will need to print some out?

We are thinking perhaps not for Isle de la Madeleine, but are hopeful for the others.  They are Sydney, Charlottetown, Boston, Newport, Manhattan, Portland, Bar Harbor, Halifax, St John's, though we are unlikely to need one in St. John's as will be meeting relatives who live there.  Any help on this appreciated.

Hi Tring,

Not sure whether this will help but there is a site called whatsinpor... can't name it co.pletely as nice advertising allowed. But you only need the last letter. They have a lot of info in their site. Which we have found very useful for our upcoming Canada,New England cruise.

By any chance do you live in Tring? We live near Redbourn.

Linda and Gary

I got a nice map in the visitors center in Portland, right at the end of the pier.

Regarding St. John's, are you sure you are going there, and not Saint John? They are different ports, and the second is the more usual cruise ship stop. There have been stories of passengers booking a rental car in the wrong one!

• Like 1

Although getting online ahead of time is still a good idea as suggested above, to answer OP question:  Yes, most of these ports have a map of the immediate area, either as an advertising-sponsored folded pamphlet or placemat.

You can also download Google maps of each city to your phone.  GPS will work even in airplane mode and without the need for data or wi-fi.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I got a nice map in the visitors center in Portland, right at the end of the pier.

Regarding St. John's, are you sure you are going there, and not Saint John? They are different ports, and the second is the more usual cruise ship stop. There have been stories of passengers booking a rental car in the wrong one!

Thank you, we should be OK for Portland then.  Yes I am absolutely sure it is St John's, we are meeting my brother and SIL who live there.  Should not need a map but their health is not brilliant these days, so they may not want to meet early morning, in which case we will we will likely have a bit of a stroll - we have been to the local attractions like Signal Hill previously when we were all a tad fitter and younger.

Booking a car hire in the wrong port would certainly be a big problem, but in some ways amazing that they had done that as they are so far apart and not even in the same province.  It is kind of you to point out the difference though as I have noticed is is a common mistake on here.  We are actually on a 30 night sailing form the UK to NY and back with three days in NY and two in Boston with the order of the ports being according to the list I had put above (apart from Isle de la Madeleine, which is our second port).  St. John's is the nearest port to the UK, so is a common port on any itineraries from here, if the ship can traverse The Narrows of course, which is always a bit of a concern.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, westwindwins said:

Hi Tring,

Not sure whether this will help but there is a site called whatsinpor... can't name it co.pletely as nice advertising allowed. But you only need the last letter. They have a lot of info in their site. Which we have found very useful for our upcoming Canada,New England cruise.

By any chance do you live in Tring? We live near Redbourn.

Linda and Gary

I did not even think of the town of Tring when I chose my online name, though I am aware it exists down there in the south.  So many of my ideas were rejected as already taken that I was largely putting all sort of gobbledygook in and that one was accepted.  I have done a lot of searching around and What's in Port is one of the places I look, being very good at locating the docking location(s) for the ports and other things.  It is travel agents that cannot be named on here as CC act as an agent, so do not want anywhere else to be advertised, which is understandable.  The ban on mention of social media groups is also something that could be a competition to the existence of these boards, though must admit I fond CC far better than social media as a tool to get reliable information.

31 minutes ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Although getting online ahead of time is still a good idea as suggested above, to answer OP question:  Yes, most of these ports have a map of the immediate area, either as an advertising-sponsored folded pamphlet or placemat.

You can also download Google maps of each city to your phone.  GPS will work even in airplane mode and without the need for data or wi-fi.

Thanks a lot for your reply, yes, just what I wanted to know.  DH has downloaded the maps for each of the ports, which are good and very useful, especially if you are not entirely sure of where you are 🙂

I do like a hard copy of a map though to get an overview and saves wandering around with a phone in hand.  So if they are usually available we will not bother with print outs, which we have often done previously, though I have taken directions and rough notes/sketches to get to places we have a particular interest to see.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone,

Barbara

2 hours ago, tring said:

Thank you, we should be OK for Portland then.  Yes I am absolutely sure it is St John's, we are meeting my brother and SIL who live there.  Should not need a map but their health is not brilliant these days, so they may not want to meet early morning, in which case we will we will likely have a bit of a stroll - we have been to the local attractions like Signal Hill previously when we were all a tad fitter and younger.

Booking a car hire in the wrong port would certainly be a big problem, but in some ways amazing that they had done that as they are so far apart and not even in the same province.  It is kind of you to point out the difference though as I have noticed is is a common mistake on here.  We are actually on a 30 night sailing form the UK to NY and back with three days in NY and two in Boston with the order of the ports being according to the list I had put above (apart from Isle de la Madeleine, which is our second port).  St. John's is the nearest port to the UK, so is a common port on any itineraries from here, if the ship can traverse The Narrows of course, which is always a bit of a concern.

Thank you for answering!  The confusion of the two cities comes up on a regular basis here.

Your cruise sounds wonderful!  I'm curious to know what ship/cruiseline you will be on.

2 hours ago, tring said:

I did not even think of the town of Tring when I chose my online name, though I am aware it exists down there in the south.  So many of my ideas were rejected as already taken that I was largely putting all sort of gobbledygook in and that one was accepted.  I have done a lot of searching around and What's in Port is one of the places I look, being very good at locating the docking location(s) for the ports and other things.  It is travel agents that cannot be named on here as CC act as an agent, so do not want anywhere else to be advertised, which is understandable.  The ban on mention of social media groups is also something that could be a competition to the existence of these boards, though must admit I fond CC far better than social media as a tool to get reliable information.

Thanks a lot for your reply, yes, just what I wanted to know.  DH has downloaded the maps for each of the ports, which are good and very useful, especially if you are not entirely sure of where you are 🙂

I do like a hard copy of a map though to get an overview and saves wandering around with a phone in hand.  So if they are usually available we will not bother with print outs, which we have often done previously, though I have taken directions and rough notes/sketches to get to places we have a particular interest to see.

Barbara

I know what you mean about finding a name. Took a while for me to find one. 

Hope you enjoy your cruise. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Thank you for answering!  The confusion of the two cities comes up on a regular basis here.

Your cruise sounds wonderful!  I'm curious to know what ship/cruiseline you will be on.

We are on Aurora, currently one of the two smallest ships from P&O Cruise Lines, which is a Carnival Corporation cruise line.  That is different to P&O Australia, which is another Carnival Line.  Over the last few years they have done this cruise, (perhaps with the odd port change), to NY and back every September on either Aurora, or the other smaller one, Arcadia, (though neither are that small).  The othe ship does a 24 night cruise up the St Lawrence to Quebec and back, but they swap the ships around each year.  So next year Arcadia does this run and Aurora the St. Lawrence.

They are not the only UK based company to do those sort of routes roundtrip from the UK occasionally, but 13 port days on this one, which is good.  

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 11:33 AM, tring said:

Barbara

Hi Barbara, Could you please tell me how to print up maps for the cruise ports of Sydney, and Saint John?

8 hours ago, butterfly55 said:

Hi Barbara, Could you please tell me how to print up maps for the cruise ports of Sydney, and Saint John?

DH uses Google maps downloaded to his phone.  On some cruises we have printed out maps we have got on the What's in Port website, or part of them, if they look useful.  You can search for maps as well online, some are better than others.

Edited by tring

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 5:32 AM, tring said:

DH uses Google maps downloaded to his phone.  On some cruises we have printed out maps we have got on the What's in Port website, or part of them, if they look useful.  You can search for maps as well online, some are better than others.

Thanks Tring.